Yorkshire Dales forum ride from Settle, Sun 26th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Calum

Ooh this sounds like a good one! I'm staying in Leeds for the foreseeable future so I should be around, providing i'm not working.

Fancy some company in the van, Colly?!!

colly

Re member eR
Ooh this sounds like a good one! I'm staying in Leeds for the foreseeable future so I should be around, providing i'm not working.

Fancy some company in the van, Colly?!!

Sure thing Calum. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
eek2.gif
eek2.gif
eek2.gif
Not sure I really wanted to know this! Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.
I have a feeling that I might have to walk that last few hundred metres, and if not, then I'll be standing up and giving my chain maximum grief!

Could'nt get my head around gears again,been too long s/s and fixed I guess

The hill i live on is about 20% and I can walk up that pushing my bike faster than

the mtb's can crawl up in granny gear

will be geared lower than my fixed tho around 64inches
Well, I certainly won't be riding at much more than walking pace on the steep bits, if at all!

Well I must be doing something right because my lovely better half is ok with the dates.:biggrin:
Super - I'll move you to the definites list then and add Calum! (I'm glad to see you are still with us Oop North Calum.)

Attachments

• eek2.gif
    eek2.gif
    570 bytes · Views: 46
  • eek2.gif
    eek2.gif
    570 bytes · Views: 45

evilclive

On Streetview, I can see a car park across the road from the meeting place but I don't know if that is long-stay ...

* Does anybody know the best place in Settle for all-day parking on a Sunday? *

You'd have thought I would, but since I never have to park in Settle for a long stay, I don't actually know.

I'd not rely on the town square being a sensible place to park. Two choices : Somebody puts a farmers market/cycle festival/whatever on top of it, or it's full. But I'm not aware of any restrictions.

If you're prepared to pay, then the Ashfield car park will have space (3.80?), as will Greenfoot (2.20?) and Whitefriars (3.80 again).
(http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/carpark/ashfield/bd24/settle/, follow links on that page for others).
Booths probably don't want you parking there all day.
There's plenty of streets.
Or if there's not too many, I'm a mile outside Settle and our little road can easily take 4-5 cars. Question is, how slow is slow? (ie would a tandem who did about 11mph for a 19 mile ride involving 650m of ascent fit?) And you're doing Fleet Moss the wrong way round :-)

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Put me down as a possible please.

I'm not working that weekend (for once). But I've not been riding much recently so the fitness is a little low. I need to get back out on the bike and see just how out of condition I am.

zacklaws

Guru
Don't normally look in this forum much now, but just noticed this ride, a quick mileage check says its only 12 miles further than Hebden Bridge for me, I'm not working, so unless I have something else planned I have forgot about, count me in.

I may even rough it in my car overnight and do another ride on the Monday, or even travel up on the Saturday and do more rides, as I do not start work again till the Wednesday.

And this ride will replace the Phil Ligget challenge as I have messed my leave up and only took the Saturday off and not the Sunday when that ride is.

if you are free on Sun 26th June, can get to Settle and like the sound of this ride

I am staying in Dent that weekend, so I just have to take this opportunity!

Would you add me to the list please?

Fiona N

Veteran
Can you add me to the possibles list?

I may do a bit of adding on and taking off if that's OK - i.e. I will probably ride to the start from Kendal (I'm getting so used to these 6am starts for Audax....) but then ride home from Hawes, possibly via Kirby Stephen, Orton and Shap or directly to Sedbergh, depending on weather and legs :wacko: Shame I will miss Fleet Moss and Malham ;)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Question is, how slow is slow? (ie would a tandem who did about 11mph for a 19 mile ride involving 650m of ascent fit?) And you're doing Fleet Moss the wrong way round :-)
I am currently 3 stone over my best cycling weight, relatively unfit and very slow on those kinds of climbs! If you are happy to do 70 miles with a bit over 2,000 m of climbing including 'Fleet Moss the wrong way round' then you'd be welcome to join us. As I mentioned in the first post of the thread, I reckon the ride will take us at least 8 hours including stops. I'd prefer it not to be over 10, but let's see how it goes.

Put me down as a possible please.

I'm not working that weekend (for once). But I've not been riding much recently so the fitness is a little low. I need to get back out on the bike and see just how out of condition I am.
I'm sure that you'd be okay. You've ridden with me before and I'm no fitter now than I was then. If I can do it, then so can you!

Don't normally look in this forum much now, but just noticed this ride, a quick mileage check says its only 12 miles further than Hebden Bridge for me, I'm not working, so unless I have something else planned I have forgot about, count me in.

I may even rough it in my car overnight and do another ride on the Monday, or even travel up on the Saturday and do more rides, as I do not start work again till the Wednesday.

And this ride will replace the Phil Ligget challenge as I have messed my leave up and only took the Saturday off and not the Sunday when that ride is.
Okay, but don't forget to turn up! ;)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I am staying in Dent that weekend, so I just have to take this opportunity!

Would you add me to the list please?
That's good timing - will do!

Can you add me to the possibles list?

I may do a bit of adding on and taking off if that's OK - i.e. I will probably ride to the start from Kendal (I'm getting so used to these 6am starts for Audax....) but then ride home from Hawes, possibly via Kirby Stephen, Orton and Shap or directly to Sedbergh, depending on weather and legs :wacko: Shame I will miss Fleet Moss and Malham ;)
No problem Fiona.

Yeah, it sounds like you'd really like to climb over Fleet Moss and to Malham! :whistle:

I would have done this as some lovely scenery around there-but am on hol.
Enjoy :thumbsup:
And you have a nice holiday. We'll no doubt see you again on another forum ride in the future.

zacklaws

Guru
Todays crunch day if I can make the ride, my cars in for its MOT, pre Mot first as for the past two years it has just scrapped through, its almost 20 years old and the bottoms gone, so I may be advised to scrap it, if so I may not have a car unless I buy one quick.

My knowledge of cars is nil.

Laughing at work, my cycling shoes are worth 4 times the value of my car, and my best bike 16 times.

Oh well fingers crossed, I off to garage now

Top Bottom