Cyclist hit by car in Cambridge - video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
That roundabout is on my commute and it is extremely well lit. (Perhaps the vid makes it look darker).
100% driver fault end of story.

Tim Hall

Hi viz doesn't work at night, and reflection only when the headlights hit it. The cyclist is quite visible in headlights (see below) so I don't see how clothing could have helped

14145566-large.jpg

(rr has me on ignore, so he won't see this)
Depends on your definition of Hi Viz. In my world (construction sites, railway lines) Hi Viz is the yellow or orange clothing (fluorescent) with reflective stripes, so it covers both options. They do depend on someone looking though. (I can't see how clothing could have helped either).

Depends on your definition of Hi Viz. In my world (construction sites, railway lines) Hi Viz is the yellow or orange clothing (fluorescent) with reflective stripes, so it covers both options. They do depend on someone looking though. (I can't see how clothing could have helped either).
Having hi viz could have helped, by 'catching the eye' of the driver, so to speak. Or giving the driver a better chance to have spotted the cyclist a bit earlier. Let's also not forget the difference between this.

image.jpeg

and this.

image.jpeg

Are we violently agreeing with each other? I was separating hi viz into it's two components, the colour and the reflection. The yellow/orange is grey under most street lighting, so doesn't help at night. The reflective material only works when it's hit by a direct light.

Now, for no reason, this:

moo_3385630b.jpg

Again, the colour of his clothing is irrelevant as the driver didn't even spot the shiny thing on the riders bars.
I'm surprised the driver didn't spot a tiny ineffective front light, coming from an oblique angle, in the dark, when it was raining, in amongst the other reflecting road lights, either.:rolleyes:.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Hi viz does not make any difference.After seeing my wife get hit by a 4×4. If the driver ain't looking he or she will not see you. I hope they check the drivers phone. When my wife got hit the police would not check the drivers phone. I am she was on it.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I know that roundabout well (I drive and cycle round it on a regular basis). The cyclist was coming from Wadloes Road. If the driver had bothered looking they'd have easily been able to see the cyclist. No 'oblique angle' crap...

Quite. There are no mysterious oblique angles. Drivers simply have to check to their right- it can't be that hard!
I've cycled around that roundabout probably thousands of times both day and night and there is absolutely no excuse for such a pish poor piece of inattentive driving. The rider's attire is completely irrelevant.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'll remember that excuse for if I ever hit a dark colour car at night. "Sorry pal, its your fault for buying a dark colour. Should stick with yellow or white next time so I don't have to be as vigilant!"
Could be grey at night though!

There is a Bright Pink* VW Beetle, often seen in the town centre. Stands out like anything, in the daytime. Nighttime is another matter.

Picture added
*No.202 Aurora Pink
202.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom