Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I only spotted it because of the strange squawking sound it makes
We used to get them in our old place. They would use the greenhouse door as a perch which meant they were really easy for us to spot them.
They eat worms and insects IIRC

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Found this 4ft long beauty earlier near Happisburgh tucking into a pigeon carcass. I think he enjoyed meeting me rather less than I did him!
image.jpg

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
[QUOTE 3831426, member: 9609"]Swifts are staring to go now - i was down the town centre early and there is usually 100s of them chasing each other at high speed in spectacular fashion between all the old buildings, but I would reckon tonight there was probably only a third of a week ago - they start to become quite rare after 8th August. :sad:[/QUOTE]
Are your swifts & swallows still about @User9609 ? There are still a few around here in SE Northumberland. The last swift I saw last year was 8th August so they seem a bit later this year.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've done hundreds of hours cycling in the Peak District and never seen a Little Owl so you were fortunate indeed. Maybe it's cos you were out in the evening?
Possibly, it's only the second one I've ever seen. Easy to miss as the cràp photo shows.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I discovered a hidden pond/lake yesterday, whilst out walking the dog. It was home to a pair of swans and several geese. The dog saw the water and went to leap in but then heard the warning hisses from the feathered inhabitants. At first she was curious, ready to pounce, but as the hissing grew closer and more threatening, she remembered that her Labrador breeding means she's only supposed to retrieve birds after the event ... so she backed away and hid behind my legs.

gbb

Legendary Member
Early 6 mile cycle commute to work this morning along the Forty Foot drain...
Been away 2 weeks and its all changing, many wheat fields are harvested, potato fields are well on the way etc etc..
One rat, scurrying from the verge in front of me.
One large raptor low over a field of hay bales, probably Buzzard or Marsh harrier.
One flock of lapwings, maybe 10 of them in a stubble field.
Plenty of crows and jackdaws....plenty of suicidal pidgeons and one hedgehog with a deathwish, right in the middle of the road.
Plenty of swans in the Forty Foot.

gbb

Legendary Member
My late dad used to tell us, when he was a kid in the late 1930s, early 1940s in Bristol and surrounding, slow worms were remarkably common. His trick was to keep one or two small ones in his mouth, walk up to some girls and smile, just allowing them to worm out of his mouth. It caused unsuspecting girls to scream and almost faint . Boys eh ? :laugh:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My late dad used to tell us, when he was a kid in the late 1930s, early 1940s in Bristol and surrounding, slow worms were remarkably common. His trick was to keep one or two small ones in his mouth, walk up to some girls and smile, just allowing them to worm out of his mouth. It caused unsuspecting girls to scream and almost faint . Boys eh ? :laugh:
At one point I lived near some land that was about to be cleared for housing in Bristol. Each day someone went around the land to various places where they had placed corrugated iron, and would collect up a few every day over a number of weeks. He would show the slow worms to anyone who showed a bit of interest in them.

Top Bottom