Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
My garden is quiet too @welsh dragon ..think its just the summer..birds move around etc. Well i hope so anyway
but last night there were aroud 3,400 gulls on the field ,felt like a Hitchcock movie..i made the all take off as i was wth the dog on the lead..quite a sight..

gbb

Legendary Member
Something very strange has been happening here lately. All the birds have been disappearing. Buzzards, red kites, crows, pheasants, blue tits, yellow hammers. You name it, its gone. All I see now is rhe occasional wren. Even the pigeons have disappeared.
It may be quite normal, i suspect many birds are transient. I watched buzzards in one specific area for a few weeks,they were in more or less the same block of fields day after day, then all of a sudden....gone.
Also feeding patterns perhaps, voraciously looking for food for young which keep them on one locality. As they've fledged..perhaps they've moved off.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
[QUOTE 3844799, member: 9609"]this is the time of year when many birds moult, as in grow new feathers, they seem to keep a low profile during this phase.[/QUOTE]
Also they're not desperately hunting for food to feed youngsters. They don't need to visit garden feeders so much.

My wildlife today was a native ladybird that decided whilst we were stopped at the side of the road enjoying a patch of shade as we ate a bar, that my shoe was the best place to 'stop and rest'. I had been watching it as it walked along the tarmac, under my front wheel and then under my foot. I stopped watching after it failed to arrive on the other side of my foot assuming I had missed it. I even picked up my foot to check it wasn't under it and I wasn't going to stand on it. I didn't want to run it over when we left... so I was a touch surprised to spot it 10 minutes later snuggled down under one of my laces, into the fold of the tongue of my right hiking shoe! Much as I love ladybirds and have had a thing with them all my life (just don't ask), it sadly had to be evicted from its 'new' home. :cry: (It was evicted by my husband because I still can't reach my own feet etc.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Today there was a slow worm on the path
20150810_134831.jpg

Basil.B

Guru
A Red Kite was circling above my house again earlier today.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
After a leisurely pootle around the Vale of Belvoir, I came back via the Grantham Canal towpath. Near the end, just before the canal goes under the A6011 Radcliffe Road at West Bridgford, was a pair of swans with fourteen well grown cygnets. No other adults nearby, and all the family was together, so I can only assume that this was one brood. No camera, unfortunately.

gbb

Legendary Member
A sea eagle :hyper:
Floating around above the surf off Ponta Preta, then quickly floated down..ooh, is he going to take something from the shallows...no, oh well, we had to move on then.
Similar to an Osprey in colouring, a bit smaller perhaps.
I thought id seen a couple off the coast the other day but disregarded the thought, surely not i thought...
Its a remarkably barren place inland but the sea is full of life.

Just going through our photos now we're back....sea eagle ? (assumed the guide }....I suspect it's an Osprey now I can see more detail..
IMG_0423_zpszvn1jxmm.jpg

And cropped up close...
IMG_0423_zps0ov6acxl.jpg

Top Bottom