What age is old

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 10 9.6%

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • or older

Votes: 74 71.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arch684

Veteran
Age takes it's toll on all of us,average speed goes down,injuries take longer to heal and it takes longer to recover after a long day on the bike.I will soon be 66 but i hope to be cycling into my 70s

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Don't know really. I'm 23 and it's hard to predict..... but I really think that by living healthily I can still be quite active in my 80s.

Hair is going already though.

The 'count to 100 using pictures' thread will still be going too! :giggle:

PaulB

Legendary Member
It's all to do with perspective. When I was a young child, people living to 70 where I am from was a rarity. My great-grandmother died at 84 and this was considered exceptional and everyone who knew her well were consoled by her 'having a good innings'. I attend multi-disciplinary cases now where patients of that age and older are having their cases being discussed for treatments, the implication being this is someone with many years ahead of them.

If your parents and grandparents were illness-free or relatively illness-free, then you'll have an intrinsic belief that you'll be the same and have an expectation to live a long life. My grandparents were all in their 80s when they died and none of them had any debilitating diseases or illnesses while my father is 78 and still full of life. So my mental tariff is that old age is higher than I would have thought when I was a kid but that's not as high as it's going to be when my grandchildren are the age I am now.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I went to have routine bloods taken at my GP last week. The practice nurse said to me "you're only 62, still a young man. We don't consider anyone round here old till 85." I responded I looked forward to her telling me I'm old!!

Rural life, lots of farmers etc. and also a demographic of people likely to be interested in sport and exercise.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It's all comparative isn't it? I feel as if i'm getting on a bit - in my 70th year, new hip, heart plumbing repaired, and so on, but then when we arrive at the coffee stop after a 20 mile ride and see the mid morning full-breakfast scoffing argyle-cardi 'old people' stuffing their faces after having walked all the way from the car park, I feel younger and fitter again - and I've not yet been tempted to buy anything from one of those shops that sell 'old man's clothes' - every small town has one - the 'independent gent's outfitter'. Beware Argyle cardi's and grey velcro shoes

Reactions: Oxo

Oxo

Guru
It's all comparative isn't it? I feel as if i'm getting on a bit - in my 70th year, new hip, heart plumbing repaired, and so on, but then when we arrive at the coffee stop after a 20 mile ride and see the mid morning full-breakfast scoffing argyle-cardi 'old people' stuffing their faces after having walked all the way from the car park, I feel younger and fitter again - and I've not yet been tempted to buy anything from one of those shops that sell 'old man's clothes' - every small town has one - the 'independent gent's outfitter'. Beware Argyle cardi's and grey velcro shoes

My sentiments exactly.

Oxo

Guru
I went to have routine bloods taken at my GP last week. The practice nurse said to me "you're only 62, still a young man. We don't consider anyone round here old till 85." I responded I looked forward to her telling me I'm old!!

Rural life, lots of farmers etc. and also a demographic of people likely to be interested in sport and exercise.

Went for my annual check-up and the nurse asked me to set a target for the following 12 months. I told her that I would simply come back and see her next year.

Top Bottom