Yorkshire Dales forum ride from Settle, Sun 26th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
See my posting in the RidersTales section here http://www.cyclechat...first-sportive/

I have - and it's a great tale !

I've taken special note of the bits below :biggrin:

The entire experience sounded . . . . . . . painful !!

. . . Finally I rolled into Hawes… Hang on, Hawes? Hawes? The feedstation should be at Malham. Why am I at bloody Hawes? The sweat soaked rag that was originally the route map was duly extracted from the jersey pocket, assorted bits of banana pulp and gel wrappers were wiped off and I finaly got to see the importance of the little blue leftward arrow I'd cheerfully ignored 25 miles ago. Oh, Bugger. Rather than the 80miles I'd intended I was now on the 115 mile full route. A quick mental calculation and I decided it would be longer to turn round and go back, than to soldier on.

I intend to do no more than 70 miles ! :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How many will be doing this ride ?
I refer the honourable gentleman to the first post of the thread, which as always, is kept up to date with such information. Put it this way - so far, it is looking like a good turnout, though for some reason, foul weather can sometimes cut the numbers down somewhat at the last minute! ;)

If the forecast is bad, be prepared to do the bailout from Hawes. I wouldn't fancy climbing Fleet Moss if there was a thunderstorm going on up there! It would still be about 95 km (59 miles) so well worth doing.

If we get to Hawes and the weather is okay, but half the riders want to do the full route, and half would prefer to do the shorter version then we can split into two groups after the cafe stop. The Ribblehead route is so simple, there would be no problem navigating - left onto the B6255 signposted Ingleton, climb for 16 km (10 miles) and turn left onto the B6479 signposted Horton-in-Ribblesdale/Settle and descend for 19 km (12 miles)!

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I refer the honourable gentleman to the first post of the thread, which as always, is kept up to date with such information. Put it this way - so far, it is looking like a good turnout, though for some reason, foul weather can sometimes cut the numbers down somewhat at the last minute! ;)

I'll be there - unless it is chucking it down.

I've looked on Accuweather UK which goes up to the 25th June - which will be 'cloudy'. . . which is acceptable.

The Ribblehead route is so simple, there would be no problem navigating

kestevan might be pleased to know that !:thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'll be there - unless it is chucking it down.

I've looked on Accuweather UK which goes up to the 25th June - which will be 'cloudy'. . . which is acceptable.
If a forecast was for 2 weeks of fine settled weather, I'd trust it for the first week.

If it was for 1 week of fine settled weather, I'd trust it for 3 or 4 days.

If the forecast was for a week of changeable weather, I'd only trust a detailed forecast from the day before!

pubrunner

Legendary Member
If the forecast is bad, be prepared to do the bailout from Hawes. I wouldn't fancy climbing Fleet Moss if there was a thunderstorm going on up there!

Accuweather UK is currently forecasting rain :sad:

I'll be there if it's 'mild' rain, but not if it's stair rods rain.

In any event, I'll be treating the descents very carefully !

PaulB

Legendary Member
Me and our (recently married) Liam are preparing for the Maratona Dolomiti so this sounds like good preparation for us; big miles and lots of climb. Put us both down as definite possibles, would you old chap?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Me and our (recently married) Liam are preparing for the Maratona Dolomiti so this sounds like good preparation for us; big miles and lots of climb. Put us both down as definite possibles, would you old chap?
Done, and congratulations to Liam!

pubrunner

Legendary Member
If a forecast was for 2 weeks of fine settled weather, I'd trust it for the first week.

If it was for 1 week of fine settled weather, I'd trust it for 3 or 4 days.

If the forecast was for a week of changeable weather, I'd only trust a detailed forecast from the day before!

Accuweather now reckons it'll be 'partly sunny'.

I hope so !

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Pubrunner - you appear to put far more stock in a 2 week away weather forcast than I would recommend.

2 days = pretty accurate
4 days = Educated guesswork
1 week = Slightly educated guesswork + luck
> 10 days = well you may as well sacrifice a goat and study the entrails.

This is especially true in the Dales. The forecast can be perfectly accurate for one valley, and 10 miles away it can be doing something different.

I think the only possibly reliable forecast will be the one the day before.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I'll be using a 34/27 and I fully expect I'll be pushing at least some of the way.

Last time I rode this route (although in reverse - so not as steep) I was on a 39/25 and it nearly killed me....

See my posting in the RidersTales section here http://www.cyclechat...first-sportive/

I'd heed Colins warnings on the severity of the route, some of the hills in the Dales are evil

Oh b*gger, I've just checked and it looks as if I might be riding 34/25; or I could use a bike that I like less, which is 34/28.

Do I go for the lower geared or the pleasanter riding bike ?

Decision, decisions.

Top Bottom