Winter Olympics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm not sure I'd call just over a quarter 'a high proportion'.

In any case, why is it a concern? It's not like the Olympics is judging them differently than other competitions.

As a purely sporting spectacle I think the sports where you have to go faster, higher etc etc are more attuned to the principles of the Olympic movement.

Oh, and judging bias makes me suspect that not always the best (however you define it) competitor in subjective sports end up getting the gold medal

AndyRM

XOXO
I could be wrong, @sazzaa probably knows more than me, but I think height is a consideration for tricks in the half pipe?

I see where you're coming from with your point about subjectivity, but I imagine the margins are very small and obvious bias would be rooted out pretty quickly.

Huge congrats to Lizzie Yarnold. Wasn't the greatest final run but overall she blew the competition away.

Stephenite

Membå
Not been able to see so much these past few days due to jobby - just sneaky peeks on the mobile phone. I missed Lizzie Yarnold :sad: but, brilliant!, Britain's 10th gold medal.. ever!
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_CYGVUoFwGjyZ8aPuFPHiDUj9n0yY5viC5SgqasBLyn6rwio7.jpg

Stephenite

Membå
I normally want Norway to do well.. as i'm living in it, gf coming from it, etc. But, it's coming to a crunch - if Norway do not win more than a couple more medals, of any hue, I stand to win in excess of one hundred pounds in the works sweepstakes!
Come on Kowalcyk, come on Cologna.
:smile:

Stephenite

Membå
It's me birthday sunday. Not every sunday. Just this coming sunday this year.

I've had a bit of input in the presents i'm to receive thus far, and it's gone a bit winter olympiccy, in that, i will expectantly open a gift from the in-laws containing a:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5Pnz-B7Gz9OjIjiM2bDnA-dT3C5QXIfYZY76Dx6XVbsV50FFvfQ.jpg

and a Sabotage snowboarding jacket (as, apparently, i needed one to replace my 8-year-old winter jacket that i wrongly think looks as good as new).

sazzaa

Elise Christie is on fire - I reckon she can take a medal today! (or whenever the final is, can't seem to find it in the schedule!)

Exhausting watching that. The men's 10km relay. Well done to the medallists, etc. The norwegians are blaming the tension in the skis and the waxing. GB didn't manage to get four skiers together. Time for @totallyfixed and me to dust off our skis?
Ha! I wish.
Elise Christie is on fire - I reckon she can take a medal today! (or whenever the final is, can't seem to find it in the schedule!)
All about the start over this distance, 2 terrible decisions against her so I hope she does it, if she doesn't I reckon it will be tough mentally to recover.
At least the beeb have continued to be consistent, there is a woman in the biathlon who has now won 3 gold medals and trust me that is an incredible feat but what we got to see was 7 hours of curling and 7 mins of biathlon :angry:.

sazzaa

All about the start over this distance, 2 terrible decisions against her so I hope she does it, if she doesn't I reckon it will be tough mentally to recover.

She seemed to breeze through it, super confident. A lot can change between now and Friday though, really hope she keeps her chin up.

sazzaa

Watching the skiing halfpipe, the heavy snow is making me extremely jealous. Feels like we haven't even had a winter this year...

Top Bottom