Yorkshire Dales forum ride from Settle, Sun 26th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Well I must be doing something right because my lovely better half is ok with the dates.:biggrin:

Mine is too !!!

If you don't mind having a whingeing old bastard around :biggrin:, please put my name on the list !

For those considering this ride . . . . . . .

*** I'll be driving up from Shropshire (early doors) on the day; I'll be going past Wrexham, Chester then onto the M56 past Runcorn/Warrington etc..

After that, I'll probably go M6, M65. (But I can be flexible, if need be)

If anyone is stuck for a lift, I've got room in my car for another bike or two - if you don't mind them placed on top of mine.

If required, I could bring a bike carrier which fits on my towbar - and will easily hold 3 bikes.

So to summarise, if up to 3 (probably 4) people want to do this ride, but need transport - I have room in the car to provide a free lift - so long as it isn't ridiculously far out of my way. ***

pubrunner

Legendary Member
One more will hardly be noticed.:smile:

:biggrin:

I'll be the fat & unfit one - on a 30 year old bike !

I'm slightly worried that I'll be the only one not on some exotic carbon fibre jobbie

I'm getting my excuses in now :thumbsup:

Mind you, I genuinely cycle a modest 13-15 miles every two or three weeks (approx. 250 - 300 miles a year :blush: )

Oh well, it'll be character building. :rolleyes:

colly

Re member eR
I'm slightly worried that I'll be the only one not on some exotic carbon fibre jobbie

Oh well, it'll be character building.

Nah there are all sorts of bikes.

Character building? 70 miles Yorkshire Dales? OH yes!

Might be a good idea to bung in a couple of longer runs between now and the off.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hey pubrunner, you will probably break the record for the longest distance travelled to one of my forum rides. Some Londoners have threatened to come up but have not yet made it!

I'm slightly worried by the "I genuinely cycle a modest 13-15 miles every two or three weeks (approx. 250 - 300 miles a year )" because this isn't an easy ride but if you are game for it, then so are we!

Only about 25% of the people on my rides turn out on exotic carbon fibre jobbies (I'll be on my 10 year old steel-framed bike).

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Hey pubrunner, you will probably break the record for the longest distance travelled to one of my forum rides.

Will I get some sort of trophy/medal for this ? :smile:

I'm slightly worried by the "I genuinely cycle a modest 13-15 miles every two or three weeks (approx. 250 - 300 miles a year )"

So am I ! :biggrin: But no point in travelling a fair way, only to do a 'short' & 'easy' ride.

TBH, I'm just as worried about the descents, as I am the climbs. And the inevitable saddlesoreness.:sad:

Only about 25% of the people on my rides turn out on exotic carbon fibre jobbies (I'll be on my 10 year old steel-framed bike).

In my eyes, that's virtually a new bike that you have - my youngest road bike is 30 years old.

Some Londoners have threatened to come up but have not yet made it!

You know how it is, with these 'soft southerners'.

TBH, I've threatened to do the odd ride myself; but I've now decided to actually get out and do it ! It'd be a sad state of affairs, if I can't be motivated to get out in great countryside, at this prime time of the year.

This will be my very first CC ride - an emotional moment; there may be tears :biggrin:

A couple of points - I believe that there is just one cafe stop - approx. how far round will it be ? Presumably, I'd better bring some jelly babies/hip flask :rolleyes: etc. ?

When we have the Cafe stop, will the bikes be in view, or should I bring a lock ? - the only one that I have is very heavy, so I'd sooner not bring it - unless I have to. I don't think that thieves would choose to nick my machine, when there's better on offer.

What sort of gearing will most be using ? The bike I'll probably be using is 34 / 26. (I've another with 34 / 28, but I don't like it quite as much). What'll you be using ?

Will there be pies ? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

A couple of points - I believe that there is just one cafe stop - approx. how far round will it be ? Presumably, I'd better bring some jelly babies/hip flask :rolleyes: etc. ?

