England : Derbyshire Peak District incl Holme Moss Saturday May 30: 0900 start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The plan is to drag @Kestevan into the pub too cos after that he'll still have to cycle over Holme Moss to get home. I want to hear the epic tale of ascending the Moss after drinking a few pints of stout
We could all go and cheer him on? Besides, I will have to climb Mottram cutting, now that will be impressive, and passing through StalyVegas on a Saturday night is the stuff of heroes! :ph34r::boxing::surrender:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
We could all go and cheer him on? Besides, I will have to climb Mottram cutting, now that will be impressive, and passing through StalyVegas on a Saturday night is the stuff of heroes! :ph34r::boxing::surrender:

I've got about 200m @ 17% between the pub and home xx(

It's a top drawer pub. Robinson's Double Hop IPA, Titanic Stout etc etc.....and some fizzy crap to keep you happy too. @MossCommuter would be very welcome, just 30 minutes by train from Manchester. As would anyone else who doesn't fancy the ride but does fancy a couple of beers

The plan is to drag @Kestevan into the pub too cos after that he'll still have to cycle over Holme Moss to get home. I want to hear the epic tale of ascending the Moss after drinking a few pints of stout
Thanks for thinking of me!

Date is noted...

...I'll see what I can do ;)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It appears that I've been pre-booked by my daughter, to be in loco parentis for her littl'un, that night.
Damn.

BRounsley

Über Member
My current plan is to cycle over to Glossop on the morning. Then peel off and head for home once we hit the A6 on the “correct” side of the peaks.

I was hoping to do the snake pass back to Glossop but I assume that will be reopened to cars by the 30th?

It sounds do-able numbers but I’ll double check I have the legs for it.

I’m then hoping to “de-stank“ at home and get a train back to Glossop for some recovery beers. If it’s a 9am start from Glossop then I should arrive back in Glossop before the last train leaves at 10:50 ish.

If I train-ed the bike to and from Glossop then I’d still have the issue of getting back from Manchester, beered up, wearing bibs, in the carnival that’s Manchester city centre on a Saturday night!

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
My current plan is to cycle over to Glossop on the morning. Then peel off and head for home once we hit the A6 on the “correct” side of the peaks.

I was hoping to do the snake pass back to Glossop but I assume that will be reopened to cars by the 30th?

It sounds do-able numbers but I’ll double check I have the legs for it.

I’m then hoping to “de-stank“ at home and get a train back to Glossop for some recovery beers. If it’s a 9am start from Glossop then I should arrive back in Glossop before the last train leaves at 10:50 ish.

If I train-ed the bike to and from Glossop then I’d still have the issue of getting back from Manchester, beered up, wearing bibs, in the carnival that’s Manchester city centre on a Saturday night!

I like the cut of your jib

Two decent options for you;

1) Continue on the official route until you get to Manchester Rd (this connects Chapel -en-le-Frith and Whaley Bridge. At that point you cycle to Whaley Bridge from where you can pick up the A6. I would avoid the A6 Doveholes - Whaley Bridge as it is fast dual carriageway, however that would be the fastest way back to Manchester of all

2) Peel off at Ladybower and cycle over Snake Pass solo back to Glossop

I'd do (1) as the Ladybower - Manchester Road is very nice and Snake Pass will probably be quite busy on a Saturday afternoon

My track record re ride timings is absolutely shocking. However, 66 very hilly miles will probably be five and a half hours cycling plus café stops, faffing about stops. So if we plan to leave Glossop 0900 looks like we will be back there before 1600

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos

In the interest of fairness I'd just like to point out that in the history of forever, no one has ever had to drag me into a pub......

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
And I'm considering volunteering Mrs Kes to come pick me up in Glossop...... haven't quite built up the nerve to suggest this to her yet though.....may just fake a convenient mechanical....

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
may just fake a convenient mechanical....
Here's one we made earlier. I'm sure @doughnut won't mind if you use it? Just make sure you bring it back in the same condition it was in when you borrowed it.... :laugh:
upload_2015-5-20_14-34-32.png

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
And I'm considering volunteering Mrs Kes to come pick me up in Glossop...... haven't quite built up the nerve to suggest this to her yet though.....may just fake a convenient mechanical....

It sounds like a good plan. This ride is rapidly turning into a Saturday afternoon/evening session in the pub with a bit of a ride before hand to build a thirst up

Top Bottom