HS2 - not so high speed ride to Banbury - Sat. 6th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
fabulous ride adam; and you arranged the weather so nicely as well! i can't believe we saw snow next to the roads yesterday afternoon, and the bonus of two live steam trains;
many thanks
bob c
still recumbent

lilolee

Veteran
I only did 55 miles and I was nicely tired, and apparently a bit 'weather worn'

Great ride through some nice countryside. Looking forward to the Windmill Ride (you know you want to Adam)

See you all again soon.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
I've now managed to extract my photos from my camera - like the SD card in the GPS playing up, I was also having technical issues with the camera yesterday. Fortunately, the only other technical issue was poor Tim suffering a puncture in Brixton riding up to the start of the ride, meaning we didn't leave Euston until just after 10. Still, it all gave us time to admire Davy's gleaming Dolan:-

IMG_1651_zpsbd246071.jpg

Some of the others weren't interested in that, and preferred to try and stay warm in the sun:-

IMG_1652_zps9e1169c6.jpg

Yesterday was very tricky from a clothing point of view, as it was only just above freezing at the start, and yet we knew it would be warm by lunchtime, but it would then cool off again. I only had 1 thick layer under the jacket, but with hindsight wish I'd put shorts under over trousers, which I could have removed later on.

Heading off from Euston, for both Charlie and Mice, I'd deliberately taken the route via London Zoo, where the giraffes were outside eating. There's not a lot to say about the next 20 miles, as it was London! The climb up Horsenden Lane at Sudbury give us a brief glimpse of green, but at exactly the 20 mile mark, we reached a National Speed Limit sign (on a narrow, potholed lane) and we were out into the countryside and I could see some of the group were blinking at the alien surroundings, unused to the wide open spaces and rolling vistas. Dropping down the hill from Harefield, unfortunately we hit a red light at the bottom, which was very badly timed, but going over the bridge across the Grand Union Canal, we saw our first "No to HS2 sign". Crossing the M25, I showed where in 10/15/20/whenever years time, the HS2 will zoom across right next to the road bridge, before burrowing itself across the fields. We in turn headed north-west, and Charlie showed where he'd lived when younger, and we also passed the house of what had been a near neighbour of his - Graham Gouldman of 10cc fame. After such a heady mix, Chalfont St Giles was no match, although this gave us the second little climb of the day, but to compensate, there were some wonderful views. By now it was warming up and we got to the pub in Little Kingshill about 35 minutes late, so apologies to Alan for being kept waiting.

However, the Full Moon was a definite hit with the group

IMG_1655_zps062210b6.jpg

as some greedy people in need of extra nourishment, had dessert.....

IMG_1659_zps462828a2.jpg

We also made sure we made use of the correct facilities, rather than the grass outside.

IMG_1663_zpsb18479cb.jpg

Cycleman had briefly joined us at the pub, just to say hello, but others left, meaning there was now 8 left to face the final 47 miles. I confirmed that there was a long, not too steep climb, and then we'd swoop downhill on the Vale of Aylesbury. First however, we stopped off at Chequers:-

IMG_1665_zps9dfc5566.jpg

One of the group made impolite gestures to the security camera. I distanced myself from Charlie, just in case any sub-machine toting secret service agents came storming out of the Gate House, but fortunately the only response was the camera dipping up and down, and its wiper going. Speeding off, we were then onto the flat Vale, with just quiet roads and fields to roll past, along with the occasional bit of propaganda:-

IMG_1664_zpsedb3241e.jpg

In fact up to last year, the signs used to say "No to the HS2". Most of those are now gone, being replaced with lots of little "Axe HS2 signs" and others saying "Use the money on the NHS" - which I though was a bit ironic as probably most of the people living in the mansions with those signs would have private healthcare.

Anyway, heading off into the Waddesdon Estate, I almost made a navigational error and made us go up a rough concrete road - seeing as the state of the normal roads in Buckinghamshire are bad enough with the potholes, that would have added insult to injury. We then had to endure a grotty stretch of the A41, but then we could turn off for Quainton, where Mice was over the moon to realise the steam engines were running.

IMG_1674_zps949ff984.jpg

For the rest of the ride, generally we were on really quiet roads.

IMG_1678_zpsbc6227d6.jpg

With about 15 miles to go, we stopped off at a pub in Fringford for refreshment.

IMG_1689_zps2b9feb46.jpg

We discovered that the village was where Lark Rise to Candleford was filmed. The pub also seems to collect Marmite jars:-

IMG_1685_zps6da89f73.jpg

By now, it was starting to cool down again, so jackets were zipped up again, as we headed on the final stretch towards Banbury.

