England : Greater Manchester M'cr - Southport - M'cr Night Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
I will now not be able to attend as i came off my bike today into a solid wall and have broken my shoulder blade so a good few months off the bike will be collecting it tommorow to see the damage
Ouch. Sounds nasty. Hope you make a good recovery.

tubbycyclist

Just checking in to find out whether this is still on? Long-term forecast seems to show OK temperatures with no "big freeze" headlines so looks pretty favourable for November.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
I have sorted my work problem out so, barring very cold/wet conditions, I am definitely riding. Now I just hope the weather stays like it is at present and it should be a great night.

I have made two GPX files, one out to Southport and the other back, so if anyone wants to have them let me know. I'll print a route sheet as well for distribution on the night.

I thought Victoria Train Station would be a good place to meet up as it is at the start of the drag up the A56 to Bury, gives some shelter while we are meeting up, has plenty of room for bikes and there is seating and hot drinks available. I wondered about an 23.00hrs start as the coffee places in the station start to shut after that. So maybe meet from 22.30hrs? Open to other suggestions though. If anyone is planning on joining the group en route would you make it clear where you want to meet and I'll give you an approx time when we'll be there.

Clothes and kit wise I suggest: winter gloves, several upper layers, a waterproof/windproof shell jacket and some long tights or knee warmers at least. I will be using a buff as well which is really nice for keeping ears warm. Please make sure you have a front light to see with rather than just a blinky. Some of the lanes are unlit and the group may split up at times. Don't rely on someone else lighting the way! Being independent with potential p******es would be good as well. I wouldn't be too fussed with having a big lock as we can take turns guarding the bikes at stops and Maccy Ds at Southport has big windows.

Can everyone planning to come please PM me with their mobile number and first name so I can print out a contact sheet for everyone in case of issues on the night.

Any suggestions/questions feel free to fire away.

:cuppa:

tubbycyclist

@middleagecyclist YHPM - but forgot to ask for the GPX tracks if you have them.

Happy with a 2230 meet and 2300 hours start from Victoria - would be good to be to have a coffee before getting on the road.

My only additional kit suggestions: reflectives are useful if you have them, and a headtorch is useful for reading maps/routesheets, and mending punctures.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Two confirmed so far. Please let me know if you plan on coming so I can get route sheets and contact info sorted. You can always cancel if something comes up. If the weather is horrible I don't intend on doing it anyway!

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
The weather is looking better every day at the moment!
Yep. Don't think the forecast could be much better for the time of year. Dry, cloudy and 5 celcius overnight. Looking forward to it.

trio25

Über Member
No me sorry, I have a CX training session on saturday morning and have a bit of a cough so riding through the night would be a little silly.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
OK guys. So far we have confirmed:
  • Me
  • Martin Archer + 2 mates (joining in Bury)
  • Tubbycyclist
  • Markymark
  • Bromptonfb (riding up to Rossendale area only)
and maybe:
  • Cheshire Celt
I'll be at one of the coffee stands just inside the main doors of Victoria Station from 22.30hrs for a start no later then 23.00hrs (when the coffee stands close). Black tights, Red Night Vision jersey, big Movember growth on me top lip, black road bike.

I'll text everyone around midday when I've checked the latest weather forecast and then you'll all have my mobile number. I'll bring some route info and contact details for everyone on the night.

Cheers for now.

Top Bottom