Scotland : Edinburgh & Lothians Future CC Ecosse Ride suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm doing that one - it's quite a lumpy route.

The cake stops are great!

I'm doing it as well and I agree that the cake stops are great

Fubar

Guru
I see that @Col5632 has already suggested a Round-the-Forth ride at the end of August, so to follow on from my thoughts in the Perth ride thread, I now have some routes to add to the concepts :smile:.
With acknowledgement to @Telemark, who designed a couple of them ... ^_^

We've done a E Lothian - Longniddry/Haddington ride before, so must look out the map and post it up as another option ...

To get back on topic, could someone who knows how to do these things (and has the time and inclination!) create a voting system for the suggested rides and we go with the most popular?

A Round the Forth ride, whilst great for beginners* doesn't match up to say an Arran ride, and I'd like to try new places so my nomination would probably be East Lothian.

Does that sound fair?!?

*beginner: a person (male/female) that has actually seen a bike before, perhaps even owns one, has ridden it more than 10 miles (in one go) and doesn't look at an online ride with a distance they have never done before with people they have never met and thinks "I can dae that, nae danger"

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
East Lothian sounds good to me. Even it was along coast and back following Edinburgh marathon route perhaps?

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
To get back on topic, could someone who knows how to do these things (and has the time and inclination!) create a voting system for the suggested rides and we go with the most popular?

In the past, we used to do a Doodle Poll, where one could vote for one's preferred ride and preferred date :whistle: . The result was 25 pages of posts, with no clear 'winner' of route and/or date. :angry:

What we have chosen to do now, is to post a route and date and that's it:
  • if you want to come and can come - come
  • if not - sorry
  • please don't spend 12 pages bleating about "Oh, I can't make that date, could we not do another one ?"
  • if you wish to do another one, post up a ride and a date and go for it !
This is also the principle we have used for our winter rides. We recognise that winter conditions :cold:/:rain: often mean fewer people are able or want to do a 'full' ride, so we do what we call a RV Ride. An RV (Rendez-Vous) Ride is the simplest to arrange. All you do is post "I'll be in [this] cafe from [time-time] on [this] date. I'll be riding from this place. Hope to see you there."
It is then up to individuals to decide how far they wish to ride to the RV and how far back again. Driving all the way is frowned upon :thumbsdown: but acceptable if the driver buys CAKE :hungry: all round ! :wahhey:
For this reason, I am not in favour of a poll.
We have some suggestions.
East Lothian has some following, so we'll see if we can arrange one there.
HTH :biggrin:

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I've added the E Lothian - Longniddry/Haddington route (from memory - can't find the book ! :blush:) to the list on Telemark's post. It's a fairly short ride, very flat at the end (old railway line). Last time we did it, no one actually came by train to Longniddry :laugh: , so extra kms were gained by riding to and from Edinburgh. :bicycle:

Fubar

Guru
In the past, we used to do a Doodle Poll, where one could vote for one's preferred ride and preferred date :whistle: . The result was 25 pages of posts, with no clear 'winner' of route and/or date. :angry:

What we have chosen to do now, is to post a route and date and that's it:
  • if you want to come and can come - come
  • if not - sorry
  • please don't spend 12 pages bleating about "Oh, I can't make that date, could we not do another one ?"
  • if you wish to do another one, post up a ride and a date and go for it !
This is also the principle we have used for our winter rides. We recognise that winter conditions :cold:/:rain: often mean fewer people are able or want to do a 'full' ride, so we do what we call a RV Ride. An RV (Rendez-Vous) Ride is the simplest to arrange. All you do is post "I'll be in [this] cafe from [time-time] on [this] date. I'll be riding from this place. Hope to see you there."
It is then up to individuals to decide how far they wish to ride to the RV and how far back again. Driving all the way is frowned upon :thumbsdown: but acceptable if the driver buys CAKE :hungry: all round ! :wahhey:
For this reason, I am not in favour of a poll.
We have some suggestions.
East Lothian has some following, so we'll see if we can arrange one there.
HTH :biggrin:

Fair enough, I think you did tell me that before (must've forgotten). I was just thinking along the lines of a straw poll for nominations for the next ride then back to normal - if you come you come, if you don't you don't.

Happy to go with the flow though! Cheers, M

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Fair enough, I think you did tell me that before (must've forgotten). I was just thinking along the lines of a straw poll for nominations for the next ride then back to normal - if you come you come, if you don't you don't.

Happy to go with the flow though! Cheers, M

would be easy to do on survey monkey, with a link to here.

Fubar

Guru
Have never been to Lanark (yet) :whistle: ... any route ideas?
Just add them to growing :wub: list:

I like the look of Redstone Rigg!!!

Top Bottom