Pointlessly Gendered Product - Christmas Competition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Fujitsu don't think women need to be fussing around with links. That's why they came up with their Floral Kiss range of laptops, with everything just there for her: there's a Scapbook to gather up all those complicated link things, a specially personalised diary, and a special horoscope function...http://www.fujitsu.com/global/about/resources/news/press-releases/2012/1019-03.html
20121019-03bl.jpg

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
A neighbour's son on the other hand loved coming round to play with Cubette's Barbie Palace. Cubette once came in from playing at his house astounded that his Dad had gone mental when they were playing at "Grown up Ladies".
My son's only 3 but has played with his older sister's toys since he was born. He thinks nothing of playing with dolls and pushing the pram around, just as he plays with his tool kit and cars. He also like to have nail varnish on, he just assumed it's what everyone does, and we dont actively dioscourage it, to the point that he sometimes gets funny looks in the shops!
The sad thing is we have one "friend" who is pertified his son will turn out to be gay just because he plays with girls toys at the age of 3.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
My son's only 3 but has played with his older sister's toys since he was born. He thinks nothing of playing with dolls and pushing the pram around, just as he plays with his tool kit and cars. He also like to have nail varnish on, he just assumed it's what everyone does, and we dont actively dioscourage it, to the point that he sometimes gets funny looks in the shops!
The sad thing is we have one "friend" who is pertified his son will turn out to be gay just because he plays with girls toys at the age of 3.
Kids are great. They know who they are and don't need external labels to identify themselves to the world. It's adults who are screwed up and broken in this respect.

The most heinous example of pointlessly gendered toys I have seen was in a Lego catalogue about 10 years ago. Everything in the catalogue was gendered, including their brilliant Mindstorms range which was for boys only, leaving some terrible pink castles and princesses for the girls - the sort of pre-formed lego that can only really build one thing, so not even creating very creative play within that limited pink/princess dominion.

Besides anything else, why were they denying themselves the sales from girls who might enjoy Mindstorms?

The most heinous example of pointlessly gendered toys I have seen was in a Lego catalogue about 10 years ago. Everything in the catalogue was gendered, including their brilliant Mindstorms range which was for boys only, leaving some terrible pink castles and princesses for the girls - the sort of pre-formed lego that can only really build one thing, so not even creating very creative play within that limited pink/princess dominion.

Besides anything else, why were they denying themselves the sales from girls who might enjoy Mindstorms?
Luckily when I was little Lego was just ordinary. I think the most exciting innovation they had was opening doors and windows. I used to make spaceships out of it most of the time :biggrin:

Top Bottom