Running on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Certainly I can see be benefits of avoiding amblers, dog walkers and repeated side entrances, but I suppose the answer is why do people do anything?

Some won't be aware of the dangers, some will run on with traffic as that is the side they'd drive / ride on, some might be on that side as that's the side they started on, or thats the side they want to be on when they get wherever they're going. Short of stopping and asking them I guess we'll never know. :rolleyes:

Ha ha very true. I assumed there would be a definitive reason, or it was encouraged by running clubs or similar, maybe there are just various reasons for different people. I still don't get why so many do it though, even acknowledging the reasons stated, some of them don't affect some runner who still decide to run on the road? I guess we may never entirely know

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
You could argue the same for bicycles on road vs pavement. The responsibility for avoiding (dodging if you prefer) a collision is not solely that of the more vulnerable party.
I think a cyclist that can travel much quicker is a greater hazard than a jogger to a pedestrian. Also cyclists are not allowed on many pavements ( I believe)

Firestorm

Veteran
I think a cyclist that can travel much quicker is a greater hazard than a jogger to a pedestrian. Also cyclists are not allowed on many pavements ( I believe)
are you talking joggers or runners though ?
I can see little reason for a jogger to ge running on the road where there is a pavement, the stride length is shorter and therefore the foot plant is flatter, the speed is lower too, so they are more stable, a half decent runner, even on a steady run will be going at 9-10 mph, and interval season could be at over 15mph. The higher speed does really need a more even surface
A jogger could be doing around 4 -5

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
are you talking joggers or runners though ?
I can see little reason for a jogger to ge running on the road where there is a pavement, the stride length is shorter and therefore the foot plant is flatter, the speed is lower too, so they are more stable, a half decent runner, even on a steady run will be going at 9-10 mph, and interval season could be at over 15mph. The higher speed does really need a more even surface
A jogger could be doing around 4 -5
Wasn't really being specific, I've seen a variety of styles, types and speeds. Never realised a runner could be running over 15mph, I think most I've seen would be more jogger than runner, but then again I haven't really studied it that closely

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along

Responsible cyclists will not be travelling at such hazardous speeds, as any number of such threads on here make the point about responsibility to and respect for the vulnerable pedestrian. IIRC senior police officers have also advocated a common sense attitude of enforcement towards pavement cycling.

The point that aggravated however is the notion of the vulnerable party being expected to dodge the motorised element as if the motor driver has no responsibility in the matter simply because the setting has become road not pavement.

Same rules and common courtesies apply.

Firestorm

Veteran
A decent runner doing 200-250 m intervals will be going at 60sec 400m pace, I was a lower regional league athlete in my Thirties and early forties, and not that good , and my autumn winter intervals on the non track evenings were done at that pace.
A longer distance runner may well be doing 800m intervals at 4 1/2 minute mile pace. It really surprises pedestrians probably more than a cyclist at over 20mph does a motorist.
Our club was fortunate as locally we have a flat wide seafront pavement, which at one stage the council had put markers up every 500m (these were defaced by an anti metric group to show furlongs and ended up being taken down !) but some Sunday mornings we dropped onto the cycle path for the shorter sprints if the pavement got a bit busy for a group session.

DanZac

As a runner and cyclist its often easier to run on the road, due, as others have said to the endless dropped kerbs, aimless pedestrians totaly engrossed in their phones, dog walkers etc (as we often avoid rubbish cycle paths). The vehicles tend to be a bit more predictive in their actions.
As an aside the only time i have had any problems running (average about 1000 miles a year) was when some scrote on a bike cycling on the pavement went straight into the side of me, resulting injuries stopped me running for over 6 months.
I will take my chances with the traffic, it often seems safe to me.

DRHysted

Guru
A decent runner doing 200-250 m intervals will be going at 60sec 400m pace, I was a lower regional league athlete in my Thirties and early forties, and not that good , and my autumn winter intervals on the non track evenings were done at that pace.
A longer distance runner may well be doing 800m intervals at 4 1/2 minute mile pace. It really surprises pedestrians probably more than a cyclist at over 20mph does a motorist.
Our club was fortunate as locally we have a flat wide seafront pavement, which at one stage the council had put markers up every 500m (these were defaced by an anti metric group to show furlongs and ended up being taken down !) but some Sunday mornings we dropped onto the cycle path for the shorter sprints if the pavement got a bit busy for a group session.

That's some pace. At present I think I'm doing well maintaining sub 7 minute miles.

DRHysted

Guru
Regarding running on the roads.

If you think the state of the roads and cycle paths is bad, you really should try the pavements. Round here they are a mismatch of different and continual patching, repairs, excavations. Not to mention the constant up and downs of all the dropped kerbs stopping you managing to keep a consistent pace.
Saying that I still generally run on the pavements, unless it's school kicking out time when it's impossible to use the pavements due to the parents and children who will not give an inch of path to anyone else (when I was young my mother made us go single file so others could use the paths as well, I take it this is just a change in the times).

Sandra6

Veteran
Its actually recommended that you run on the road as the tarmac is "softer" and more forgiving than the concrete of a pavement, so does less damage to your knees etc.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Regarding running on the roads.

If you think the state of the roads and cycle paths is bad, you really should try the pavements. Round here they are a mismatch of different and continual patching, repairs, excavations. Not to mention the constant up and downs of all the dropped kerbs stopping you managing to keep a consistent pace.
Saying that I still generally run on the pavements, unless it's school kicking out time when it's impossible to use the pavements due to the parents and children who will not give an inch of path to anyone else (when I was young my mother made us go single file so others could use the paths as well, I take it this is just a change in the times).
I don't run anymore but did lots when I was younger training for rugby. Never seemed to have a problem with pavements, maybe they are worse now than 20 years ago but round me they seem fine. That said I never considered running on the road so maybe yes it would have been better on occasions

Firestorm

Veteran
That's some pace. At present I think I'm doing well maintaining sub 7 minute miles.
It depenss on what you mean by maintain, if you mean for a 5 mile run or more that pretty decent
The higher speeds are for interval training, i was in a sprint group so a 5 mile run with 6 or 8 200m sprints in it would be staple winter session.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
The pavements round my way are shocking. Uneven slabs, sagging pavia, cracks and endless curbs to stop at. If I ran, id run in the gutter too.

It frustrates me when runners take up a lot of width on the dedicated cycle superhighways, by running two abreast but only as much as I frustrate drivers when I ride two abreast. Its a tiny delay.

Glad people are finding abuse for it frankly

Edit, oops should have read, Glad people are finding a use for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom