£200 wheel budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Sorry but ive gone from standard to ceramics before on two wheels, cosmics and r500 (i know but i got them in a trade and the wheels were all i had )and noticed a big impact on how long they roll for on both wheels

Citius

Sorry but ive gone from standard to ceramics before on two wheels, cosmics and r500 (i know but i got them in a trade and the wheels were all i had )and noticed a big impact on how long they roll for on both wheels

You've gone from lighter wheels to heavier wheels and you've gone from lighter, high performance tyres to heavier, lower performance tyres - all in a single swap.

But obviously it's the bearings which are making all the difference.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Not just the bearings no, the tyres are actually the same weight as my wider pro4's were but they arent as fast rolling i know that as i have swapped between the two a few times now

Svendo

Guru
You've gone from lighter wheels to heavier wheels and you've gone from lighter, high performance tyres to heavier, lower performance tyres - all in a single swap.

But obviously it's the bearings which are making all the difference.

Hi! I could be wrong but wouldn't heavier wheels possibly roll for longer, due to having more momentum (substitute correct physics word if necessary)? However I agree the rolling resistance of the tyres could well account for a lot of the perceived difference.

Also, did you see how I disagreed with you without any unnecessary sarcasm?

Citius

Hi! I could be wrong but wouldn't heavier wheels possibly roll for longer, due to having more momentum (substitute correct physics word if necessary)? However I agree the rolling resistance of the tyres could well account for a lot of the perceived difference.

Also, did you see how I disagreed with you without any unnecessary sarcasm?

Let's not confuse heavier wheels with heavier rims. We've done all that. There are so many variables that have changed at once that it probably isn't possible to pinpoint any cause, although the addition of more weight and slower tyres is not going to be helping.

Cyclist33

Not just the bearings no, the tyres are actually the same weight as my wider pro4's were but they arent as fast rolling i know that as i have swapped between the two a few times now

That does sound strange as I have run both Lithion 2 23s and Pro4 Endurance 25s and I find the Lithions "faster-rolling". Which just goes to show it's a subjective thing!

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Love the wheels they have worn in great over the last few rides however sadly tommorrow mornings commute will be my last ride on them, i found some planet x alloy breaking surface 50mm carbon wheels for a bargain price of £100 in great condition with schwable tyres local, my mate was going to order some scirroccos after seeing mine so he said he would give me the £100 and his few week old fulcrum 7 wheels with tyres tommorrow in a trade, so i think i am getting a great deal but i shall miss these wheels as they are bloody fantastic!!

gmw492

Veteran
Love the wheels they have worn in great over the last few rides however sadly tommorrow mornings commute will be my last ride on them, i found some planet x alloy breaking surface 50mm carbon wheels for a bargain price of £100 in great condition with schwable tyres local, my mate was going to order some scirroccos after seeing mine so he said he would give me the £100 and his few week old fulcrum 7 wheels with tyres tommorrow in a trade, so i think i am getting a great deal but i shall miss these wheels as they are bloody fantastic!!
I put my order on hold as you first said they were sluggish so was opting for the zondas but now you got me re thinking as they are cheaper than the zondas, I should of ordered them last week but caught between the 2 choices,now you got me rethinking again ^_^:wacko:,Think I will still opt for the Zondas when my overtime funds are available at the end of the month :okay:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I put my order on hold as you first said they were sluggish so was opting for the zondas but now you got me re thinking as they are cheaper than the zondas, I should of ordered them last week but caught between the 2 choices,now you got me rethinking again ^_^:wacko:,Think I will still opt for the Zondas when my overtime funds are available at the end of the month :okay:
You will not be dissappointed with the zondas, great wheels at a great price point

gmw492

Veteran
You will not be dissappointed with the zondas, great wheels at a great price point
They have great reviews as you know, so do Sciroccos but the choice has to be made by the end of the month,both good wheels judging by the reviews :okay:

jowwy

They have great reviews as you know, so do Sciroccos but the choice has to be made by the end of the month,both good wheels judging by the reviews :okay:
I chose the zondas for the overall reduction in weight, as they were adorning my spesh tarmac sl4 at the time, when it was too wet for the zipps ;)

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Personally i would go with the scirroccos over the zondas, ive now rode on the zondas for a little bit and thr scirroccos are abit more rigid especially if your a larger rider, youd be better off getting the scirroccos and a pair of top end tyres than the zondas and some cheaper rubber

jowwy

Personally i would go with the scirroccos over the zondas, ive now rode on the zondas for a little bit and thr scirroccos are abit more rigid especially if your a larger rider, youd be better off getting the scirroccos and a pair of top end tyres than the zondas and some cheaper rubber
Im a few pounds heavier than you jack and had no rigidity issues with zondas or zipps

Top Bottom