Show us your Swiss Army Knife.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
Strange you should bring the subject up, my old Swiss Army knife turned up recently while I was looking for something else. Think I got this as a birthday present when I was 9 or 10 years old, so must now be at least 50 years old. Sadly the toothpick and tweezers are long gone and the corkscrew on the other side is broken, but seeing as then I was too young to know about the delights of wine drinking can only assume it got broken using it for something else, probably screwing into a piece of wood for the hell of it!

View attachment 493563

Send it back to the uk returns address for Victorinox under their lifetime warranty. They will service it and replace broken parts, or will offer you a new one. All FOC.

+++Thread Resurrection!+++

Cybertool 34 on the right. Current equivalent: Cybertool M. Top left is closest to a Recruit, doesn't have any toothpick or tweezers.
Centre left is a Waiter, also without the toothpick and tweezers they have now.
At the bottom, the Excelsior, still unused.
Cybertool has rarely been out of my reach for 15 years...

wonderloaf

Veteran
Send it back to the uk returns address for Victorinox under their lifetime warranty. They will service it and replace broken parts, or will offer you a new one. All FOC.
Thanks, didn't realise this, although I kind of like the all the scars and broken bits as they bring back happy memories.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
...as you do, I decided to dig out the sharpening stone and do the job properly.
Cue long search for said stone, which turned up a) the stone, and b) every other pocket knife I own.
The one I have carried around for the last decade and a half is a Victorinox Cybertool 34 (bottom left), a cracking bit of kit that has been endlessly useful, particularly as I mess with computers a lot, which is of course its function and why I have it.
The rest are various flavours of Swiss Army Knife, or Opinels in varying sizes:
View attachment 493552
The foreground Opinel, a stainless steel blade version, was a Father's Day gift while at Les Eyzies de Tayac in 1994 or thereabouts. The other carbon-steel ones have been acquired over time, the tiny one bought merely because I saw it and decided I couldn't live without such a dinky little knife. Never used it for anything, mind...
Anyhow, all now cleaned and sharp, and hidden away until the next time I remember they exist!
Lovely as they are, just a reminder boys and girls that Opinel knives are predominantly locking, so are illegal for every day carry.

alicat

Legendary Member
My current favourite is a tiny little Leatherman called a Style PS.

Yes, mine too. I was too frightened that my Swiss Army knife would get confiscated at airport security: it was given to me by my boyfriend when I passed some professional exams in the mid 80s and so has great sentimental value.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

CharlesF

Guru
Thanks, didn't realise this, although I kind of like the all the scars and broken bits as they bring back happy memories.
That’s why they first tell you what will be replaced, and you say yes or no depending. I originally wanted to keep the battered plastic outers, they then explained why you should replace them. And you get all the old bits back, for me that was a win win.

Drago

Legendary Member
Lovely as they are, just a reminder boys and girls that Opinel knives are predominantly locking, so are illegal for every day carry.
Same problem with my Gerber. Locking blade makes it unlawful to carry, even though it's well under 7.62cm. Ironically, I carried it as a copper - as do many dibble - for work purposes. Many a life saved because a copper was able to snip a seatbelt or cut a noose down, even though carrying them was illegal - no exemption for the feds on that one.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Same problem with my Gerber. Locking blade makes it unlawful to carry, even though it's well under 7.62cm. Ironically, I carried it as a copper - as do many dibble - for work purposes. Many a life saved because a copper was able to snip a seatbelt or cut a noose down, even though carrying them was illegal - no exemption for the feds on that one.
That seems kind of bonkers. You'd imagine a copper's work might occasionally put him in a situation where a blade would be essential - such as the ones you mention. You'd think they'd not only be allowed but required to carry a knife.

Drago

Legendary Member
Occasionally some smart arriss senior officer would actually threaten to arrest us over it. After one particularly strident threat a bobby I know, now long since retired, dismantled his leatherman/Gerber and took a bench grinder to the tangs on the knife blades so they wouldn't lock. He then attached it to his belt and strutted about the station showing it off as prominently as possible. Sure enough the Inspector that had been making a lot of noise about arresting officers carrying such knives had him, and the Fed (for a change) descended on the Inspector while threatening them with solicitors. I think said inspector got a rollicking by the scrambled egg ranks, and after that officers who carried such tools at work got left alone.

I tread the same line. I have a locking bladed rescue knife for SAR work. I only ever carry it on a callout or going to and from training, and don't wave it about in public, but I'm still breaking the law. So people with a legitimate and potentially life saving use can't carry them, but criminals (who by the very nature of being criminals don't obey laws that impede their criminal behaviour) carry on as normal, and knife crime is indeed rising.

Our weapons laws are archaic, punitive against the otherwise law abiding, archaic, and not fit for purpose. Many of them are kneejerk laws, and that's usually the worst legislation.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I tread the same line. I have a locking bladed rescue knife for SAR work. I only ever carry it on a callout or going to and from training, and don't wave it about in public, but I'm still breaking the law. So people with a legitimate and potentially life saving use can't carry them, but criminals (who by the very nature of being criminals don't obey laws that impede their criminal behaviour) carry on as normal, and knife crime is indeed rising.
I would strongly argue that you are not breaking the law as you have a 'good reason' for carrying it. Certainly when on camp with the scouts, I would have my locking penknife with me, although it would stay on the site if we were on something like a town visit.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q337.htm

Drago

Legendary Member
A knife with a locking blade is a designated offensive weapon, much like a shuriken or extendable police baron, albeit designated under different legislation. It's an absolute offence, ie, there is no legal defence of reasonable excuse for having it in public. Not unlawful to own or use at home or on private property with the permission of the landlord. I'd be relying on a magistrate to dismiss the case, or find me guilty but apply no penalty.

I vaguely know the guy who runs that website - he's not a copper, and you're not asking the police, and the police aren't giving their advice. Indeed, the police are not qualified to give legal advice (excepting the few that have law degrees or are qualified solicitors) are are forbidden from doing so by the NPCC. Go to a solicitor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom