Winter Olympics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
Maybe he just watched it to see what it was about.

I did exactly that as it had been so hyped up - never watched it before.

Very impressive the amount of time spent in the air and clearly the competitors are skillful at what they do.

I have no idea why the rails etc are there; not exactly wintery and I don't recollect seeing any in my mountain forays over the years and it made it all feel very artificial to me..

Ultimately, after a first impression of thinking 'that's quite clever' I found it tedious as it all looked pretty much the same to me. On the upside it's a sport that imo is marginally less dull than that celebrity dancing on ice nonsense on 'the box'.

The rails reflect the slightly out-law-ish "free-running" aspect of the sport's origins - lots of footage on Youtube of kidz using roofs/flights of steps/handrails etc to do tricks.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I'm enjoying the pairs figure skating right now

I am having to endure BBC nobs commentating on various sports who obviously know only what they have skimmed read since they found out they were going to Sochi. Today, the toughest event in the Olympics isn't live except online, instead I can record / watch curling all day or the quite ridiculous mogul skiing, another subjective sport. I do respect the figure skaters because they have to be very fit to compete, others are debatable. Maybe we could have a separate Artistic Olympics?
If you want to see some real pressure stuff, watch the women's pursuit tomorrow in the Biathlon. Andrew Musgrave will also be trying for a medal in the cross country sprints, the Russians will be also be hoping for medals in this.

Today, the toughest event in the Olympics isn't live except online..... quite ridiculous mogul skiing, another subjective sport.

Umm, I thought the toughest winter event was on the last day. Agreed about subjectivity (mentioned back in post # 87), but some are more subjective than others. The best mogul skier won today and on saturday.

Umm, I thought the toughest winter event was on the last day. Agreed about subjectivity (mentioned back in post # 87), but some are more subjective than others. The best mogul skier won today and on saturday.
Those aren't moguls, more like perfectly sculptured pimples. Men's 50km? No tougher than the women's 30km, though I would like to see them doing equal distances and do away with the present discrimination which is supposed to be against the Olympic Charter. If they were carrying rifles I might concede.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
They don't need to, he's 'ex-'KGB.
KGB? Known Gay-Boy ....

sazzaa

One of the women had a really bad fall in the "slopeside" skiing this morning, still waiting for news. One of the commentators said "She had her helmet on and a mouth guard in so I am sure she will be ok".
That's alright then.
I've been watching live footage at work all morning, completely hooked. Really awful to see a crash like that, hope she's ok.

Stephenite

Membå
Managed to catch some of the cross-country sprint today whilst at work. Disappointed it didn't work out for Andrew Musgrave; I had hopes of a medal from him.

'Do you remember Eddie the Eagle?' is what i've been getting all week from my workmates.

Top Bottom