Scotland : Argyll, Isles & Loch Lomond CC Ecosse Loch Lomond ride - Sat January 18

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Home, showered, hair washed :girl: some bits of me are still not thawed!
Ride report summary: OMG! :laugh: How did I get the weather to come so wrong? And how did @Telemark get it so right?
According to the Met office, also according to my nose (sniffed the air before setting out ^_^) I expected just the usual drizzle, mild temperature considering it's January.
At some point I remember saying to George @GBC "well, this is not so bad, not even windy" ... he answered "don't jinx us" ... how right he was!
Not even into 5 miles it started peltering down, the temperature dropped, I could swear the rain became sleet near Dumbarton, my face was hurting :B)
It was a ride of abandonments (@Gee_Dee and @Edwardoka wisely retired into the 10th mile, @phantasmagoriana and I chickened out after the coffee stop in Loch Lomond, took the train back), it was a ride riddled with mechanicals (Gill had a sticky brake, George a slow puncture caused by an embedded flint), above all it was a ride of bravery by our intrepid leader @Rasmus and his knights @mr messy @Harry_Palmer79 @GBC frozen to the bone they rode back home :eek:
Chapeau to them from the bottom of my heart, I could not signal anymore for being so cold!
Hilarious moment: round the corner appears this very short but very steep hill, I utter "^F*&*k$tt*!!!!", Rasmus the ever considerate leader appears at my side, reassuringly saying "it's not as bad as it looks, don't worry".
I was not worried about not making it up, just that my hands were unable to change gear for being frozen ... I was stuck big ring/small ring :laugh: with desperation got into the middle ring, prayed for the momentum to push me up :bicycle:
Haven't uploaded to Strava yet: bet I did smash all records from Glasgow Queen Street to home in the vain attempt to defrost :cold:
Pictures to follow once downloaded from phone, gonna put the kettle on again. :hello:
Forgot: actually the ride was enjoyable (thank you Rasmus), but I need better gear suitable for longer rides in the freezing rain, specially gloves and shoes. My Aldi winter jacket did not bad, took almost to the end for the water to reach the base layer.

OP
OP
Rasmus

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Thankfully the weather improved dramatically in the afternoon, and we made it home without too much trouble. As we approached the SECC it came close to actually being pleasant.

The weather did not play nice today, but as always the company made it worthwhile. Thanks to all for coming along, and special kudos to @phantasmagoriana for taking on her first CC Ecosse ride - hopefully we didn't scare you off ^_^

Pat "5mph"

Thankfully the weather improved dramatically in the afternoon, and we made it home without too much trouble. As we approached the SECC it came close to actually being pleasant.

The weather did not play nice today, but as always the company made it worthwhile. Thanks to all for coming along, and special kudos to @phantasmagoriana for taking on her first CC Ecosse ride - hopefully we didn't scare you off ^_^
On fixed :bravo:

Pat "5mph"

I didn't quite make it all the way home either @Pat "5mph"... a combination of a desperately uncomfortable saddle on the hybrid and cramp setting into my thighs meant I caught the train at Clydebank! When the rain did eventually stop, it seemed to be replaced by wind...still better than work though! :thumbsup:
:hugs:it was good to see you again!

Well done to all who took part, looks like it didn't get any more pleasant weather-wise after we bailed - you all earned the badge of Rule 9 today:bravo:
Sorry again that we wussed out at the Baljaffray road, what with last minute logisticals, minor mechanicals, lack of adequate waterproofing (or mudguards!) plus a lack of general condition meant that we would only continue to hold you back and it was far too cold to be waiting around for us

We'll be back (and more prepared) next time!

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
How's the defrosting going? :cold::hugs:
Spicy food helps ...:hungry:

T

Top Bottom