Winter Olympics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Best comment of the games, men's [or maybe that should read youths] slopeside [where else] Swedish skier complete with the almost obligatory dreadlocks - "Looks like he has an octopus coming out of his head" and same skier "actually I think his pants are falling down", Before he fell down. For sheer comedy and entertainment value it takes some beating.

These commentators in the weird, contrived skiing for rich kids with dreads are bleedin' caricatures.
Inept ones at that
You're just old, Grandad.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
So watch another event. It's typical commentating for slopestyle. Nothing inept about it.
They consistently predicted the scores catastrophically wrong, can't decide between themselves whether it was a 420 or 540 - it's inept.
Style has nothing to do with it but expert commentary and analysis should be expected.

sazzaa

They consistently predicted the scores catastrophically wrong, can't decide between themselves whether it was a 420 or 540 - it's inept.
Style has nothing to do with it but expert commentary and analysis should be expected.

Can you immediately tell the difference between a 420 and a 540 at that speed? And read the judges' minds?

sazzaa

No, but then I'm not an expert commentator employed by the BBC to impart their expertise to novices such as me.

They're not superhuman. They have a sheet with expected tricks on it, but competitors don't always do what they say they're going to do in that event.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
They are beyond hopeless but I guess I'll take some enjoyment from their ineptitude.

I look forward to seeing you do a 360 reverse from a goofy stance.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
At first I thought the 'yoof' were complete twonks with their yoof-ful squealing and jumping up and down in an X Factor 'I'm going to Judges House ' kinda way whenever they managed to complete the course, get a decent score etc.

And then I thought about it a bit more and concluded.......that's more in keeping with the olympic spirit than some highly paid, very rich, stars competing in eg mens sprint - not that I've got anything against Virgin Bolt specifically.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Perhaps they should change the motto to Citius Altius Fortius Aestheticus

This ^^^
There is plenty of statistical analysis that has confirmed judge bias in subjective sports so the more objective sports we have in the Olympics the better. It is of some concern that the Winter Olympics has such a high proportion of subjective sports. Four of the fifteen are subjective

AndyRM

XOXO
This ^^^
There is plenty of statistical analysis that has confirmed judge bias in subjective sports so the more objective sports we have in the Olympics the better. It is of some concern that the Winter Olympics has such a high proportion of subjective sports. Four of the fifteen are subjective

I'm not sure I'd call just over a quarter 'a high proportion'.

In any case, why is it a concern? It's not like the Olympics is judging them differently than other competitions.

Top Bottom