Winter Olympics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Winter Games is something i didnt think i'd get into but it's been great. I'm watching events that would otherwise hold no interest for me. Good to see GB womens curlers bounce back with a win over the USA today.

First match was always going to be tough for Eve and her ladies. I fancy both GB teams (though let's be honest, it's basically Scotland) for a medal in the curling.

AndyRM

XOXO
Heard one of the experts in the studio say that curling originates in Scotland, that could be why ? Also the Moscow Pipe Band giving Scotland the Brave big licks before the start of the GB Womens game with Canada was nice.

Yeah, it's definitely a Scottish invention, I've just never really understood why it's not more popular in the UK/Ireland. Seems to be most popular in Canada these days, probably because of emigration.

green1

Über Member
Yeah, it's definitely a Scottish invention, I've just never really understood why it's not more popular in the UK/Ireland. Seems to be most popular in Canada these days, probably because of emigration.
Probably because in Canada it can be played on the local pond for a decent chunk of the year. You never know if there is a big freeze now, there could be a sudden demand for curling stones in the Levels and Thames Valley. :whistle:

Just watching the women's half pipe, very disappointing, the skill level seems very poor plus they all appear quite happy to fall over and register a poor score, that and the commentators don't know when someone has done a good run or not as they are always surprised by the judges scores. The number that do fall seems very high. It feels wrong somehow that 30 secs of doing half a dozen tricks deserves a gold medal, just me I guess. Update, so the woman from the USA comes down, does one trick and gets the bronze medal.
On another note, from the lady that fought for women's ski jumping, it turns out that the head of the FIS in 2005 [he is still the president] stated that women would not be able to sustain repeated impacts on their legs.
At last I am able to pin down the real reason why women in the Winter Olympics are not allowed to race over the same distances in cross country and biathlon.
To add insult to injury, the FIS Committee consists of 18 members, yep you guessed it, 17 men and one token woman. Am at a loss to understand why this has been allowed to carry on.
Rant over for now.

sazzaa

I know in the men's half pipe there was a lot of talk about the poor design of it... probably a factor in the performances seen.

Top Bottom