Running on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I saw a runner on the road just yesterday. There was a wide pavement on one side only (dont think there were any pedestrians)....with cars park next to it.... and for some reason he was running in the middle of the road.
Seemed strange to me but I assume he had a reason

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
You started a discussion by presenting scenario, and. when people dismiss your argument you alter the scenario?

Silly indeed.
No, just sharing situations that I have seen it happen, I didn't list every single situation in the OP, just a generic discussion topic you are obsessed with hijacking for some strange reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Roads usually have an even (less likely to trip) and a coarse (better grip) surface.

A lot of pavements round here are flagged with stone which is slippy in the wet.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
*mod* before it gets any more personal lets count to 10 and think, before hitting post reply. This isn't the helmet thread or SC&P so lets keep it to point.

The word busy is in the OP and it has no edit history noted, the clarity of whatever we choose to call the pavement is not, so let's call it a score draw and move on nicely. *end mod*

*just me* I've never yet seen someone running in a busy road amongst motor vehicles and I live quite urban.

Quiet backroads yes but self preservation still seems to be working in Oldham and surrounds.

Also if it is increasingly common and so hazardous there's surprisingly few (none I recall) reports of killed and injured runners filtering through the local media and social media outlets, which for a fairly new craze you would rather expect to be newsworthy.

I've no more problem as a driver with a runner in the road than a mobility scooter or me pottering along on my bike and as long as they're clear in their intentions; and lit accordingly in the dark; I'm happy.
I should be aware and alert for the unexpected anyway and driving in a manner to safely mitigate others decisions if they cause a possible conflict of interest.

I may not choose to do the same if I was out there running but if they are comfortable running there, then I'm happy to live and let live.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
They do it because it's more convenient than the pavement... for reasons mentioned above. Some folk imagine it to be less convenient and insert a :wacko: or similar.... but chances are they're not runners/joggers.

And running with cars, wagons and lorries is less dangerous than other pedestrians?

I've seen it when the pavement is clear and the road is busy, seems to be a thing, and it isn't the same as a cyclist on the road, pavements are made for people

As with most of these facilities, they were made for cars

There is a stretch of shared use "pavement" near me that is ignored by both runners and cyclists

Perhaps the potholes, overgrowth, three commercial company entrances and a series of 20 odd drives with blind entrances could have something to do with it.

If the pavement was "made for pedestrians", why are there so many hazards and problems caused by the design for vehicles

Top Bottom