£200 wheel budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Update on the fulcrums... They are shocking wuality compared to the campags, cheaply made, spoke nipples will not adjust properly and they are rounding off, not good for an un true rear wheel

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Update on the fulcrums... They are shocking wuality compared to the campags, cheaply made, spoke nipples will not adjust properly and they are rounding off, not good for an un true rear wheel
So what's your plan for the Fulcrums then Jack?

gmw492

Veteran
New wheel buyer here and like many have spent ages to-ing and fro-ing between various wheels. Have settled for the Scirocco 35 wheelset over the Zonda's mainly for the price, but it was a tough one. I figure that the money I'll save will go towards another rear wheel and use that along with my existing front wheel for the winter commute. Really looking forward to getting them on the bike (2013 Allez Sport).
I'm in the same situation ,I actually was gonna order them a couple of weeks ago but decided to keep reading reviews and undecided,I'm thinking the difference in price would tyre and inner tube the sciroccos and still be cheaper than the Zondas, but Zondas 200g lighter,if the Sciroccos are ok up hills I'd be happy as I'm not the best climber,but got a bit of overtime due so Zondas look fav at the moment but this could change AGAIN :wacko:^_^:okay:

gmw492

Veteran
I cant see them being worth £90 more personally
That's the dilemma for someone like me,not a top cyclist just like to get out and get round at a nice pace and workout, but looking to improve all the time so would someone like me notice the difference or would that be more noticeable to more advanced cyclists.
Apologies as I seem to have taken over your post thread now :smile:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am not sure it matters - I got the Zondas recently and absolutely love them. They are replacing stock wheels on a Giant Defy so are bound to be an upgrade, but I have been very pleased with the perceived value for money.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
I couldnt climb on my ksyriums as they would flex and rub my chainstays with the scirroccos they were gery rigid and got me up the hills much better, youve got to think that the deeper rim means shorter spokes so your energy is going to be transferred into it better on the climbs, you cold get some lovely pro 4 tyres and latex tubes for the price difference and have change

jamin100

Guru
I am not sure it matters - I got the Zondas recently and absolutely love them. They are replacing stock wheels on a Giant Defy so are bound to be an upgrade, but I have been very pleased with the perceived value for money.

Same here, I think if i went for a cheaper wheelset i'd always be wondering what the zondas were like and would end up buying them eventually anyway

lesley_x

Über Member
I couldnt climb on my ksyriums as they would flex and rub my chainstays with the scirroccos they were gery rigid and got me up the hills much better, youve got to think that the deeper rim means shorter spokes so your energy is going to be transferred into it better on the climbs, you cold get some lovely pro 4 tyres and latex tubes for the price difference and have change

What on earth are you doing on your bike to cause a wheel to flex and touch your chain stay? Might want to revisit your 'climbing style'...........

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Got my planet x's today for £100 ....wow amazing!!! Dont like the gloss though so ill be sticking a matt laquer over it, might get some dark grey union jack decals or something for the rims as the plain look isnt doing it for me! I also spent the day re building the fulcrums from scratch bearings and all and they are now spot on feel very responsive actually for the price of them. The tyres were included and the colour dosent really match but they seem high end enough!
image.jpg

zer07

You wont regret them! The lad i gave mine to said they have transformed his bike over the fulcrum 7's he had on

For the first time ever I can't believe that I'm getting excited over a pair of wheels! :laugh: I am really looking forward to trying them out.

I'm in the same situation ,I actually was gonna order them a couple of weeks ago but decided to keep reading reviews and undecided,I'm thinking the difference in price would tyre and inner tube the sciroccos and still be cheaper than the Zondas, but Zondas 200g lighter,if the Sciroccos are ok up hills I'd be happy as I'm not the best climber,but got a bit of overtime due so Zondas look fav at the moment but this could change AGAIN :wacko:^_^:okay:

Well, I'm just gonna transfer my existing tyres and buy a long nose valve inner tube and take it from there. I may well get some other pro tyres (GP4 Seasons on the wheels atm). I also umm'd and ahhh'd over the lighter weight of the Zonda's and then weighed out what 200g actually looks and feels like. Basically its the weight of a small cup (try it.....get the scales out and see), so are you REALLY going to notice it? I don't know, maybe when the Scirocco's wear out I'll get the Zondas and then I can properly compare.

Tell you what, they should arrive before the weekend and I'll fit them on either Sat or Sun and post up some before and after pics. I must admit from a purely atheistic look I prefer the Sciroccos. Both sets are very good so which ever ones I would have chosen it would be a step-up from the stock (AXIS Classic) wheels anyway.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
How heavy are you @jack smith cause it would take some sort of power to flex the wheels enough to hit the chainstays.....

I doubt even griepel or kittel do that and they put out monster power. Think you need to learn to spin up climbs

gmw492

Veteran
For the first time ever I can't believe that I'm getting excited over a pair of wheels! :laugh: I am really looking forward to trying them out.

Well, I'm just gonna transfer my existing tyres and buy a long nose valve inner tube and take it from there. I may well get some other pro tyres (GP4 Seasons on the wheels atm). I also umm'd and ahhh'd over the lighter weight of the Zonda's and then weighed out what 200g actually looks and feels like. Basically its the weight of a small cup (try it.....get the scales out and see), so are you REALLY going to notice it? I don't know, maybe when the Scirocco's wear out I'll get the Zondas and then I can properly compare.

Tell you what, they should arrive before the weekend and I'll fit them on either Sat or Sun and post up some before and after pics. I must admit from a purely atheistic look I prefer the Sciroccos. Both sets are very good so which ever ones I would have chosen it would be a step-up from the stock (AXIS Classic) wheels anyway.
No that's what I mean I wouldn't probably notice the difference in weight your right,look forward to your reviews,Ribble are offering an extra 10% off for Bank Holiday I think ,im looking at the Conti Grand Prix tyre as I'm not keen on the brown rim on the Gators and Seasons,And yes any of the 2 will be a big improvement on the Axis :okay:

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
15stone odd, was just about to mention the 10 percent off at ribble for the bank holiday! Went out on the planet x's today Deadly fast on the flat and decents but quite flexy on the hills, they seem to be rubbing abit on the chainstays too. Must say i think the scirroccos were probably the best allrounder.

Took the fulcrums out for a couple of miles right after and they definatley feel stiffer, spin up and repond better than the carbons which is surprising, but i did re tension the spokes yesterday and swap over a couple of nipples.

Top Bottom