Are you feeling the credit crunch??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Yes. Pay rise frozen, getting interviewed for our jobs tomorrow, one in three must go.
Starting a four day week next week if we're still here.

We've had a pay cut which worked out at £82 a week before tax. Otherwise, I haven't really noticed. We've just taken out a new mortgage which was quite hard to get hold of, but that's about it.

Chris James

Über Member
Plax said:
No. I'm quite enjoying the credit crunch so far. I've had a pay rise and the interest on my morgage payments has gone down to 2% (don't you just love trackers!).
The interest rates on my ISA and savings are pitiful though.

That bit is broadly the same as me.

However, both my kids are now at nursery three days a week are we are hit with a bill of between £800 and £1020 a month. The credit crunch could have nowhere near this disastrous effect on my finances, beyond redundancy.

Chris James

Über Member
longers said:
Yes. Pay rise frozen, getting interviewed for our jobs tomorrow, one in three must go.
Starting a four day week next week if we're still here.

Being interviewed for your own job seems to be the flavour of the month. They did it at our local newspaper, and our local doctors. Good luck.

My pay was frozen too.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
postman said:
I'll ask the wife.

We must be.

That is the reason given for the refusal of a new bike.

That sounds more like an excuse than a reason ;)

It's still not too late to point out advantages of having another bike - more activity through the increased motivation to go out and ride the new machine vs the health threatening properties of the new kitchen - more adventurous calorie laden meals cooked to take advantage of the enhance facilities and the detrimental effects that this will have on the waist line, lining of the arteries and your life expectancy.

I know it's no consolation but I'm taking delivery of a refurbished frame tomorrow and should have another bike built by the weekend. The credit crunch has been noticeable in the massive hike in prices for Shimano components between last summer and now. I'm having to purchase some components from the Sora range to stay on budget and even then some are s/h though effectively new through being unused.

New Sora stuff now costs more than I paid for the equivalent 105 and Tiagra components from last summer.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I don't have a lot of work or income.
My current concern is not having any teaching work in September unless we can find a few more students to take up the course.

Mr Pig

We were on a fixed rate for years, just ended as the crunch hit so we're back on the tracker and saving money. A mate took out a fixed just before the rates started to drop, he's not happy! ;0)

Lost my job at the start of this year, but got another pretty quick so was able to bank the payoff. Mortgage on the main house is a tracker at 0.6% above base so saving loads on that. The missus is still not working as she's looking after her folks, but we don't really need her salary.
I think people who are frugal (ie relatively debt free) will be OK.
Its the people who have been "living on the edge" without a safety cushion of cash who will struggle if their circumstances change. Its sad, but many people my age (mid 30s) just do not save and treat credit as income.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have no mortgage and no children, and no debts, unless you count the car service and insurance this month.

I have cut down on eating out, and on the alcohol consumed. I keep a close eye on special offers, but only on things I would buy anyway. I do tend to go for quality over quantity regarding food. For instance buying nice ice-cream instead of the cheap stuff, but then eat less of it, but without kids around, that is easy for me to say.

Top Bottom