What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
Just started Mr Bates vs the Post Office - its very well done. I have been following the sort for some years.

Once you've watched you'll want to sign the attached....

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petiti...nk&share=56400ca5-57b0-4c6c-a36e-26d1cbd2e300

Hopefully this series will catalyst to her finally getting some justice meted out, but no doubt she'll be protected by friends in high places.

Today's BBC News: Cameron government knew Post Office ditched Horizon IT investigation.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68146054

"Without Prejudice"

Interestingly, today's revelations were after the very brave whistleblower, Richard Roll, ex Fujitsu software support, was interviewed by BBC Panorama in 2015 and spilled the beans about remote access data editing. So, maybe, the government felt it had to be seen to be doing something about the situation in 2016.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67884743
"Senior managers tried to smear postmasters before Panorama broadcast an interview in 2015 with a Fujitsu whistleblower.
Former insider Richard Roll revealed accounts on the Horizon computer system could be secretly altered."

yello

<aside>
Off topic warning, not intended as a discussion starter...

"spilled the beans about remote access data editing"

As an ex-IT person, I can say that 'remote access' is very much a common thing and part of a pretty much standard support environment. And equally, 'data editing' occurs as and when necessary (though hopefully with an audit trail) As a software developer, you often needed to see a real, live data environment to successfully debug software. With the best will in the world, a test bed (even if it contained real, anonymised data) tended to contain anticipated datasets. If stuff happened that wasn't supposed to, you simply HAD to look at the live system that contained the anomaly - and possibly even correct/adjust data accordingly. That, in itself, does not alarm me.

What is alarming (to me) is that this 'data editing' was pretty much an ongoing necessity to balance the books. To me, it indicates that the software was rolled out to too many and too soon, with no meaningful beta-testing on limited and selected sites. The question, for me, is how it got to that point. How is it that Fujitsu (and the Post Office) rolled out the software when they did. What project dates were there and how were they to be met/enforced? </aside>

yello

I'm currently watching The New Look and find it fascinating. I had no idea that Coco Chanel was implicated, to the degree that she was, as a Nazi sympathiser. There's an interesting colour to the series to, literally. It seems to be shot in an almost era inducing tonality. Acting variable, scripts sometimes clunky, but all very watchable (some might find it a little slow)

Last edited:

yello

Bosch:Legacy. I love the books and Titus Welliver is an excellent embodiment of the hero.

Dunno if that's the same series as I've been watching. It's simply called Bosch here. A very watchable program for an otherwise generic cop show.

yello

Another good episode of Call The Midwife tonight

I read a really spirited defence of the show, almost making me want to be a regular watcher. I had no idea that it was a somewhat 'marmite' program, with many people disliking its 'feel good' vibe. It's apparently really well researched for both period and location accuracy, and does not shy away from the issues of the time. I know little of the show tbh, having only enjoyed the gentleness of a couple of episodes. It is on here in France and can be watched in VO.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I read a really spirited defence of the show, almost making me want to be a regular watcher. I had no idea that it was a somewhat 'marmite' program, with many people disliking its 'feel good' vibe. It's apparently really well researched for both period and location accuracy, and does not shy away from the issues of the time. I know little of the show tbh, having only enjoyed the gentleness of a couple of episodes. It is on here in France and can be watched in VO.

We like it due to being nice easy watching with no violence and swearing and it passes an hour

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Watched "Too good to be true" a channel 5 drama. All a bit predictable really, so I was disappointed. I also hate it when the ending is set up for a series 2.

GuyBoden

Guru
<aside>

As an ex-IT person, I can say that 'remote access' is very much a common thing and part of a pretty much standard support environment. And equally, 'data editing' occurs as and when necessary (though hopefully with an audit trail) As a software developer, you often needed to see a real, live data environment to successfully debug software. With the best will in the world, a test bed (even if it contained real, anonymised data) tended to contain anticipated datasets. If stuff happened that wasn't supposed to, you simply HAD to look at the live system that contained the anomaly - and possibly even correct/adjust data accordingly. That, in itself, does not alarm me.

What is alarming (to me) is that this 'data editing' was pretty much an ongoing necessity to balance the books. To me, it indicates that the software was rolled out to too many and too soon, with no meaningful beta-testing on limited and selected sites. The question, for me, is how it got to that point. How is it that Fujitsu (and the Post Office) rolled out the software when they did. What project dates were there and how were they to be met/enforced? </aside>

After the acceptance testing the Post Office signed off the Horizon software, because it had met the acceptance contract criteria.
<aside>

"Without Prejudice"
Mr Bates v Post Office. ITV Docu/Drama.

The large number of Horizon Software Release Notes may give an indication.
The total number of Release Notes is 19,842 at final version.

THE HONOURABLE MR JUSTICE FRASER
https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/bates-v-post-office-judgment.pdf
Page 183
"A spreadsheet listing the Release Notes was produced which shows that there have been
a great number of changes and updates both to Legacy Horizon and Horizon Online
over the years. The total number of Release Notes is 19,842 at final version."

"Each expert provided an estimate of how many changes per week there have been to Horizon. Mr
Coyne’s estimate is approximately 19 changes per week. Dr Worden’s estimate is 5 changes per working day."

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
<aside>

I worked in IT for 40 odd years, and I concur with every bit of that

stephec

Legendary Member
detectorists

When this first came out I watched a couple of trailers but never really fancied it, now for some reason I've decided to give it a go and I'm glad I did.

Really funny without the over the top nonsense of a sitcom, it's almost making me want to go out and buy a metal detector.

Top Bottom