Cyclist hit by car in Cambridge - video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What? If I was the driver, in those circumstances, in those conditions, I reckon a dark clad rider, coming from an oblique angle ( due to the position he was in, due in no small part to the poor design of the roundabout ) I reckon I'd have had a job to see him clearly. The view from the dash cam is totally irrelevant.

Specsavers. You look and look again as anyone knows when entering a road, or indeed a roundabout. Driver 100% at fault

I was always taught - if you cannot see clearly, you stop......................
Very true, but it rarely happens.

Hi viz doesn't work at night, and reflection only when the headlights hit it. The cyclist is quite visible in headlights (see below) so I don't see how clothing could have helped

14145566-large.jpg

(rr has me on ignore, so he won't see this)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I agree with your second point, but I don't know of any cars, with windscreen wipers mounted on the side windows, as standard.

The cyclist was right in front of the driver, whose car headlights were on and illuminating the cyclist and his bike's reflectors. She still drove through him.
Rain-covered windows or otherwise, the onus is on her not to drive into stuff.

GC

Last edited:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I agree with your second point, but I don't know of any cars, with windscreen wipers mounted on the side windows, as standard.
If you can't see through the side windows, and you need to see through them to check that your way is clear, you stop until you can wind them down to look. How difficult is it to understand that if you cannot see clearly, the onus is on YOU to stop until such a time as you can see that your way is clear.

Yes, rain and reflections make it harder to see, but that just means that you should be more careful.

OP
OP
martinclive

martinclive

Über Member
With comments (facts!) like this on the CEN site - one has to worry...................................

Fact: The cyclist, as should all other cyclists, should have worn hi-vis clothing

Jody

Stubborn git
The rider is clearly visible on the dashcam (which are notoriously bad at picking out detail at night) but the driver still didn't see him.

You can see him clearly even without the reflectors. I can't believe someone is on the side of the driver in this case. The only mitigating factor which you can’t really see from the video is whether the rider had a front light on.

So I don't have to keep going to the newspapers site

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmgdny-Rz4A

If you can't see through the side windows, and you need to see through them to check that your way is clear, you stop until you can wind them down to look. How difficult is it to understand that if you cannot see clearly, the onus is on YOU to stop until such a time as you can see that your way is clear.

Yes, rain and reflections make it harder to see, but that just means that you should be more careful.
I agree.

You can see him clearly even without the reflectors. I can't believe someone is on the side of the driver in this case. The only mitigating factor which you can’t really see from the video is whether the rider had a front light on.
I never said I was on anyone's 'side'.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Appears to have front light. You can see it on the roundabout at 0:02 and on the bike as it lies on roadway (at 1:40) when it's moved by witness.

GC

Jody

Stubborn git
I never said I was on anyone's 'side'.

I must have misinterpreted what you wrote. You felt sorry for the driver and the cyclist, but the cyclist should have been more visible. Sounds like you had more sympathy with the driver than the rider.

Top Bottom