Famous people you have seen (and where)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
accountantpete said:
A very sad Don Estelle after his gig with It Ain't Half Hot Mum had ended. He was flogging cassettes of his songs out of a suitcase in Basingstoke town centre.

They were a quid each -so I declined his kind offer.

Saw him on the same tour - looked deflated in both senses of the word didn't he?

threebikesmcginty said:
Saw him on the same tour - looked deflated in both senses of the word didn't he?

I couldn't imagine anyone stooping so low - he must have spent the cash from the show pretty quick and suddenly realised that the new work offers were not exactly flooding in. v.sad.

Tom Baker, striding through Leicester Square, London, rather a tall chap!

Gary Wilmot in about 1994, having lunch in an outdoor caff in Leicester Square.

Met Jenna Russell outside the stage door of the Piccadilly Theatre after seeing her in Guys And Dolls (she's tiny!).

Met Kenneth Baker and Lord Wakeham the day our power station was opened. Lord Wakeham was a midget, Mr Baker came over as just as oily as he did on TV.

Met and spoke to Mark Speight at an environment day in Peterborough Central Park. Came accross as a nice bloke, did a brilliant cartoon sketch of my daughter as she was playing at shy and had her hands over her face. Still got the sketch, sad he's no longer with us.

Met Edmund Hockridge twice at the Key Theatre in Peterborough and he came accross as an extremely nice bloke.

Wifey met and was chatted up by Neil Morrisey and Martin Clunes in the midst of their Men Behaving Badly era and said they seemed to be trying to live up to their characters.

When she worked for John Lewis, wifey organised book signings for Geoff Hamilton the gardener (pardon the pun but very down-to-earth) and Terry Waite, who she said was just as nice a guy as he seemed on TV.

Wifey also saw Princess Diana in Marks & Sparks Oxford Street, Bon Jovi in Tower Records Picadilly and saw Hugh Laurie and family at Holkham Beach in Norfolk.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Saw Charles and Di clattering through Waterloo Stn on their wedding day. I had just arrived at the station and couldn't work out why the crowds were there.

The late Robin Cook in Venice around New Year in, I think 03 or 04.

Enoch Powell on the pavement outside Charing X sometime in the 80s.

Got stuck in a lift with John Martyn.

Got beaten at table football by Bon Scott (first singer of AC/DC) around 1979.

Bearded comedian called Rory wotsit (never mind the bollocks??) cycling through Oxford a year or two back.

Proto

Legendary Member
Salvador Dali in his glass topped Rolls Royce at Nice airport, approx 1963.

Bobby Caharlton was there too, same time, same place, standing by the airport entrance. I don't think he was with Mr Dali.

Rolf Harris ambling around the fancy toy shop in Regent's Street. My kids were very excited and he kindly signed something for them.

Proto

Legendary Member
And Michael Aspell was sitting at the next table to me in a pub just off Bond Street somewhere.

Ian Brown of Stone Roses filling up his Jeep at Knutsgford Services next to me filling up my Fireblade. My mate had worked with him in the past, said he was a bit of a knob, so kept his helmet on in case Mr Brown recognised him.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I saw Andrew Lloyd Webber once near Woodstock, Oxfordshire. It was on one of the back roads, he leapt out of the car (an old Volvo estate IIRC) and started flapping around like a loon. Think he had an unwanted wasp in the car. Anyway it was him.

Saw Alan Shearer in the carpark at Coventry City FC. - he was quite short I thought, grumpy git too.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
threebikesmcginty said:
I saw Andrew Lloyd Webber once near Woodstock, Oxfordshire. It was on one of the back roads, he leapt out of the car (an old Volvo estate IIRC) and started flapping around like a loon. Think he had an unwanted wasp in the car. Anyway it was him.

I find this image very pleasing. :smile:

Proto

Legendary Member
yoyo said:
Anton Rogers - taught his sons

Stood next to him at a Mini-Rugby tournament, Grove/Wantage if I remember correctly.

Robin Gibb of Bee Gees was next to me as we perused the CDs in our local record shop. I thought 'who's this scruffy little bloke?' before I realised who it was. He's often about, has a house in the town.

Hear goes

Served with Prince Andrew for nine months when I was in the Andrew in the early 90s

Meet the Queen, Duke & Fergie when they visited the ship before H as he was known left us

Meet Maggie & Dennis - at the 10th commemoration events on the Falklands

Meet Ian Gillan (Deep Purple) in Rio early 90s, long story, got invited to a back stage party after the gig, left with the cleaners at 2-30 in the morning. Got pi**ed with him again the following nite after inviting him onboard. Meet him and the rest of Deep Purple (Jon Lord, Ian Pace, and Roger Glover) back stage in Plymouth 95 ish after receiving comp tickets from Ian.

Prince Charles in Hong Kong 1978 -79 ish

Bonnie Tyler - Mumbles Road Swansea 2000 - 2010

Derek Fowlds who played Oscar Blaketon in Heartbeat at Flambards Village Theme Park Helston, Cornwall in the Late 70s - he was also in Yes Minister

Colin Chavis ex Welsh International Rugby player - now six nations pundit in COSTA Coffee Swansea early last year, don’t speak with him.

Oh and my wife met Margaret John (Doris from Gavin & Stacey) in a Swansea TESCOS last week. She also plays Mrs Hepplewhite in High Hopes which I believe has not been shown outside Wales yet, please correct me if I am wrong. A very funny and down to earth lady.

Top Bottom