Can you relate to Froome?I

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lemond

I don't think Froome is interested in being a celebrity or hogging the spotlight. He comes across, IMHO, as a very quiet, dedicated and humble guy, who just loves to ride his bike. I'd say Wiggins is no less dedicated, but he seems more at ease dealing with the media; he knows what they thrive on and seems more comfortable and happy to give them a joke or decent quote.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I don't think Froome is interested in being a celebrity or hogging the spotlight. He comes across, IMHO, as a very quiet, dedicated and humble guy, who just loves to ride his bike. I'd say Wiggins is no less dedicated, but he seems more at ease dealing with the media; he knows what they thrive on and seems more comfortable and happy to give them a joke or decent quote.
+1

Wiggo's an extrovert, as is G, which is why they come across as so likeable. I'm not saying that Froome's an introvert but he comes across as more of a closed book. FWIW, I like them both - or as much as you can like anyone you've never met - and don't care which one is the better cyclist. Wiggo wouldn't have won without Froome, Froome wouldn't have won without Porte, G etc, and that my friends, is why we have teams rather than individuals.

Bring on 2016.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I'm not sure it's a more at ease thing, by all accounts the reaction to his 2012 win took him by surprise. Initially I couldn't believe that, but then who outside of cycling fans gave a fig about his third place a couple of years earlier? Most people lauding him in 2012 (and I can count me in that group, I'm only recently returned to cycling) had no idea what else he'd done with the Tour.

You can see from some of the dodgy stuff he's done in the limelight since 2012 that he isn't really right for it and he allegedly really wants the quiet life most of the time which isn't really an option for him anymore. For me he has a huge a potential to end up as one of sports unfortunate cast offs if he isn't careful (ala George Best, Gazza, his dad...).

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3822558, member: 259"]He's better. He's won it twice.
it's to do with tax.[/QUOTE]

He moved there before he started earning good money, or even knew he may start earning good money.

screenman

Legendary Member
Give the guy a break.

I am sure i heard on a documentary on the TV the other day that ITV4 did that he was born in Gloucestershire and his mum moved to Kenya after her divorce.

Whatever he represents GB and may not of been the first to win the TdF or be a sparkly TV celeb but the man has won it twice.

Good on you Chris, chuffed you represent GB:okay:

ITV4 seems t have it different from his book then.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
There is one selfless act that wiggo did, that froome would never consider and thats put himself at the head of the race on the champs elyesse to lead out a sprint train, knowing that a huge crash could stop him from finishing and winning the tdf.....wiggo did that, for his friend cavendish

Last edited:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
There is one selfless act that wiggo did, that froome would never consider and thats put himself at the head of the race on the champs elyesse to lead out a sprint training, knowing that a huge crash could stop him from finishing and winning the tdf.....wiggo did that, for his friend cavendish
The only thing that topped that was the sight of the guy wearing the World Champion jersey going back to the team car and riding back up the peloton with the aforementioned rainbow jersey stuffed full of water bottles. No job too small and all that.

screenman

Legendary Member
There is one selfless act that wiggo did, that froome would never consider and thats put himself at the head of the race on the champs elyesse to lead out a sprint train, knowing that a huge crash could stop him from finishing and winning the tdf.....wiggo did that, for his friend cavendish

Was that not in the final 3k? I could be mistaken of course.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Was that not in the final 3k? I could be mistaken of course.
It was, but if wiggo had crashed, broke his leg and not been able to get over the finish then its end of tdf, as you still have to finish to be declared the winner

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
It was, but if wiggo had crashed, broke his leg and not been able to get over the finish then its end of tdf, as you still have to finish to be declared the winner
You get the same time as the group you were with if you crash in the last 3k so he would still have won the GC.

Top Bottom