Winter Olympics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Given it's huge popularity as a winter sport? I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be in the winter Olympics to be honest.
To me it just seems to be the snowy place equivalent of 'yoofs' rolling up and down plywood ramps on skateboards, is it really a sport?

Angling, darts, snooker, all popular, and all with far more objective ways of determining who is better at it. Should they be Olympic 'sports' too?

green1

Über Member
To me it just seems to be the snowy place equivalent of 'yoofs' rolling up and down plywood ramps on skateboards, is it really a sport?

Angling, darts, snooker, all popular, and all with far more objective ways of determining who is better at it. Should they be Olympic 'sports' too?
Ski Jumping, Figure skating, Gymnastics, Diving?

sazzaa

Well, no, because there's no real fitness or athleticism involved in any of those.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Well, no, because there's no real fitness or athleticism involved in any of those.
Curling, archery, shooting ?
I would suggest these have the same basic requirement as snooker and darts, the ability to co-ordinate your actions to achieve greater accuracy more consistently than your opponent, rather than requiring fitness or athleticism.

green1

Über Member
Curling, archery, shooting ?
I would suggest these have the same basic requirement as snooker and darts, the ability to co-ordinate your actions to achieve greater accuracy more consistently than your opponent, rather than requiring fitness or athleticism.
Anything were you can better after 3 or 4 pints than sober isn't a sport and shouldn't be in the Olympics. ;)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Probably because in Canada it can be played on the local pond for a decent chunk of the year. You never know if there is a big freeze now, there could be a sudden demand for curling stones in the Levels and Thames Valley. :whistle:

Only pumice stone ones - they float. Granite ones sink.

The chances of a freeze match Man United's chances of topping the premiership.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
These commentators in the weird, contrived skiing for rich kids with dreads are bleedin' caricatures.
Inept ones at that

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
In fact they often jump further, in the mixed team ski jump [2 men 2 women] it is always the men however that get the glory by jumping last, same in all the ski relay races

Ski jumping is regulated to ensure distances dont get too long, that's why they change the launch bench up and down the slope. There is an optimum position where they want to land on, it isnt about who can go furthest, otherwise everyone would just go off the top start ramp.

Ski jumping is regulated to ensure distances dont get too long, that's why they change the launch bench up and down the slope. There is an optimum position where they want to land on, it isnt about who can go furthest, otherwise everyone would just go off the top start ramp.
Actually you are only partially correct. The bench is changed to reflect the wind conditions, back wind = higher start and front wind = lower start. Within these imposed restrictions the aim is still to try and jump the furthest and providing it is not a parallel 2 footed landing and a telemark is achieved, the longest jump will 99% of the time attract the highest style marks. The only thing that can change the score for the jump is the wind compensation.
Please don't anyone ask about waxing of skis, I can bore a candle on that subject :smile:.

Top Bottom