IMG_1692_zps7b27f686.jpg

IMG_1703_zpsbd0fc34d.jpg

The Pullman Express was just getting ready to leave which attracted more interest from the train spotters

IMG_1704_zpsd5251376.jpg

Due to engineering works, we had a bit of a wait for a train back to London, and when it arrived, it was full of supervising police officers, due to it having various football fans on, so it was very cramped. At this point, one of our group did get a bit rowdy and started objecting about the route, claiming she was unaware of the profile. Fortunately one of the police was on hand to haul her away.

IMG_1705_zps450aabdf.jpg

:thumbsup:

Seriously though, it was a wonderful day out in excellent company. It did seem very odd to be out all day in almost constant sunshine.

Thanks to everyone for coming along.

The rest of the photos are here.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Annoying railway sidebar: I didn't get one of the 'not via London' trains back last night as it was unclear whether my ticket would be valid, and when I checked before there didn't seem to be a single ticket option. Checked again this morning, and it appears I could have used my ticket to go via Southampton or Reading (and save myself a bit of time etc) after all. Hrmph!

Well, that was another great day out. Quite literally in my case, as it started with the alarm going off at 3.45. Did the five minute ride to Hilsea station in time for the 4.56 to London, only to find it was running late. Never mind, I had time in hand for my intended ride extension. Arrived Clapham 6.45, where I headed off southwest, intending to visit Richmond Park, but in practice I turned off south and reached Wimbledon Common, where there was frost but no sign of Wombles. Beautifully crisp morning though, and a pleasure to ride through the smoke with so little traffic. Having reached the necessary mileage, I doubled back and then crossed Putney Bridge before heading to Euston. Once the visitation-delayed Tim arrived, we made er, serene, progress through the burbs until we started seeing this strange green stuff. Countryside, I think it's called. Unlike Mice, I think the rest of us knew what to expect from (a) an Adam ride and (b) the Chilterns. We were not disappointed, he really hadn't come up with a flat route on decent roads :laugh: Did seem like very hard work much of the time anyway- that wind felt neither light nor across, to me at least, and I was often lagging behind a bit, unlike the person who kept moaning about all the hills (nice one M, you were clearly OK for that ;) ).

I for one was glad to get to the pub. And what a fine pub it was. Absolutely splendid nosh, and the cheesecake was a most excellent for the strudel that Dave had snaffled :smile: Nice indeed to see Cycleman (that's the YACF one, not the CC one) before the now reconfigured group carried on. The proliferation of NIMBY hypocrite protest signs didn't distract from the area's beauty too much. Another cracking pub in Fringford, before the final stretch into Banbury, where an hour in Chiltern Railways sardine class beckoned. Job done as regards the century, 101.3 miles on the clock since Clapham. Then across to Waterloo for the 9.30 train home (the 9pm wouldn't have been an option), home just after 11.
Thanks all!

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
A simply wonderful outing on what was the nicest day of 2013 so far. Cracking scenery and a fair amount of ups and downs (GPS sez 1147m total) in the first half which Mice seemed to be sailing up upon her first big ride of the year. Still, never expect a level ride from FD.
The Full Moon lunch stop was excellent. Don't know how I've missed that pub when it's only a few miles from home.
After Great Missenden the ride levelled off as we headed north-westwards across the Vale of Aylesbury.
Tea stop at Candleford, didn't see Thomas or Dorcas, though.
When the train back to Marylebone stopped at Bicester, I think the shopping bags were occupying more space than the people who boarded carrying them.
Stayed at Marylebone to get the train up the other line to Amersham, home at 10:20 with 87 on the clock.

Thank you Adam and all for a fab day out!

Yes, well Stuaff and CharlieB - clearly you are both right regarding Never Trust a Flying Dodo!!! :laugh: (Hello FD:hello:) I have just read FDs report - obviously he can name the places we went to (I can't) but despite that I did a little ride report of my own.....

Euston to Banbury 84 miles! Top speed 32.5mph!!

What a great day! I never imagined when I woke up and discovered the air temperature was zero degrees :cold: that I was going to have so much fun. This was the perfect ride to start my 2013 cycling with my Boardman which hasn't been outside since November! :eek:

This was the ride of the railways. An opportunity to see the proposed HS2 route from Euston to Banbury in Oxfordshire. Flying Dodo was in charge and being the fabulous cyclist, bike mechanic, ride leader and all round good egg that he is, I knew it was going to be a good day. He had reassured me earlier in the week that this would be my perfect inaugural 2013 ride on the Boardman as there were so many bail out points.
Bikes are funny things! :bicycle: They are so different. Four months of riding the steel framed Brompton and the aluminum Marin - both with racks meant that with one pedal push on the Boardman I was half way down the street - I laughed out loud!

The weather was a bit alarming, zero is zero and as I knew it would be colder in the countryside I stuffed some spare kit into my Carradice saddle bag. As it turned out I could have dressed three cyclists with the amount of extra clobber I was carrying!

At Euston I met up with nine others. Unfortunately the 10th man was in Brixton fixing air loss in a wheel (I daren't use the p word!) This 10th man goes by the name of TimO and he is a brilliant bike mechanic and cyclist supremo on a par with Flying Dodo so we knew he would be on his way pretty speedily. We did take advantage of cappuccinos from Cafe Nero and stood in the sunshine trying to stay warm (did I say it was zero degrees?)! All the while rail travellers were looking at us out of the corner of their eyes probably trying to work out the point of Lycra!

One of our numbers was showing off his legs. :eek: Zero degrees and bare legged below the knee. (Davy Walnuts by name and probably by nature!!) He is 'ard! But he is another great cyclist and the perfect All Up Call Up man on a night ride! In no time at all TimO was with us and we were off! As a very kind treat Flying Dodo had routed the route inside Regents Park so we could cycle past the Giraffe House! Fantastic! And all three giraffes were outside!! :bravo:

We weaved our way north and west. St Johns Wood where we could have posed on the Beatles crossing, on to Wembley, Park Royal and Eastcote (obviously I didn't have clue where I was, I was reading road signs)!! It wasnt my favourite route - London drivers can be so unpleasant - but we were following HS2 so no choice! One of our number, Bob who was on a King recumbent, made me laugh when we cycled passed a yellow warning sign. "Ha!" he said "I thought that said Warning - Pootles" (it said Warning Potholes!!) :laugh: 20 somewhat traffic heavy urban miles from Euston we were in the countryside. Huzzah!!

And then the pothole avenues of the north. Shocking. It was ridiculous. It became a selection process deciding which ones to end up in. The cold weather and lack of funding has done done real damage.

We did some hills. Long, short, sharp, OMG Seriously - they were all there. As I was busy berating Flying Dodo later he said it was 3,800 feet of climbing which is higher than Bury Hill - on the way to Felpham - that they rode last week! 3,800 feet! Horror! But apparently it was all detailed in the blurb about the ride if only I had paid attention to what 3,800 feet actually meant! :wacko:

Once in the countryside we saw lots of signs protesting about the HS2. It's one of those things that it's potentially great for everyone who doesn't live near the route. We saw many of the farms and houses that are going to be completely obliterated. But not for many years so the current owners are stuffed. I don't know what the solution is but I think it could have been handled much, much better.

37 miles from Euston and when my energy levels were depleted found as at Lunch. The Full Moon in Little Kingshill, Buckinghamshire. http://thefullmoon.info/location.html What a pub! Delicious food, excellent service and a really great time. The food was so good that puddings came and rather rapidly went!! :hungry:

Our numbers changed like a sort of knitting pattern - drop four gain one and our numbers were now 8. The first part of the afternoon ride was a descent. Stunning! The recumbent flew by at a wapping 40 mph and we met up at the bottom.

We cycled past the gates to Chequers and caught the attention of the security cameras. I started waving and the camera waved its windscreen wipers!! I think one of the group was doing the Victory sign...!

The rest of the ride was completely stunning. Gentle, gentle little climbs I hardly noticed. Sitting in a bowl with hills on the horizon which quite frankly is the best place for them! The sun was out and it was warm but there were still daffs in snow! This wasnt the only surreal thing. Cycling at the front of the ride, with Flying Dodo and TimO, in daylight, in front of me was very disconcerting. :wacko: My brain couldn't compute. It was as though I was doing a night ride in reverse!! :eek:

We made a minor diversion to look at a steam railway - the sort of thing that W H Auden might have seen to inspire Thomas. Then onwards we headed. Somehow my fitness level was hanging on in there, no bail out options yet needed and I started to wonder if I might actually make the distance. Often in rides of longer distances not cycled its the very end of the ride when things go wrong. Every ounce of energy, adrenalin, stamina and strength has left and you just make it to the station only to discover that the station is closed or the wrong one or something. And you have nothing in the tank.

I mentioned to TimO that if we happened to see a tea shop about 10 miles before the end - that would be great. He warned me that nothing was showing up on the Garmin so I prepared myself mentally. Eight miles later, 12 miles from the end of the ride we found The Butchers Arms Fringford. http://www.thebutchersarmsfringford.com/drinks-2/ Marvellous! :cheers: Pints of beer and pints of tea :cuppa: - with biscuits! (Tea is really good for dehydration - not sure I can wholeheartedly say the same about beer..!) But a really welcoming place. We sat in the sunshine and learned about nearby filming for Lark rise to Candleford.

