Scotland : Perthshire CC Ecosse - October 18th - Around the Tay in 90k

Which date do you prefer?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
My dear Bertrand,

I bear shocking news, the Kaiser's eldest, the Archduke has been assassinated. Word may not have reached you yet, with you away to discover the source of the Tay. I fear the worst for Europe, and am very glad to be back among friends.

As to your little expedition, I am afraid I have already accepted a prior invitation to a ladies-only tea party for the day you have agreed. So fear not about your men embarrassing you with their crude ways. We will ride our velocipedes to a suitable establishment, where we will partake of high tea. I am told the proprietress makes the finest cucumber sandwiches for many leagues about, and is noted for the superiority of her cakes. We may be able to acquire some for your delectation and will send Muggins on his way as soon as we are back. The strange fellow is ignorant of the delights of cake, so it should arrive safely.
We will be decorously enrobed in rational dress - we have been to the seamstress in town with the latest fashion journal, and the results are very practical and pleasing indeed. I shall be able to ride my velocipede without forever tearing the seams of my riding dress among the moving parts, or having to wear breeks which is a regrettable source for gossip among the unenlightened of the parish.

Yours forever in steadfast friendship,

T
:tongue:

A Ladies-only tea party you say, eh? Well bristle-my-whiskers - sod Round the Tay, lets get ourselves to that party! What? What? He he he...

Whist the Kaiser is a man of noble stock I'm afraid found the Archduke to be an absolute arse, and I for one will not miss his wind-breaking-and-lighting exploits round the dinner table! Good riddance I say.

I wouldn't trust that buffoon Muggins with your fine confectionery, he'll no doubt feed it to a pig on route or some other such foolery - nay, Edmund Pugglesworth can be despatched directly to personally handle your tasty treats and ensure they reach us firm and fresh. Off you go Edmund, off you go!!!

Lord Bertrand Breckenwind

Mr_Grieve

Über Member
Unfortunately I've not been able to swap and will need to work 18th October so will be unable go:cry:

OP
OP
E

Edwardoka

Greetings, stout-hearted and valiant ones - the OP has been updated!

I apologise unreservedly for the delay in updating the itinerary; my Caledonian manservant McSmiggins returned from the north with a dreadful case of Bloaty Head Syndrome and Delusions of Grandeur, but when he arrived in my study with his muddy boots and his wailing, he was clutching an updated crew list and itinerary which can now be viewed here!

If you could confirm that you are indeed on the list under the appropriate heading, that would be most welcome!

We have made the appropriate preparations, invoked the necessary incantations, cast aside the demons of sluggardliness, and disemboweled the chickens of fortitude...
May the gods of weather look favourably on us all; not to mention the residents of Fife!

All being well, I look forward to seeing you on the 18th!

Hail and well met
Edgar H. Pugglesworth III Esq p.p. squiggle

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Edwardoka

I doubt i'll make this, was hoping the mrs would be working during the day by now but it appears not :cry:
Ya boo sucks!
Shall I have Messrs Bandersnatch and Bandersnatch move you to the Out list or keep you in the Possible list? I'm sure that Bertimus would keep you company as you traverse Darkest Fife!

Col5632

Guru
Ya boo sucks!
Shall I have Messrs Bandersnatch and Bandersnatch move you to the Out list or keep you in the Possible list? I'm sure that Bertimus would keep you company as you traverse Darkest Fife!

More likely out list :sad:

Fubar

Guru
Greetings, stout-hearted and valiant ones - the OP has been updated!

I apologise unreservedly for the delay in updating the itinerary; my Caledonian manservant McSmiggins returned from the north with a dreadful case of Bloaty Head Syndrome and Delusions of Grandeur, but when he arrived in my study with his muddy boots and his wailing, he was clutching an updated crew list and itinerary which can now be viewed here!

If you could confirm that you are indeed on the list under the appropriate heading, that would be most welcome!

We have made the appropriate preparations, invoked the necessary incantations, cast aside the demons of sluggardliness, and disemboweled the chickens of fortitude...
May the gods of weather look favourably on us all; not to mention the residents of Fife!

All being well, I look forward to seeing you on the 18th!

Hail and well met
Edgar H. Pugglesworth III Esq p.p. squiggle

My Dearest Edmund

'Tis still my intent to partake of your adventure, though as yet I am undecided whether to hack my way through the darkest recesses of the Kingdom under my own steam at some unGodly hour or remain long in my four-poster enjoying the delights of my man-servant Hands before mounting the jolly jallopy and arriving fresh and dry in the Fair City - decisions, decisions...

Pray may I ask, have you determined an eatery for the halfway point in Dundinium? A young maiden of my aquantance recommended the "Folk Cafe" to me which does sound rather rustic and merry, though I understand it to be central to the city so our steeds may draw admiring glances from the local yokels - such fine and rare beasts will be tempting trinkets for light fingers! I'm positive you will have our best care central to your thoughts.

So until Saturday young Edmund God Speed, and may wind forever be your mistress!

Lord Bertrand Brekenwind

dhd.evans

Veteran
Chaps, which way will we circle from Perth? Through Fife, or back along the Tay to Dundinium?

I must judge my route accordingly.

OP
OP
E

Edwardoka

Pray may I ask, have you determined an eatery for the halfway point in Dundinium? A young maiden of my aquantance recommended the "Folk Cafe" to me which does sound rather rustic and merry, though I understand it to be central to the city so our steeds may draw admiring glances from the local yokels - such fine and rare beasts will be tempting trinkets for light fingers! I'm positive you will have our best care central to your thoughts.
Ahoy hoy, Lord Bertie!

Alas no, Dundee would be most unsuitable for our noble repast. The Folk Cafe is one that I saunter past with semi-regularity and it looks most wholesome and independent, however the surrounding area would not make a good resting locale for our velocipedes, as it is right on the corner of a busy thoroughfare. Indeed my steed recently took fright when a fearful oik came too close with his horseless carriage, my steed reared back and threw me off right outside the Folk Cafe! What embarrassment!

I have given some thoughts to our provisions, Newport-on-Tay looks likeliest and there are a couple of places that look pleasant. I am fully aware that the byway to Newburgh is remote and that we would need to eat ere we tried to travel it.

OP
OP
E

Edwardoka

Chaps, which way will we circle from Perth? Through Fife, or back along the Tay to Dundinium?

I must judge my route accordingly.
Good morrow sir, I have consulted the barometer and it suggests that there will be a strong wind from the south, which is unfortunate as it means that there is no clear "better" route; were the wind in either of the longitudes then we could have a headwind on the outbound portion of our journey and a tailwind on the homeward portion. As it stands, it looks like both ways will be similarly blustery. My reason for a clockwise route is that the main climb between Newburgh and Wormit is a long drawn-out slog from the Newburgh side and a short sharp attack from the other direction, quickly over.

I will be riding my trusty velocipede from Inchture to and from the start/finish if that is any help.

I'll have to pull out if this ride. A quick check of the fixtures list revealed that I have a football match to attend on the Saturday afternoon. Therefore I will be clad in claret and amber cheering on the mighty Motherwell FC at Fir Park as they attempt to score more goals than Dundee FC.

Have a good, safe and enjoyable ride

OP
OP
E

Edwardoka

I'll have to pull out if this ride. A quick check of the fixtures list revealed that I have a football match to attend on the Saturday afternoon. Therefore I will be clad in claret and amber cheering on the mighty Motherwell FC at Fir Park as they attempt to score more goals than Dundee FC.

Have a good, safe and enjoyable ride
Boo hiss etc!

(Have fun!)

Top Bottom