No10 Petition thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adasta

Is that supposed to make sense? :biggrin: :blush: Presumably you will post something on Twitter? Lots of times? (I hate to think how I'm not going to be able to keep up with the world in 10 or 20 years time!!!)

On Twitter you can create a hashtag at the end of your "tweet" (your "status update"). That way, whenever that "hashtag" (which could be something like #cyclechat or #bikepetition) is used, it adds together with anyone else using the same hashtag, creating a "trend". This trend can then be tracked and people can monitor how popular it is (based on how many people are using the same hashtag!). It's really useful for monitoring rapidly-changing circumstances, or for seeing what is popular amongst people using Twitter.

HelenD123

Guru
On Twitter you can create a hashtag at the end of your "tweet" (your "status update"). That way, whenever that "hashtag" (which could be something like #cyclechat or #bikepetition) is used, it adds together with anyone else using the same hashtag, creating a "trend". This trend can then be tracked and people can monitor how popular it is (based on how many people are using the same hashtag!). It's really useful for monitoring rapidly-changing circumstances, or for seeing what is popular amongst people using Twitter.

That's something new I've learnt today then. I've always wondered.

Are we allowed international signatories? I could publicise it on Crazyguyonabike.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
[QUOTE 1289421"]
I don't know if you have already searched the petitions so far? http://tinyurl.com/4olncok is the link to the No10 petitions site, (hopefully) filtered to include all 'cycling' references.

I hadn't really looked before, there are some properly mental ones on there. Including one demanding free public transport for all mice :wacko:
[/quote]

I had a quick look with the sorted by date, and got back to March 2009 with nothing really matching what we need.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
The format is 'Petition To:'

so just add/copy/paste your suggestions till we get an idea of what looks like it is the best 'manifesto' for us. Once we have the 'Petition To' that we want, we can then work on the further descriptive wording.

Petition to: Have the goverment act to address the cycling fatalities on the UK's roads.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The TRL549 document (downloadable from here - http://www.trl.co.uk/online_store/r...ty/report_drivers_perceptions_of_cyclists.htm) might provide some insight into what kind of scapegoating is going on as far as the media ''debate'' about RLJing and road tax is concerned. (With the little proviso that the TRL549 researchers have clearly not grasped what road tax is.)

It's not immediately clear to me how the conclusions of the research could apply directly to the SMIDSY question but they do illuminate how the creation of an ''out group'' (in their terms, scapegoats in mine) shapes attitudes for the 2nd group of blah-blah issues - road tax, number plates, insurance, RLJing. I believe that the psychological issues - including the us-and-themistry that has been steadily developing apace with the growth in cycling - need to be fully taken into account before effective solutions can be found.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Didn't we want something more to do with the leniency with which drivers are dealt?

Helen, there are loads of things, so paste yours as a 'Petition To:' and as we get more, we will pick the one most suited to our needs.

niggle

IMO the best approach is to avoid making it a specific cycling issue altogether and instead concentrate on the protection of vulnerable road users, including pedestrians, (especially children, disabled people, old & frail, visually impaired etc.), cyclists and even motorcyclists through pushing for the 'Strict Liability ' legislation, for best use of police resources to improve road safety by targeting the most dangerous road behaviours, as defined by the statistics available, and for the legal system to be equally targeted.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
IMO the best approach is to avoid making it a specific cycling issue altogether and instead concentrate on the protection of vulnerable road users, including pedestrians, (especially children, disabled people, old & frail, visually impaired etc.), cyclists and even motorcyclists through pushing for the 'Strict Liability ' legislation, for best use of police resources to improve road safety by targeting the most dangerous road behaviours, as defined by the statistics available, and for the legal system to be equally targeted.

Good point, such as a request to have the legislation covering due care/wreckless/dangerous looked at, and the 'I didn't see them' excuse challenged more?

the snail

Guru
Good idea CP. My feeling is that road deaths should be prosecuted as manslaughter. 100,000 is a lot of signatures though, perhaps getting other forums etc on board will be necessary?

Top Bottom