Can you relate to Froome?I

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
When I'm struggling along, dipping my head at my stem I think 'this must be what Froome feels like, only 20mph faster, maybe I should stick my elbows out...'

It's a special thing to get a sportsperson who is both at the pinnacle of what they do, but also friendly and empathic. The requirement for the first doesn't share any real need for the second in most sports. We've kind of come round to Froome, he's smiling a bit more and seems to be happier in general, probably because it's not his first tour victory. As for 'can he relate to us'? I doubt any of the top flight lot from any sport can. Like any other celebrity they are cocooned in to a life that is nothing like the one the majority of us live. Regional accent or no.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I do think he looks like ET.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
When I'm struggling along, dipping my head at my stem I think 'this must be what Froome feels like, only 20mph faster, maybe I should stick my elbows out...'

It's a special thing to get a sportsperson who is both at the pinnacle of what they do, but also friendly and empathic. The requirement for the first doesn't share any real need for the second in most sports. We've kind of come round to Froome, he's smiling a bit more and seems to be happier in general, probably because it's not his first tour victory. As for 'can he relate to us'? I doubt any of the top flight lot from any sport can. Like any other celebrity they are cocooned in to a life that is nothing like the one the majority of us live. Regional accent or no.
To my way of thinking, relating is a reciprocal activity. And, as a person grown up in a land of cities, accents - and reknowned for its often black, deadpan humour - these are things that I can recognise in BF and GT. This seems to help the ''warming to'' bit.

Also, I've started making an effort to tuck my elbows in because it looks so wrong...

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Give the guy a break.

I am sure i heard on a documentary on the TV the other day that ITV4 did that he was born in Gloucestershire and his mum moved to Kenya after her divorce.

Whatever he represents GB and may not of been the first to win the TdF or be a sparkly TV celeb but the man has won it twice.

Good on you Chris, chuffed you represent GB:okay:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I would've thought keen cyclists could relate to Froome's endeavours better than non-cyclists. That said, knowledge of the professional sport brings with it so much history and baggage that it can colour one's view.

On a broader note I think The Great British Public™ like their sporting heroes to have a bit of an edge and be somewhat anti-establishment. It's why Ronnie O'Sullivan has a bigger following than Shaun Murphy or why folk in the street prefer Freddie Flintoff and Beefy Botham to Ian Bell and Mike Brearley. Success and talent gets you so far. After that it's about appearing ordinary and yet extraordinary, or seemingly indestructible whilst teetering on the verge of self-destruction.

No one knows or has seen enough of Froome. He's extremely good at his job, one of the best in the world, but that seems to be not enough to truly endear a sportsman* to the public.

*I used that word purposely. I suspect it's different for sportswomen.
/\/\ this. Wiggo, whilst flawed, has charisma that appeals to most. Purist riders appreciate Froome more...but how many of them are there.

I am the perfect candidate to answer this as I know nothing about either, other than what I have seen on TDF interviews, Wiggo wins hands down as a personality with a rebellious streak which without doubt appeals to my desire to associate myself with an edgy, up front and slightly eccentric national image.

Froome would make a perfect German.

I am not German.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Mo Farah is from Somalia. It makes no difference to me, the guy represents GB and I can see how proud he is doing so.

Froome, as far as I'm concerned represents this country and does it very well. He is a gentleman and doesn't do anything to make the public think he should not represent this country.

Not everyone lives in another country for convenience. I had no saying in where I came to this world but it's my decision where I want to die and be buried.

Difference between Mo Farah and Froome is that Mo came to the UK as a small boy to escape Somalia, then found he could run a bit, then became a top athlete. Froome took UK nationality when he was already a very promising cyclist in order to reach the top level.

I think, given the opportunity, I'd rather go for a drink with Froome than Wiggins.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
For me the archetypal road cyclist is taciturn anyway; road cycling is like mountaineering, mostly a solitary activity not a team sport and in my mind the professional roadie is a rather grim individualist not a flamboyant party animal like a footballer or rugby player.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Wiggins at least has a bit of regional accent, did grow up riding the streets of London, and has a very British kind of humour.
Ugh. He's a caricature. His raffle joke on the podium during his win (for example) grated on me as disrespectful; reminding me of people I've known who'd sooner be "hilarious" than consider their surroundings and other people.

An amazing talent, but his post 2012 persona really irks me. YMMV, naturally.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
[QUOTE 3822975, member: 259"]Mo Farah is a diamond geezer and I'm sure he'd be a lot more interesting than either of them. And he wouldn't waffle on about the frigging Style Council either.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, typo. Froome rather than Wiggins. Farah? Certainly. Although I'd probably do the horrible star-struck thing and tell him that I screamed my lungs out at him during the 2012 Olympics 5,000m race. Idiot went far too early. He had done enough training for the event, but I certainly hadn't.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
British Public like their sporting heroes to be supremely talented but otherwise just like them. So the likes of Botham, Flintoff, Gascoigne, Best, O'Sullivan etc etc. Not Gower, Strauss, Lineker, Davis, Hendry
So whilst Wiggins is undoubtedly a knob of the highest order he chimes with the "man of the people" persona he's worked so hard to develop. Froome looks, sounds and acts like an alien so will never be taken to our hearts in the same way

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
First British TdF winner? First two time winner? Olympic gold medallist? World road champ? British road champ umpteen times? Look no further than Nicole Cooke.

Don't mess around with a guy with comedy sideburns, and a guy who claims to be British but has never even lived here.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
British Public like their sporting heroes to be supremely talented but otherwise just like them. So the likes of Botham, Flintoff, Gascoigne, Best, O'Sullivan etc etc. Not Gower, Strauss, Lineker, Davis, Hendry
OTOH, maybe the media finds it easier to sell personalities with some obvious man of the people "hook" than they do the more thoughtful types, and the popularity becomes self reinforcing.

Top Bottom