Show us your Swiss Army Knife.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A knife with a locking blade is a designated offensive weapon, much like a shuriken or extendable police baron, albeit designated under different legislation. It's an absolute offence, ie, there is no legal defence of reasonable excuse for having it in public. Not unlawful to own or use at home or on private property with the permission of the landlord. I'd be relying on a magistrate to dismiss the case, or find me guilty but apply no penalty.

I vaguely know the guy who runs that website - he's not a copper, and you're not asking the police, and the police aren't giving their advice. Indeed, the police are not qualified to give legal advice (excepting the few that have law degrees or are qualified solicitors) are are forbidden from doing so by the NPCC. Go to a solicitor.
I disagree - if you don't like that site look here - https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives The totally banned list is very different.

"
Lock knives
Lock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason. Lock knives:

• have blades that can be locked and refolded only by pressing a button
  • can include multi-tool knives - tools that also contain other devices such as a screwdriver or can opener
"

Now - defining good reason is tricky as only a few examples are given:

Good reasons for carrying a knife or weapon
Examples of good reasons to carry a knife or weapon in public can include:
  • taking knives you use at work to and from work
  • taking it to a gallery or museum to be exhibited
  • if it’ll be used for theatre, film, television, historical reenactment or religious purposes, for example the kirpan some Sikhs carry
  • if it’ll be used in a demonstration or to teach someone how to use it
However, it misses out the obvious ones such as buying your kitchen knife and taking it home.

I would say camping / bush craft would come under good reasons, waving your knife around on a Saturday in the high street night less so. As far as I am aware, no people engaging in outdoor pursuits have ever had a problem.

Nibor

Bewildered
My EDC is a Kershaw Pub .. wanted something small with a decent bit of steel and a bottle opener. This fitted the bill very well.

https://www.heinnie.com/kershaw-pub-32514

For bigger duties I'm a bit traditional, this John Nowill Sheffield scout knife is superb.

View attachment 493562
I have the exact same sheath knife my late Father bought me when I was a Scout.

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have the exact same sheath knife my late Father bought me when I was a Scout.

I will never part with mine. My Dad gave it to me in around 1986 & I used it on DofE expeditions. Currently it comes out shooting with me/bushcraft etc.

It holds an amazing edge for a long time. I have more modern knives but this is special.

Nibor

Bewildered
Picks of mine I will need to clean the blade up 493753

Gunk

Guru
I have had my Leatherman Wave in the car for probably 20 years now and must use it at least once a week, but the blades all lock, so I’m guessing technically it’s not legal to carry it.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
20191122_131301.jpg

No idea the model number. I got it after losing two leathermans and it's been a pretty good replacement. Carry it daily for work but I'm guessing the locking knife could get me in trouble

20191122_131433.jpg

Mind you, I've carried it on planes at least 8 or 10 times in the last couple of years with no issues. I even handed it with my keys to the security guy at Bristol airport to hold while I went through the metal detector and he handed it back to me with no comment.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
View attachment 493799

No idea the model number. I got it after losing two leathermans and it's been a pretty good replacement. Carry it daily for work but I'm guessing the locking knife could get me in trouble

View attachment 493800

Mind you, I've carried it on planes at least 8 or 10 times in the last couple of years with no issues. I even handed it with my keys to the security guy at Bristol airport to hold while I went through the metal detector and he handed it back to me with no comment.
Have to say I'm astonished. If that's not a potentially lethal weapon I don't know what is. How the hell can that get thru' security & onto a plane?

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Have to say I'm astonished. If that's not a potentially lethal weapon I don't know what is. How the hell can that get thru' security & onto a plane?

I've long suspected airline security is a sham. Again at Bristol airport, I walked through the arch with a pocketful of change no problem. My boss behind me got stopped and searched - they claimed the magnetic strip on his car parking ticket had triggered the metal detector.

Smudge

Veteran

So am I, pockets knives have been a definite no no on flights. As it was what was used in the 9/11 attacks.

If they have a blade that requires you to push a button/ mechanism to close it then yes.
Everyone resorts to quoting the law but the laws are interpreted by the courts. There is no law prohibiting carry of lock knives, it is just a court interpretation that a lock knife is fixed not folding.
Original Leatherman tools have no button, lever or lock but the handles secure the blade from closing. I still dont know if the courts see this a a lock therefore a fixed knife or simply a folder like a Swiss Army Knife.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Thread resurrection alert.

Just found this in the junk drawer , apparently belongs to the Fragrant MrsP. Not anymore it doesn’t.

IMG_3130.jpeg

It’s about time we had some updates. Any new Swiss Army Knives to share?

Top Bottom