Manchester - Llandudno 2016 : Saturday April 23...for Harry, England and St George

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The precise difference is £25 in taxi fares

I think this is a story with which I am unfamiliar. Please elaborate. But please don't tell me you rocked up at Llandudno station on Sunday, only to find your train was from Llandudno Junction. I can't believe anyone would make that mistake after I repeatedly told folk it was LJ :laugh:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I think this is a story with which I am unfamiliar. Please elaborate. But please don't tell me you rocked up at Llandudno station on Sunday, only to find your train was from Llandudno Junction. I can't believe anyone would make that mistake after I repeatedly told folk it was LJ :laugh:
You were probably three sheets to the wind when I told you!
I'd managed to book the Llan. Junc. Premier Inn which entailed a lift from Mrs Crackle with the bike and then an expensive taxi to the boozer and back. It's only money...

... to add insult to injury, I was late booking my ticket back from Swansea to Brighton, and the bástards stung me for an 85 quid single fare.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I was hoping to get a lift home after the ride but it looks like I'm on the train. What time are we expected to arrive in Llandudno?

Million dollar question....

It depends on three things:

1) How fast you can ride
2) How long you want to spend at the stops
3) Headwind/Tailwind

This is not a "keep everyone together" ride. I think we should all be at Eureka café at the same time. After that participants can leave the café when it suits them and can ride at whatever pace they like to Llandudno

I'm estimating arriving Eureka café about 1330. From there it's 48 flat miles to Llandudno. So if you took an hour for lunch there and rode at 12mph you'd arrive Llandudno at 1830. Of course you can spend more time or less time at the café. And you could ride slower or faster

So it's up to you. I wouldn't book a train back from Llandudno Junction much before 1900 if I were you

Absolute worst case scenario is this: There's a howling westerly gale which means you can't get to Llandudno in time to get your train. You can still use your Advance ticket to get on at any of the stations your train stops at on the way to Chester. So you wouldn't miss the train, you might just miss Llandudno. But as I say, worst case scenario

Jaykun85

ill look into the tickets and see what the last train time possible to get home to northwich via chester :smile:

Just got my bike back from the LBS after upgrading to the Ultegra Chain set . looks very nice i have to say. Had a leaflet for the British Cycling Cheshire Ride for Life in September, So though may as well book into that one swell to keep me with some goals to aim for :smile: hopefully

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
ill look into the tickets and see what the last train time possible to get home to northwich via chester :smile:

Just got my bike back from the LBS after upgrading to the Ultegra Chain set . looks very nice i have to say. Had a leaflet for the British Cycling Cheshire Ride for Life in September, So though may as well book into that one swell to keep me with some goals to aim for :smile: hopefully

Last train is a good tactic as quite a few of us will be decamping to the pub once we've had something to eat in Llandudno

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well if I make it I don't want to disappear too soon :smile: as would be first ride like this pub sounds good though :tongue:
You can stop off at the pub around the half way point and neck a few pints if you like. We did last year didn't we Nick :cheers:

Jaykun85

well thats my train ticket booked :smile: last train is 21.29 to get me home to Northwich about 23.00. Hope they will let me take the bike on :smile: as know sometimes they only have limited places.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
well thats my train ticket booked :smile: last train is 21.29 to get me home to Northwich about 23.00. Hope they will let me take the bike on :smile: as know sometimes they only have limited places.

You can book a bike space

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/Bicycles/

There are two bookable spaces per train. What a booked space gets you is a guarantee you can put your bike in the official "bike bay" on the train and there are straps to hold it secure. You automatically get a seat reservation close to the bike if you do this

Having said that, Arriva Trains Wales seem very relaxed about bikes and I've seen at least a dozen on a train from Llandudno with no objections from the staff. Not that there should be many bikes at 21.29 though. It's about a 15 minute ride from central Llandudno to Llandudno Junction (quantity of beer consumed dependent of course)

Top Bottom