Famous people you have seen (and where)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Ummmm an infamous person here :tongue: - George Bush, at the next table in an upscale steakhouse in Houston, with two secret service agents (you can tell by their earphones) holding on to a large box (presumably emergency medical equipment) about 10 feet away.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Beatrix, by the grace of God Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, etc., etc., etc., once sat behind me in the theatre. If she had reached forward, she could have touched me on the shoulder.

Happiness Stan

Jimmy Saville - all the bleedin' time as he is a local resident

Peter Shilton - in the street in Nottingham

Lloyd Cole - Got into my lift at the Shelbourne Hotel, Dublin.

David Attenbourgh - Richmond High Street

Michael Palin - Ditto

Rory Bremner - Clerkenwell

Simon from 'Trevor and Simon' - at a party. Was quiet and retiring.

Hermoine Norris - Wedding Reception

Ed 'Stewpot' Stewart - coming out of Broadcasting House

John Entwistle - In the bar during Pete Townshend's lifehouse performance at Sadler's Wells. Deaf as a post.

And The Alarm's frontman, Mike Peters barged past me at LiveAid to get a better look at U2 (who else?). I told him to 'F**k Off'

Frank Skinner sat in front of me at the Hackney Empire - very gaunt and has a odd shaped head.

Happiness Stan

Rim shot - cymbal.

Oddly enough I had tickets to see him a week later at Shepherds Bush Empire.

The conversation in the lift went:

Stan: "I've got tickets to see you in London next week"
LC: "Oh"

Interminable silence as my lift goes up to my floor.
Doors open

Stan: "See you then"
LC: "Enjoy the gig"
Stan: "Yeah, you too"

Doors Close

LC: "Twat"

Brains

Legendary Member
I'm an Aresnal fan, I've been a fan through thick and thin for the last quarter century. When I say I'm an Arsenal fan I've never been to a match, or even watched a match on telly, I've no idea where they are in the league, I've no real interest in football, but as the wife support Man U and the father in law is an Arsenal fan, I therefore I am also an Arsenal fan.

Some years ago I went on one of those long sponsored cycle rides with many thousands of other riders, after a few miles I found my pace, and got talking to the rather nice chap call Ian as we pootled through the Kent countryside for the day. He rode at the same speed as me and we discussed many topics, the weather, the best bike, the people cycling around us, our interests, family, jobs etc. We shared our picnic lunch in a pub and the caried on to the end of the ride.

As we passed through the finish line the combined press corps surged forward getting our photos, my new mate Ian had a number of TV cameras pointed in his face and several journo's came up and asked him his impresion of the ride, what he thought of his time, and so on.

Later that evening I was on telly with my mate Ian as we crossed the line, even the wife was impressed and the father in law phoned up. I had to very quietly ask who he was, as I had no idea he was famous.

Ian Wright, Arsenal striker and 30+ caps for England.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Alan Ball stood in front of me (he was walking the perimiter) at a "Home International" at Wemberley sometime in late 60s (might have been early 70s... George Best was playing for Nor'n Ireland, B. Charlton for England), Ball went on later as sub, I think. Ball was my hero then... I even had Alan Ball white footy boots....

colly

Re member eR
Mel Brooks on a beach in Portugal circa 1987. He had a small puppy on a leash and my son was stroking the dog. We exchanged pleasantries and went our separate ways.
I knew I had seen him before but it wasn't until about 4 am when I woke up with a start and said. ''Mel Brooks..........It was Mel Brooks'':smile:

My mrs told me to shut up and go back to sleep. :smile:

Various others including; Geoff Hunt, Jimmy Saville, (did some work for him) A lady who presents the news ( can't recall her name but I did a load of work for her), Honor Blackman, Barnes Wallis, Spike Milligan, soap actors of all kinds, Carol Vorderman, Richard Whiteley, etc etc.............the're everywhere.

OP
OP
H

hackbike 666

Lionel Blair* - Norwich Hotel (poss Ramada) c. 1992 - he was kindly sharing out his post Theatre buffet to anyone who was drinking late in the hotel bar (Chicken drumstick for me)

Just reminded me I saw Lionel Blair at Woking walking through the shopping centre one morning in the 1990's.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
1954 - summer - Charles Philip Arthur George Windsor, his parents and sister driving therough Prescot, Lancs.
1957 - Oct/Nov - Bill Foulkes & most of the Busby Babes - at Bill's parent's house also had a kickabout in the back garden with them.
1980's rode on the Yorkshire Moors with Beryl Burton
Red Sea Palce Hotel, Jeddah, mid 1990s - Talking to a chap in the foyer and his face looked familiar so I asked him have we met before as I remembered his face. He said that he did not think that we had met but told me his name was Idi Amin!
1980s - Weapons Delivery Range, Taif, Saudi Arabia; Prince Naif al Banda al Saud - F15 pilot and minor Royal

I have met many World Class chess players, some of whom have been to my house. I've played against a few of them, drawn a game against a reigning World Champion and beaten Julian Hodgson about 3 weeks before he won the British Championship.

On consecutive days I saw Robin Cook & Roy Hattersley near Victoria Station. Curiously, on one of those days I walked past my niece without recognising her.

When I was 18 whilst I was at the John Menzies stall at Euston station, Henry Cooper was in front of me in the queue. Later that day, whilst reading the magazine I'd bought, I shared a railway carriage with Mary Whitehouse (the renowned do-gooder, not the magazine).

Gerald Davies and John Taylor once sat behind me in the press box at Twickenham for the England v Wales rugby match (1986).

Jo Brand & Melvyn Bragg near the London Television Centre whilst I was cycling from Waterloo Station (different occasions).

I chaired a School Governors' Meeting in 1997 which was addressed by Teddy Taylor. My press release really upset him.

I have met Delzeqq, Charlotte and other famous cyclists on numerous occasions.

thegrumpybiker

I've held the Prodigy's Keith Flint aloft while he went on a crowd surf, Surfer's Paradise Australia 1996. Met and chatted to to lots of musicians, mainly obscure ones at small venues with no barrier between crowd and performer. One of the nicest is Bob Log III.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
hackbike 666 said:
Lionel Blair - Norwich Hotel (poss Ramada) c. 1992 - he was kindly sharing out his post Theatre buffet to anyone who was drinking late in the hotel bar (Chicken drumstick for me)

[I'm sorry I haven't a clue mode]

Lionel would've happily slipped you a sausage too.

[/I'm sorry I haven't a clue mode]

A very sad Don Estelle after his gig with It Ain't Half Hot Mum had ended. He was flogging cassettes of his songs out of a suitcase in Basingstoke town centre.

They were a quid each -so I declined his kind offer.

Top Bottom