Scotland : Argyll, Isles & Loch Lomond CC Ecosse Loch Lomond ride - Sat January 18

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:laugh: So my 1st door guess was actually right? :giggle: (Phew ...)

T
Of course! Do you think i'm some kind of malady magnet? :B):laugh:
The iced gingerbread loaf wasn't too bad at all......just throwing that out there......subliminally @Telemark ride next lots......;)

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
No, just a cake magnet (or should that be hooverer-upper)
I raise you a lemon drizzle :tongue: (not bad, but not lemony enough :scratch:)

Now that most people must be at least partly defrosted, the obvious question ...
What next? :hyper: It's a LONG time until @Fubar's islands tour! (still working on that one :thumbsup:)
East? West? Middle? Fife? Somewhere else? :bicycle::bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:

T

No, just a cake magnet (or should that be hooverer-upper)
I raise you a lemon drizzle :tongue: (not bad, but not lemony enough :scratch:)

Now that most people must be at least partly defrosted, the obvious question ...
What next? :hyper: It's a LONG time until @Fubar's islands tour! (still working on that one :thumbsup:)
East? West? Middle? Fife? Somewhere else? :bicycle::bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:

T
Middle-ish.....:secret: Crow Rd :secret:
Before snow comes in April/May :thumbsup:
EDIT: /June/July...

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Did a bit of a wander on rwgps trying to find a cool route to do today to make up for wussing out yesterday.
Would a variant of this route suit sir? http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1037999

Looks like a nice route for the 'advanced' lot :thumbsup: ... it would be great if the starting point could be moved south a bit towards a suitable train station, and it definitely looks like there are some possible shortcuts to possibly take off some of the northern loop. This would allow the group to split like we did at the last Perth ride, depending on how everybody feels on the day/allow the less mile-munching of us to still join for part of the ride, and last but not least a shortcut could be very handy if there is weather similar to yesterday's :cold::rain: ...
Oh, and the hilly stuff might not be sensible if the temperatures drop by a few degrees from the current level, so maybe one for a bit later in the year, as suggested by @mr messy (in a roundabout way, as usual ;))

Hmmm .. thinking aloud some more ... :scratch:
How about a simple low-lying and not too long ride for the next one, seeing as it's still the middle of winter, or do an RV instead?
Less sociable than going for a ride together, but still allowing for chat and cake :mrpig: and possibly more sensible at this time of year :rolleyes:...The crazy lot can always cycle to the start and back home if they want to :tongue:.

If the weather turns really silly and we get a glorious warm & sunny day, there's nothing stopping anybody from putting out a call at short notice (less easy to join in for those with weekend commitments, I know :sad:). Just my 2p ...

T

Looks like a nice route for the 'advanced' lot :thumbsup: ... it would be great if the starting point could be moved south a bit towards a suitable train station, and it definitely looks like there are some possible shortcuts to possibly take off some of the northern loop. This would allow the group to split like we did at the last Perth ride, depending on how everybody feels on the day/allow the less mile-munching of us to still join for part of the ride, and last but not least a shortcut could be very handy if there is weather similar to yesterday's :cold::rain: ...
Oh, and the hilly stuff might not be sensible if the temperatures drop by a few degrees from the current level, so maybe one for a bit later in the year, as suggested by @mr messy (in a roundabout way, as usual ;))

Hmmm .. thinking aloud some more ... :scratch:
How about a simple low-lying and not too long ride for the next one, seeing as it's still the middle of winter, or do an RV instead?
Less sociable than going for a ride together, but still allowing for chat and cake :mrpig: and possibly more sensible at this time of year :rolleyes:...The crazy lot can always cycle to the start and back home if they want to :tongue:.

If the weather turns really silly and we get a glorious warm & sunny day, there's nothing stopping anybody from putting out a call at short notice (less easy to join in for those with weekend commitments, I know :sad:). Just my 2p ...

T
Yeah it's not in any way a final route, I saw someone had plotted it, it's as good a starting point as any for a central Scotland ride.

Milngavie train station would probably be the best start point, and there are plenty of shortcuts that could take some of the more arduous loops out. Going over the Duke's Pass in winter would not be the best idea, with hairy corners on the descent plus ice and all that.

Instead of turning North at Aberfoyle, if we turned East to Port of Monteith, that would get rid of most of the more "interesting" terrain, but still incorporate the Crow Road (no fast corners on that side so less opportunity for high-speed icy offs)

Amended route to start and finish at Milngavie and cut out the Aberfoyle/Callander section http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3929718

Last edited:
Amended route to start and finish at Milngavie and cut out the Aberfoyle/Callander section http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3929718
I wonder if we could look at a start point around either Croy or Lenzie for easier train access without too much route jigging
Could cut the elbow at Milngavie and go through Baldernock for example.
or
Go along Glen/Strathblane Rd

Last edited:

GBC

Veteran
I'll just add my voice and say that despite the inclement weather, it was a great ride, as usual with CC Ecosse:smile: A couple if minor hiccups for me with the aforesaid puncture, and then a wee attack of the cramp on the way home. The last time I got cramp was also on this route, albeit on the Queen's View side - hmmmm, makes you think:unsure: However, it cleared up fairly quickly so we'll just live with it.

Like the photos Pat:thumbsup: and I'm looking forward to the next ride.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
We have quite a few flat-ish (:rolleyes::laugh:) West Lothian routes in the 'suggestions' thread :thumbsup:... Linlithgow might also work as two rides converging from W & E (with the Fifers etc possibly joining the Easties at the FRB?), or how about a simple RV at Linlithgow as the basic plan? People can then hook up along the way as they please ...

T

We have quite a few flat-ish (:rolleyes::laugh:) West Lothian routes in the 'suggestions' thread :thumbsup:... Linlithgow might also work as two rides converging from W & E (with the Fifers etc possibly joining the Easties at the FRB?), or how about a simple RV at Linlithgow as the basic plan? People can then hook up along the way as they please ...

T
....or we could just go to Tenerife :sun::bicycle:

Top Bottom