Roubaix - hit and run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Important question.........

Did it resolve the issue you were having with your brake?

God no - It was the Triban i had the collision on not the Carbon - This weather isnt good enough for me to take my carbon out!

Had a quick look at the bike, It doesnt seem to be damaged at all. mudguards needed adjusting, Ive managed to adjust the rear one but the front one still rubs against the wheel lightly as it spins. I dont really have the strength to heft it onto the bike stand at the moment so i dont know if the derailleur has taken a knock

Hope tomorrow is a better day for you, may hurt a bit more ,

Thank you - Im already popping pills otherwise i wouldnt be able to walk the stairs!

Glad nothing is broken @RoubaixCube, gws.
Horrible people, not stopping for an injured person.

You'll most likely feel worse tomorrow than you do today, so have painkillers at the ready.

I'd not expect too much of the Met, I'm afraid. Probably best not to make the footage publicly available at the moment. If you do, password protect it and send it only to people whose judgement you trust.

Drivers who flee the scene when someone is injured should get a custodial sentence.

Heal up soon.

Tell me about it -- I think he did attempt to drive off as i felt the car moving forward while i was on the ground writhing in pain against it but I think he didnt know if I ended up under his car or not and driving off dragging my body underneath his vehicle would have made his day a lot lot worse. He moved the car forward a few inches then got out to see if I was ok, He was telling me to stay down but I was having none of it and managed to get up and asked that he pull over so i could take his insurance details -- "yeah, just let me pull over....." gets back in the car and off down the road he goes... He briefly did argue with me trying to plead his innocence and telling me it was my fault but innocent people dont run...

My friend says that he should lose his license as he fled the scene (and obviously becomes a criminal offense) but knowing how the law treats cyclists, I dont think we'll get that lucky, I think at most he'll get a few points on his license and pay a fine for failure to stop. I'll probably get a paltry payout to cover the cost of repairs as well as for accessories that were damaged in the collision. my mitts have been shredded on the tarmac.

I called BC to see if they could send out a recovery vehicle out to pick me up and they told me that service is 'sold seperately' -- I was getting a little irate at that stage, being stuck out in the rain after a collision with a driver who fled the scene, a damaged bike which i need to fix to be able to ride home, 'if' i could ride home and smashed up leg which wouldnt of gotten me very far down that very same road towards home anyway. I almost bit her head off. Couldnt call my dad to bring the car around as he was around nans and most of my mates were at work. I didnt have nobody i could call for a ride home... Called my LBS who were probably less than 3 miles down the road to see if they could bring their bike trailer or van out to take me back to their shop or drop me home but since they share it between 4 different shops it wasnt in their possession so they couldnt help.

I had no choice but to book an Uber cab and my driver was a total gent. I called him up while he was on route explaining the situation and that i had a bike with me so it might make a mess of his car. He still came to pick me up anyway. loaded it into his car with his help and off we went. I gave him a few quid as tips at the end to pay for the cleaning job.

----------------

I spoke to a few witnesses but none of them really seemed interested in helping much. one gave me a partial on the guys numberplate but nobody wanted to give me their contact details. I panicked and wasnt sure if i had the collision recorded on my gopro or not but I breathed a deep sigh of relief Everything is there, the make/model of car and the numberplate

Last edited:
What I did. Although I was given a false name and number, not a drive off, & had a witness, not footage but the principles the same
Report it to the Police in person, take a copy of the footage with you, not the gopro, put it on a memory stick.
Get an incident number off them.
http://www.askmid.com is the website you want. It will provide you with his insurance details.
Use a mobile phone to contact the insurance company, put a recording app on it. I used call recorder from the android app store.
Contact them and open a case against the driver. make it clear he drove off without exchanging details , and give them the police incident number.
get the bike checked by a shop.
take photos of any bruising, cuts etc with some thing for scale.
keep all related receipts, including taxis etc
Wait until the insurance people call back with a denial that he was not even in the same galaxy, then ask for an email address to send the footage to.

I know this sounds vindictive but this guy was prepared to leave you in the road, injured. He has committed at least one offence, not exchanging details & I bet he hasn't reported it to his insurers or the police.
What sort of shitbag is that? The next person he does it to may not be so fortunate as to walk away. He really needs to be taught that what he has done is wrong either by legal means i.e the police or through increased premiums and compensation.
I hope you have got away with not being to badly hurt, GWS
Steve

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
@steve292 thanks for the askmid link. I got the details of his insurance company but it directs me to an address to an insurance company that states 'Motor Fleet Claims only' (Hes insured with AIG formerly Chartis) Im starting to wonder if that was his own vehicle or a private hire one..... None the less I will give them a call tomorrow after visiting the police with the footage.

At what stage do i contact BC and speak to their legal team?

Pete Owens

There is no excuse for driving away, which hopefully the police will chase up and prosecute. However, that is a criminal rather than civil matter. I don't see how his insurance has anything to do with things though. From your account it seems that you were at fault for the collision. He stopped to let a pedestrian cross the road he was turning into - which is exactly what he shoiuld have done - then you crashed into him. Or have I missed something?

classic33

Leg End Member
There is no excuse for driving away, which hopefully the police will chase up and prosecute. However, that is a criminal rather than civil matter. I don't see how his insurance has anything to do with things though. From your account it seems that you were at fault for the collision. He stopped to let a pedestrian cross the road he was turning into - which is exactly what he shoiuld have done - then you crashed into him. Or have I missed something?
Stopped partway through a turn!
Would he have stopped if there'd been another car behind?

Legal requirement to exchange details, where injury is suffered.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/accident-advice.151618/

Last edited:

Origamist

Legendary Member

You might have missed something as it depends how late the driver took the left turn and stopped. If it was a very late, 'left hook' manoeuvre the collision would have been almost inevitable as the cyclist would have little chance to brake hard or take evasive action. That said, without being there or seeing the film, it's not clear how the collision took place.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
@steve292 thanks for the askmid link. I got the details of his insurance company but it directs me to an address to an insurance company that states 'Motor Fleet Claims only' (Hes insured with AIG formerly Chartis) Im starting to wonder if that was his own vehicle or a private hire one..... None the less I will give them a call tomorrow after visiting the police with the footage.

At what stage do i contact BC and speak to their legal team?
A motor fleet policy means it's probably a company car. No difference at all for you. If you want to use BC's solicitors, speak to them first. They will tell you what they want you to do in terms of talking to insurers - and it's their job to manage the claim for you with the insurers.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
As I don't know all the details I can't agree or disagree with this. But let's say theoretically it was the riders fault - this would mean that the driver could actually expect the rider to pay for damage to his vehicle.
So maybe, the op needs to have a real good think before he starts to make the driver aware of who and where he lives.
A driver hit n run our parked up car door recently, it's over a thousand pounds plus vat worth of damage.

Kajjal

Guru
Stopped partway through a turn!
Would he have stopped if there'd been another car behind?

Legal requirement to exchange details, where injury is suffered.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/accident-advice.151618/

It is the responsibility of the person behind to leave enough space to stop. Not enough details in the post to understand exactly where bike and car were before incident. Driving off from the scene of sn accident you are involved in without giving details is low.

Top Bottom