Are you feeling the credit crunch??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Our house is paid for, we're not earning and living on savings/investments. Some of them have taken a hit but generally speaking they're just not earning as much as projected. We were planning quite extensive renovations but have postponed those plans for the time being. Playing safe rather panicking.

snorri

Legendary Member
I haven't had a win on the Premium Bonds since September.:biggrin:

gavintc

Guru
I think if you are in a secure job, things are good - very good right now. If you are looking for a job or in the parts of the economy that is hurting it is probably hard. Personally, it is good, but I am not sure that this period will last for long. I think prices are going to start to rise soon and I predict more unemployment before we turn the corner.

I just wish bike parts were not quite so expensive.

Plax

Guru
snorri said:
I haven't had a win on the Premium Bonds since September.:biggrin:

I cashed all my premium bonds in. Ernie obviously didn't like me as I never won anything. Thought my money would be better spent languishing elsewhere.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Plax said:
I cashed all my premium bonds in. Ernie obviously didn't like me as I never won anything. Thought my money would be better spent languishing elsewhere.

Can you lend me some money to buy a recumbent then?
*hopeful*

:biggrin:

Plax

Guru
TheDoctor said:
Can you lend me some money to buy a recumbent then?
*hopeful*

:biggrin:

Don't be silly. My sister didn't buy me a teddy of a beaver clutching a purse with "tight beaver" written on it for nothing you know!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Plax said:
Don't be silly. My sister didn't buy me a teddy of a beaver clutching a purse with "tight beaver" written on it for nothing you know!

There are so many euphemisms in there that I'm not even going to bother!:biggrin:

longers said:
Yes. Pay rise frozen, getting interviewed for our jobs tomorrow, one in three must go.
Starting a four day week next week if we're still here.

Grim Longers, doesn't seem that long ago you were going through a similiar process: Hope it goes well, they kept you last time so you must be good for them.

GentleBenn

Veteran
Yes ! Been on a 4 day week for 6 weeks now, they cut our travelling money down by a third too, all us engineers have took about an 8 grand pay cut,and today there was talk of redundancies,it dont look bright !:biggrin:

gbb

Legendary Member
Worked through the last recession in the 90's...never really felt it, or worried about it.
This one seems much worse...and i have a stable (ish) job.

Petrol, still steadfastly trying to only use £10 to £15 worth a week. Its hard with the new car...i just want to drive the bloody thing, but i always try to minimise its use.
Food, really noticeable price rises.
Electric and gas bills...i'm dreading those. Robbing barstewards.
Holiday...was going to use the caravan this year, but the lure of the sun got the better of us. I only get 4 weeks holiday a year...bugger the cost, i want to enjoy it.
I usually have two holidays abroad, 2 weeks in the summer and 1 week in spring. Just the one this year tho...not too bad for me cos i usually travel abroad for work at least once a year as well.
I'm dreading the impact of the Euro though. Last year working in Cyprus, you coud get an OK meal for two for 40 Euros max. Just been back last month, and the same cost between 50 and 70 Euros

Had a payfreeze for the last two years, and worse still, no bonus this year either...on the upside, my earnings hav'nt dropped overall.

Mortgage is only small (circa £20K) so any drops in the rates dont really show in a noticeable way.

My one regret is not paying some more off the capital. Ive been lazy and concentrating on swelling the bank balance...what goods that doing me now with the interest rates :biggrin:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Plax said:

Pfffffffffffffft!!!!!!! Other than that, I'm not even going to comment.
Except to say it'll be me buying the cakes next time, clearly!!!!;)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
longers said:
Yes. Pay rise frozen, getting interviewed for our jobs tomorrow, one in three must go.
Starting a four day week next week if we're still here.

Only just seen this. I hope it goes OK Longers.
Not a happy position to be in.

Plax said:

I missed that the first time around: There's just nothing you can say really......

GrahamG

Guru
My job is secure until public spending starts being cut so in the meantime I'm trying to be frugal. Lots of pros/cons: no debt/pay freeze, rents down/council tax up, good time to buy shares/interest on any savings crap.

Top Bottom