Will there be pies ? :rolleyes:
The official stop is about halfway round at Hawes and that is likely to take us over 3 hours to reach. We will be riding through Dent village before that so we could refill bottles or buy a snack there. You should certainly carry enough food and drink to last you 2-3 hours.

I reckon pies will be available! I'll probably go for a toasted cheese and onion sandwich or beans on toast, maybe with a chocolate cake chaser ... :tongue:

When we have the Cafe stop, will the bikes be in view, or should I bring a lock ? - the only one that I have is very heavy, so I'd sooner not bring it - unless I have to. I don't think that thieves would choose to nick my machine, when there's better on offer.
I assume that the bikes will be out in the open. I'll be taking my cable lock so I'll be able to lock your bike to mine. It wouldn't stop a serious bicycle thief, but there again, any lock can be broken with enough determination. I hope that between us we carry enough locks to deter any would-be thieves.

If the weather is nice, I'd prefer to sit outside somewhere near the bikes so we could keep an eye on them and enjoy the sunshine.

What sort of gearing will most be using? The bike I'll probably be using is 34 / 26. (I've another with 34 / 28, but I don't like it quite as much). What'll you be using ?
Well, I'll be using 30/28 but at the other extreme, Pennine-Paul (if he comes along) will be riding singlespeed or fixed depending on how he flips his wheel but he knows that he will be walking up the steep stuff! Other low gears will probably be somewhere in between. There may even be someone on a touring bike with even lower gears. I'd be surprised (and impressed!) if you can get up the top section of Fleet Moss on your bike. I made it in 2006 but I was a lot fitter then and I found it very hard. I'll probably have to walk the last hundred yards or so this time, but I'll give it a go.

The descents will need to be treated with respect. There are an awful lot of chevrons on the OS map for this route, and some of the roads are narrow, with tight bends and cattle grids!

evilclive

What sort of gearing will most be using ? The bike I'll probably be using is 34 / 26. (I've another with 34 / 28, but I don't like it quite as much). What'll you be using ?

34 on the front, 26 on the back? If you're strong, or prepared to walk, you'll make it - it's only the top bit of Fleet Moss which I doubt I'd be able to ride with that gearing. Though that is with fresh legs. Cassette swap? Our tandem has 24/32, and we use it, but I was working out what I'd do if riding solo, and my 30/23 gear is a little tall - easiest drop for me was to 26/23 (blasted campag cassettes, can't just nick a big cog off the other bikes with shimano).

Colin's route has plenty of options to take a shorter yet still very pleasant ride home (last real bail out is at Hawes), so there's nothing to lose by trying.

colly

Re member eR
How far through the ride is Fleet Moss ?

Looking at the route I would say something like 5 or 6 miles after the cafe stop at Hawes.

A good reason not to have that second helping of chocolate cake.:smile:

I have just looked at my bike and it's 34 front and 26 rear.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I'll be using a 34/27 and I fully expect I'll be pushing at least some of the way.

Last time I rode this route (although in reverse - so not as steep) I was on a 39/25 and it nearly killed me....

See my posting in the RidersTales section here https://www.cyclechat.net/

I'd heed Colins warnings on the severity of the route, some of the hills in the Dales are evil

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

How far through the ride is Fleet Moss ?

Not too far on, I hope ?
It is straight after the cafe stop! Not ideal, because we will have just been sitting around eating before we tackle it - go easy on the pies!

I marked it on the profile so use can see the altitude near the summit.

settle-hawes-profile.gif

You can see that once you get to the top of Fleet Moss, there is a long really easy section followed by one more hard climb and then some less severe climbing and a final steep descent to Settle.

If anyone is absolutely wasted by the time we get to Hawes (or if the weather gets grim on us), the bailout return option is to take the B6255 to Ribblehead which is a much easier climb to a lower altitude, and then turn left down the B6479 for a quick 19 km downhill blast through Horton-in-Ribblesdale to Settle.

I've merged the bailout option onto the profile to show you how much easier that option is:

settle-hawes-ribblehead-bailout-option-profile.gif

Top Bottom