Can you relate to Froome?I

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
You get the same time as the group you were with if you crash in the last 3k so he would still have won the GC.
Not if he didnt finish the race - you still have to cross the finish line

Just like tony martin had too with his broken collar bone, why do you think he got on his bike while busted up like he was.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I still think you need to cross the line with your bike.
Not if he didnt finish the race - you still have to cross the finish line

Just like tony martin had too with his broken collar bone, why do you think he got on his bike while busted up like he was.
I thought the same, but I just checked the UCI rules ...

Finish
2.6.027 In the case of a duly noted fall, puncture or mechanical incident in the last three kilometers of a
road race stage, the rider or riders involved shall be credited with the time of the rider or riders in
whose company they were riding at the moment of the accident. His or their placing shall be deter
mined by the order in which he or they actually cross the finishing line.

If, as the result of a duly noted fall in the last three kilometers, a rider cannot cross the finishing line, he
shall be placed last in the stage and credited with the time of the rider or riders in whose company he
was riding at the time of the accident.

So, no - you do not have to finish the stage!

gavintc

Guru

Finish
In the case of a duly noted fall, puncture or mechanical incident in the last three kilometers of a
road race stage, the rider or riders involved shall be credited with the time of the rider or riders in
whose company they were riding at the moment of the accident. His or their placing shall be deter

If, as the result of a duly noted fall in the last three kilometers, a rider cannot cross the finishing line, he
shall be placed last in the stage and credited with the time of the rider or riders in whose company he

Thanks for that clarification.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is quite interesting looking through THE RULES.

I just found this, which explains the disqualification in a recent race for taking a wheel from a rider from another team. (I can't remember which race it was, but I think they were both Aussies ...)

Note - it also suggests that dragging a dead teammate across the finish line would not be allowed, but they seemed to turn a blind eye to it with Tony Martin.

Rights and duties of riders
2.3.012 All riders may render each other such minor services as lending or exchanging food, drink, spanners
or accessories.

The lending or exchanging of tubular tyres or bicycles and waiting for a rider who has been dropped
or involved in an accident shall be permitted only amongst riders of the same team.

The pushing of one rider by another shall in all cases be forbidden, on pain of disqualification.

jowwy

Finish
In the case of a duly noted fall, puncture or mechanical incident in the last three kilometers of a

Seems not even tv commentators know the rules then

Citius

A lot of people here seem to know an awful lot about Froome, all of a sudden. Including imagined, hypothetical stuff that he might or might not do. To55ers.

So much for being a 'sky fan boy' eh.... :laugh:

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It is quite interesting looking through THE RULES.

Rights and duties of riders
All riders may render each other such minor services as lending or exchanging food, drink, spanners
or accessories.

Weren't two of them fined when one gave another a gel?

Perhaps, wait for it, it's different for gels.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Weren't two of them fined when one gave another a gel?

Perhaps, wait for it, it's different for gels.

IIRC Froome and Porte in 2013 when Froome first won the tour. They got time penalties, but it was because they were in the last 10 or 20km of the stage and Porte went back to the team car for the gel. Depending on the stage you aren't allowed to get food or drink from the team car in the last 10km (for mountain stages I think) or 20km (for all other stages)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist

Finish

Yeah, well, you can prove anything with facts.

Citius

British Public like their sporting heroes to be supremely talented but otherwise just like them. So the likes of Botham, Flintoff, Gascoigne, Best, O'Sullivan etc etc. Not Gower, Strauss, Lineker, Davis, Hendry
So whilst Wiggins is undoubtedly a knob of the highest order he chimes with the "man of the people" persona he's worked so hard to develop. Froome looks, sounds and acts like an alien so will never be taken to our hearts in the same way

^^ This, basically. Which is why you get all the chumps claiming that he's not a 'real' Brit and would never do the kind of stuff that Wiggo did. Well, that's true - Froome can win in the mountains and on the flat.

Herbie

Veteran
Fantastic victory for Chris Froome and Team Sky, in what I consider the best Tour de France I can remember. So I consider it a bit of a shame that the media keep plugging away with telling us that the British public can't relate to him, or that he hasn't got the same appeal as Sir Bradley Wiggins.

Personally, I have total admiration and respect for Froome and all that he has achieved, backed, of course, by a fantastic team. His athletic prowess and work ethic stand alone, and I always enjoyed listening to his measured, calm and straight answers during post-stage interviews.

I guess Wiggins is always going to be the bigger star, as the first Briton to win the Tour, and for his exploits during the Olympics, but his self-centred arrogant attitude (which may be a necessary part of his make up to achieve his undoubted successes I guess) really grate with me.

If Froome really doesn't connect with the public just because he possibly comes across as slightly reserved when being interviewed then that is a real shame, because he's every bit as capable as any other Brit in the saddle.......and he's our first multiple Tour winner.

Okay he lives in Monaco, but that is as much to do with access to training environments as anything else, but when all is said and done, Froome is just as British as Sir Brad.

I don't dislike Wiggins, but I just hope Chris Froome gets the deserved recognition for his absolutely outstanding achievements.

I'm in awe of Chris Froome....i reckon he and Chris Hoy are the nicest chaps in cycling/sport ....they can to tea at mines anytime :smile:

jowwy

Strange that as im pretty sure wiggins climbed mountains on his way a tdf win in 2012 or did he go up by helicopter and wait at the top???? He also climbed during his TOB win, his tour of califfornia win, his paris - nice win, his dauphine win

jowwy

Give the guy a break.

I am sure i heard on a documentary on the TV the other day that ITV4 did that he was born in Gloucestershire and his mum moved to Kenya after her divorce.

Whatever he represents GB and may not of been the first to win the TdF or be a sparkly TV celeb but the man has won it twice.

Good on you Chris, chuffed you represent GB:okay:
Christopher "Chris" Froome (born 20 May 1985) is a Kenyan-born Britishprofessional road racing cyclist riding for UCI ProTeamTeam Sky. He is seen as one of the most successful riders of the recent era.[4][5] Brought up in Kenya and South Africa

Top Bottom