Refreshed and revitalised we headed on to Banbury. Two group saves, a glance at the steam train we'd seen earlier (which had apparently started a fire a couple of hours earlier so had been replaced by a diesel) and we were heading for London.

The train was packed - with Police! Transport Police and Football fans. They let us squeeze our bikes on. Still somewhat affronted by the 3,800 feet of climbing I tried to have Flying Dodo arrested for lying!! Absolutely hilarious! The policeman was fab - and hopefully will be looking at taking up cycling!

We managed to survive the shoppers and their bags from Bicester and an hour later we were cycling through Hyde Park. TimO's light was fantastically bright and guided us to Hyde Park Corner where we said our Goodbyes. 40 minutes later I was in bed and about a minute later I was fast asleep -feeling rather chuffed that I had cycled just around 90 miles :wahhey: .

Some say its all about the bike. I say it's all about the peeps. Thank you guys, that was fab!

I took some pics!

https://picasaweb.google.com/108733...authkey=Gv1sRgCM7BrrmVmY7zmwE&feat=directlink

Mice :hello:

Attachments

• 2 Nearly All Up.jpg
    2 Nearly All Up.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 8 The Boys in Blue.jpg
    8 The Boys in Blue.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 54
  • 12 Davy likes the Pud.jpg
    12 Davy likes the Pud.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 28 On the move.jpg
    28 On the move.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 27 Teas and Beersies and biscuits A Cyclists Feast.jpg
    27 Teas and Beersies and biscuits A Cyclists Feast.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 35

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Charlie - New Brompton? It looked very shiny as I followed you from Waitrose to the station.

I wish I could have joined you - but sadly I was slumming it on the top deck of a double-decker all day, travelling at Mach 0.7 rather than 0.02. Is the route out of London a good one? Sooner or (probably) later I'll try the ride to work again, and want another option. We also lived in Bicester for a while, so that end of Aylesbury vale is also old turf.

srw

We made a minor diversion to look at a steam railway - the sort of thing that W H Auden might have seen to inspire Thomas.
This is the blue train crossing the border,
Bringing the mail and the Fat Controller.
Following the tracks, Climbing the hill,
Passing by Chequers and the Brill windmill.
Hauling up Clarrie and Annabel,
Pulling a coachfull of cops as well.
Past nimby sign and Chiltern garden,
Thomas goes steaming without a pardon,
Chugging through Saunderton, stopping at Bicester,
Beaconsfield, Wycombe and Princes Risborough.

(Apologies to Auden and Awdry!)
Quainton does regularly have Thomas the Tank Engine steam rides.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
BTW, as people were wondering why it was there, Chieftain the Tank not engine is intended for display on a War Well (tank/heavy vehicle carrying wagon).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This is the blue train crossing the border,
Bringing the mail and the Fat Controller.
Following the tracks, Climbing the hill,
Passing by Chequers and the Brill windmill.
Hauling up Clarrie and Annabel,
Pulling a coachfull of cops as well.
Past nimby sign and Chiltern garden,
Thomas goes steaming without a pardon,
Chugging through Saunderton, stopping at Bicester,
Beaconsfield, Wycombe and Princes Risborough.

(Apologies to Auden and Awdry!)
Quainton does regularly have Thomas the Tank Engine steam rides.

tsk tsk.. Annie and Clarabel if you please..

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Charlie - New Brompton? It looked very shiny as I followed you from Waitrose to the station.
No, same shiny old one. Trying to keep it clean for York-Hull in a fortnight.

Wish I could say the same for the Colnago, which is grubby as hell after the past couple of weeks. It's also not very well at the moment. It was annoying a lot of people yesterday with a weird and regular click from the LH side of the BB. Dunno what it is - all bolts have been checked, and I think a trip to the LBS is what's needed.

I didn't know there were double decker buses in Chesham.

srw

No, same shiny old one. Trying to keep it clean for York-Hull in a fortnight.

Wish I could say the same for the Colnago, which is grubby as hell after the past couple of weeks. It's also not very well at the moment. It was annoying a lot of people yesterday with a weird and regular click from the LH side of the BB. Dunno what it is - all bolts have been checked, and I think a trip to the LBS is what's needed.

I didn't know there were double decker buses in Chesham.
The following was in a car today. The double-decker yesterday wasn't a bus, or even a road vehicle.

Top Bottom