England : Derbyshire Peak District incl Holme Moss Saturday May 30: 0900 start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doughnut

Veteran
Trust me - its cheaper to get a taxi home, pick up Mrs Kes and take her out for a decent meal than have that sort of mechanical

doughnut

Veteran
Haha, yes - and I am still clawing back all the brownie points it cost me weeks later! All the sugar in the 10 bottles of J2O she drank while we were drinking beer made her hyper for days afterwards!

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I rang the Oakwood in Glossop to enquire about bike parking as it fronts onto the main road.

Enclosed beer garden that can only be accesses through the pub so security will be fine. Just try to remember to take your bike home afterwards

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Well that was a bit frustrating

@doughnut wanted to do the first bit of the ride to see whether he was happy with its hilly nature so we planned a nice loop this am Glossop - Holme Moss - Holmfirth - Kestevan Variation...then off the route back to Glossop via Dunford Bridge

Met up at Glossop station 0745. The cobbles in the car park are quite rough. Just riding away from the car park with doughnut and a spoke snapped. Carried on for 100m or so then wondered what that strange rubbing sound was. Quick inspection, said our goodbyes, I'm back home drinking coffee, doughnut's slogging up Holme Moss solo now

It must be his mechanical failure aura

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well that was a bit frustrating

@doughnut wanted to do the first bit of the ride to see whether he was happy with its hilly nature so we planned a nice loop this am Glossop - Holme Moss - Holmfirth - Kestevan Variation...then off the route back to Glossop via Dunford Bridge

Met up at Glossop station 0745. The cobbles in the car park are quite rough. Just riding away from the car park with doughnut and a spoke snapped. Carried on for 100m or so then wondered what that strange rubbing sound was. Quick inspection, said our goodbyes, I'm back home drinking coffee, doughnut's slogging up Holme Moss solo now

It must be his mechanical failure aura
Lightweight! I once did one of @ColinJ 's big hilly rides with a broken spoke after it let go on the way to the start including continuing to bunny hop fallen branches and other loutish behaviour :whistle:

doughnut

Veteran
Wolverine has super healing powers
Hulk has superhuman strength
doughnut interferes with working bikes

Here's me at the top, beautiful view (hmm). I'm not smiling because one of my lungs just climbed out my throat, told me to fark off and ran off down the hill.

IMG_20150523_085032.jpg

Also got a question for @nickyboy about that route you sent me for my Garmin. I'm not calling conspiracy, but did you really break that spoke so that you didn't have to ride up this road with me? Biggest pothole I've ever seen - I estimate the one pothole was over half a mile long.

IMG_20150523_093251.jpg

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Here's me at the top, beautiful view (hmm). I'm not smiling because one of my lungs just climbed out my throat, told me to fark off and ran off down the hill.

Yeah, but you've now done pretty much the only climb on next Saturdays route. Cos I can categorically state that Hade Edge, The Strines, and the bits round Hathersage are pan-flat....

ish.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Some of the previous post may not be strictly true.....

But Holme Moss is by far the worst bit... pity me, cos I'll have to do it at the end of the ride, after having sampled some fermented energy drinks......
Mrs Kes' only response to me mentioning a lift home was a snort of derision, and she's made it perfectly clear that any mechanical issues in the area around Glossop will result in me having a long walk home....

doughnut

Veteran
Pan flat? Don't believe a word of it! I spent all morning thinking one of:
1. Are my legs going to make it up this hill?
2. Are my brakes good enough for the bottom of this hill?

Good luck with a second go up Holme Moss. My plan was to have a second go this morning, but I just done about 2 miles downhill at about 35mph. I was wiping all the dead flies off my face and missed the turn off.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Well done Doug and sorry I bailed after all of about 1/4 mile. Also sorry for the mapping error taking you up that unmade road. I've seen your strava time up Holme Moss and Hade Edge and you'll be fine on the ride....in fact maybe a bit quick for some.

But I have some worrying news.

Took my bike to the LBS to get the replacement spoke sorted and, whilst doing so, they found a crack in the rim. Took it to Decathlon this pm and they are refusing to deal with it under warranty. I'm going to try to get it sorted out this week but at the moment I don't have a rideable bike. If I can't get a replacement wheel (and obviously I don't want to buy one if I can get it sorted under Campagnolo warranty) then I may have to postpone.

Here's the wheel thread, appreciate any comments
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/advice-re-rim-damage-please.180622

Top Bottom