Running on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
I've seen more and more people lately running on the road.
I don't mean when there is no pavement, I mean normal busy roads, running along with traffic?
Why is this happening? What's the advantages? Am I missing something? Just seems dangerous to me, unecassarily if there is a pavement
It's not clear why you are asking a bunch of cyclists, you might get a more informed response from runners.
Try
http://therunningbug.co.uk/rbforums/default.aspx
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/
http://www.runnersforum.co.uk/

I think the main point is there are more and more people who think roads are exclusively for mechanically propelled vehicles and not walkers, runners, cyclists, horses, carts, etc or can only be used by the non-mechanically propelled sorts under special rules and conditions, which are arbitrarily decided by individuals using aforementioned mechanically propelled vehicles on a case by case basis.

I see a growing trend on cyclechat and elsewhere of people claiming they are scared of cycling, that it is dangerous and trying to dictate to others what to do, what to wear, where to ride etc. They'd be as well leaving their bikes in the shed and leaving their opinions there as well, and go back to driving about shaking their heads and fists. Nobbers.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I think the main point is there are more and more people who think roads are exclusively for mechanically propelled vehicles and not walkers, runners, cyclists, horses, carts, etc or can only be used by the non-mechanically propelled sorts under special rules and conditions, which are arbitrarily decided by individuals using aforementioned mechanically propelled vehicles on a case by case basis.

I see a growing trend on cyclechat and elsewhere of people claiming they are scared of cycling, that it is dangerous and trying to dictate to others what to do, what to wear, where to ride etc. They'd be as well leaving their bikes in the shed and leaving their opinions there as well, and go back to driving about shaking their heads and fists. Nobbers.

Motor-centrists.
They just can't stop thinking like drivers.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Nah, your aliright, if your that concerned try yourself, point of clarity, this is in the 'cafe'
To be fair, there is an any runners on here thread that might have garnered more runner centric responses to the questions you posed in your opening post that are best answered by runners than the generally still cycling oriented denizens of the cafe.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
To be fair, there is an any runners on here thread that might have garnered more runner centric responses to the questions you posed in your opening post that are best answered by runners than the generally still cycling oriented denizens of the cafe.
Didn't know there was a runners thread, even so it was just a curious post which anyone can share thoughts on. But as often the case it gets hijacked and posters want to make more of it than needed, simply a curious question aimed and seeing thoughts from a range of people.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I see quite a lot of runners when I'm out cycling and yes, I have seen more recently running on the road rather than the footpath / sidewalk / footway / causeway, etc recently.
Almost all of the time we co-exist without problem.

No idea why they've abandoned the path, but some of the reasons given above seem sensible. They generally run towards traffic and seem to have an awareness of their surroundings. Some even have lights!

That said, I did see one yesterday running with his back to traffic and wearing a huge pair of noise-canceling Beats headphones, which I though was chancing things a bit, so I gave him a wide berth.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Mod hat here David.

I've just looked back over the thread and you appear to be overdramatising the notion of the thread being hijacked. Your 50:50 spat with Drago aside - which was addressed earlier and has ceased, it has stuck pretty well to topic.

All I can see is you making an oblique reference to this being in the cafe, the relevance of which was questioned (x2) as it would appear not to have been as clearly understood as you intended it to be, you have now clarified why you made that observation, so thank you.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I see quite a lot of runners when I'm out cycling and yes, I have seen more recently running on the road rather than the footpath / sidewalk / footway / causeway, etc recently.
Almost all of the time we co-exist without problem.

No idea why they've abandoned the path, but some of the reasons given above seem sensible. They generally run towards traffic and seem to have an awareness of their surroundings. Some even have lights!

That said, I did see one yesterday running with his back to traffic and wearing a huge pair of noise-canceling Beats headphones, which I though was chancing things a bit, so I gave him a wide berth.

This is similar to my experiences with runners on the road. Very often wearing all the kit plus lights, seem to be taking things seriously. That said I have seen many running with traffic rather than towards it, often when there is no obvious reason as given by several posters not to use the pavement?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
This is similar to my experiences with runners on the road. Very often wearing all the kit plus lights, seem to be taking things seriously. That said I have seen many running with traffic rather than towards it, often when there is no obvious reason as given by several posters not to use the pavement?

Certainly I can see the benefits of avoiding amblers, dog walkers and repeated side entrances, but I suppose the answer is why do people do anything?

Some won't be aware of the dangers, some will run on with traffic as that is the side they'd drive / ride on, some might be on that side as that's the side they started on, or thats the side they want to be on when they get wherever they're going. Short of stopping and asking them I guess we'll never know. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom