England : Lancashire ColinJ's 103 km or 107 mile 'Back from the Dead' forum ride Sat 29/03/14

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
THANKS EVERYONE! :cheers:

That went better than I could possibly have hoped for!

There was a great turnout - I didn't do a headcount but I reckon at least 35, maybe a few more.

It was a cool, misty start but the sun came out later and we had wind-assistance up the Trough, hardest climb of the day, and then a great wind-assisted run down to the cafe. We did have to pay for that with a blustery cross/headwind all the way back to Spring Wood, but it was warm and dry so that made it bearable.

I didn't manage to speak to everyone, but thank you all for turning out. I enjoyed riding with those of you that I did end up with.

Special thanks to @Steve H for not only ferrying me both ways, but also waiting about 90 minutes for me to get back to Spring Wood. (He did spend most of that time in a pub, so it wasn't all bad news for him!)

There was some confusion just before Galgate on the return leg. I was having a pee behind a hedge and somehow my group all failed to notice that @tubbycyclist and maybe one or two others had gone on ahead. We were convinced that they were behind us so we waited for them, then sent search parties back down the road. I tried phoning him, but there was no reply. Eventually, he contacted us from Longridge, a few miles ahead of us. I think I tried ringing him, but may have been distracted by Steve H ringing me at about the same time. Sorry about the mix-up tc - I hope you got back ok?

My fitness was better than I expected. I got round a lumpy 104 km (65 mile) wind-blasted route without any problems. I am still not fully fit, but am making good progress week-by-week, and am already fitter than I was before I got ill in 2012. Not carting 55 pounds of extra fat up steep hills makes things a lot easier!

I didn't take any photographs this time because so many other people were doing it. I hope a good selection get posted in this thread or user albums over the next few days.

Thanks to @Arch and @Night Train for the pieces of cake and for dog-sitting so that @coffeejo could come out with us! I ate the cake while luxuriating in a nice Radox bath.

I thought this ride was on tomorrow and had planned on riding to the start to say a few hellos.

Not a lot of point now! Will have to aim for Colins next one then.

Nice day for it though.
That's a pity!

Next forum ride of mine might well be in June. Meanwhile, there should be a slow group of us doing SITD 2 weeks tomorrow. (I intend to do it unless the weather is bad.)

potsy

Rambler
Great day, wonderful company, fantastic to see Colin looking so well and fit after his health problems.

Amazing turnout, don't think I had met more than a handful before and have no chance of remembering all the names.

Colin.jpg

Mickthemove

Über Member
A big thank you to colinJ for organising a great day, route crowd etc, my hatred of headwinds now knows no limits! Thanks also to littgull for keeping us company for the last 20 mile?

Just a top day!

tubbycyclist

Enjoyed that ride - so thanks all , and I hope @ColinJ is inspired to organise some of those hilly forum rides that have been missing from the calendar!

There was some confusion just before Galgate on the return leg. I was having a pee behind a hedge and somehow my group all failed to notice that @tubbycyclist and maybe one or two others had gone on ahead. We were convinced that they were behind us so we waited for them, then sent search parties back down the road. I tried phoning him, but there was no reply. Eventually, he contacted us from Longridge, a few miles ahead of us. I think I tried ringing him, but may have been distracted by Steve H ringing me at about the same time. Sorry about the mix-up tc - I hope you got back ok?

Ended up riding with a lad from Burnley and @Biscuit pressed on too. Two of us stopped waiting for you as well - and I forgot to check my phone, apologies if your group was delayed! No problems getting back - over 100 miles for the day for me, and the wind even dropped for the ride back from Whalley. Probably see you at Spring into the Dales.

:thumbsup: to
* Colin for organizing the ride,
* the guy who gave me a cleat bolt in the car park at the start (and the others for not laughing too much) when I couldn't remove the bike from my foot
* hearty light breakfast in the cafe
* everyone who came for generally a good day out (and a couple of pints after) and the guy with his new toy (Garmin Edge) ...
I was just happy to get over the trough in one piece seeing this was my first decent ride in a couple of years :dance:

Stu Smith

Veteran
This was my first ever group ride and will not be my last. I also clocked the most miles ridden 71mile when I arrived back in Blackburn:dance:.
Some big thank you's from me..
Thanks Colin for organising a superb day..
Massive Thank you to @totallyfixed for dragging me up into Longridge:thumbsup:.
And for the guy who retrieved my water bottle that flew out on the Trough decent.. I was going that fast the wind blew it out, not that I hadn't put back correctly:whistle:.
Thanks to all who made me feel part of the CycleChat gang^_^

@ColinJ many thanks for organising the ride. you picked a great day for it despite that interesting headwind on the way back, but at least the weather warmed up enough to shed a layer or two on the way back :biggrin:.
Much enjoyed the ride and great to meet a whole load of new people even if I will not remember their names!
Sorry we had to push off early from the café, just made it to the in-laws 50th wedding anniversary do in time...:whistle:
Best wishes and thank you....

Top Bottom