Pointlessly Gendered Product - Christmas Competition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone like to guess A) which of the modellettes has actually held a rifle before, and B) which of those photos would cause a sheet storm if posted in the UK?
Top left for both.
I think she is holding it right (up and with finger clearly not on trigger)
Issue being there is another gun just propped up against the trophy cabinet that is not locked away.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Can somebody explain this to me? :wacko:
From the FB ad:
Cycling Helmet Designed for Women, Without a Chest Strap!
Measures your heart rate, calories & performance

The model on the web site looks male to me :unsure:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Top left for both.
I think she is holding it right (up and with finger clearly not on trigger)
Issue being there is another gun just propped up against the trophy cabinet that is not locked away.
Top Left knows how to hold a rifle. The bolt is open and her finger is placed in a "deliberately out of the way of the trigger" position. The trophies may be a further clue. Top right on the other hand is the nightmare. Her finger is indeed on the trigger and the bolt is closed. Post a photo like that in a UK shooting mag or website and the letters editor is going to be very busy indeed. Bottom left doesn't seem happy with the weight or balance of the rifle, and bottom right hardly oozes enthusiasm, girly pink or not. :rolleyes:

Edit: Just read the mail artical. Sharks? Yep, that'd do it.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The most heinous example of pointlessly gendered toys I have seen was in a Lego catalogue about 10 years ago. Everything in the catalogue was gendered, including their brilliant Mindstorms range which was for boys only, leaving some terrible pink castles and princesses for the girls - the sort of pre-formed lego that can only really build one thing, so not even creating very creative play within that limited pink/princess dominion.

Besides anything else, why were they denying themselves the sales from girls who might enjoy Mindstorms?
I'll see your pink Lego and raise you a Yorkie bar.
Yes - misogynist chocolate.Way to p!ss off most of your potential customers...
300px-Yorkie-Wrapper-Small.jpg

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Can somebody explain this to me? :wacko:
From the FB ad:
Cycling Helmet Designed for Women, Without a Chest Strap!
Measures your heart rate, calories & performance

The model on the web site looks male to me :unsure:
"Measure your heart rate like a girl - without a chest strap". I presume the logic, such as it is, is that "girls" can't wear chest-straps because their chests are strangely rounded, so they need some other way of measuring their heart. And that men might find the same thing comfortable or convenient.

Whichever way you look at it, it's a very odd ad for a very odd product.

jefmcg

Guru
I'll see your pink Lego and raise you a Yorkie bar.
Yes - misogynist chocolate.Way to p!ss off most of your potential customers...
View attachment 61461
Except, so what? It will encourage some idiots (including "no one tells me what to do" women) and those who are discouraged will likely turn to Aero, Animal Bar, Blue Riband, Breakaway, Caramac, Crunch, Drifter, Kit Kat, LionBar, Milkybar, Munchies, Rolo, Smarties, Toffee Crisp or Walnut Whip; all also made by Nestlé.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Was tempted (except for not being a woman), but put off by the "
  • Heart rate measurement – aerospace level"
statement. Sounds a bit like a con-artist. Similar to the NASA-type filtration system used by Coca Cola for their short-lived Desani mineral water venture in the UK, which was nothing more than bog-standard reverse osmosis. Hey, I'm wearing aerospace socks, as worn by Jumbo Jet pilots!

"Measure your heart rate like a girl - without a chest strap". I presume the logic, such as it is, is that "girls" can't wear chest-straps because their chests are strangely rounded, so they need some other way of measuring their heart. And that men might find the same thing comfortable or convenient.

Whichever way you look at it, it's a very odd ad for a very odd product.
Another post that needs pictures!

Brains

Legendary Member
Anyone like to guess A) which of the modellettes has actually held a rifle before, and B) which of those photos would cause a sheet storm if posted in the UK?
Top left, ('cos she knows how to hold a gun) and top left ('cos she's fat)

Last edited:
OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
(and they do aerospace equipment, so that's probably not a lie)
Yes, but whether it is (in this case) any better than non-aerospace equipment (as per above example of Desani) is the query.

Top Bottom