£300 a week on petrol!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Very brave. You are really setting yourself up for a lot of abuse, made worse by the fact that BMW and Audi drivers seem to be the hated amoung cyclists!

I got accused of being an Audi driver by some knob on here just by a comment I made and I don't even have one. I've since learned to not mention anything at all that might be interpreted as pro-car on here, even though I dislike driving. Just the odd person in a tiny minority thinks you are the devil lol. I guess he just thought I was a bell-end so I had to own an Audi :wacko: That ignore button came in useful..

Last edited:

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
70 miles each way = 700 miles a week. £300 = 50+ gallons = about 14 mpg
I have been going to Washington from Essex for the week. That's just over 600 miles a week and I spend about £50.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used to spend 300 a month on fuel with a couple of jobs I had before getting back on the bike for commuting, but it also involved getting a job nearer home, not 30 miles away.

It's just silly. Burning money like that. I regretted putting £40 in the car yesterday, but we have a couple of trips to do next week on half term.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I got accused of being an Audi driver by some knob on here just by a comment I made and I don't even have one. I've since learned to not mention anything at all that might be interpreted as pro-car on here, even though I dislike driving. Just the odd person in a tiny minority thinks you are the devil lol. I guess he just thought I was a bell-end so I had to own an Audi :wacko: That ignore button came in useful..
I find the same thing with football.....if you write anything other than praise for it :wacko:

Prior to retiring I was commuting 1000 miles a week, mostly motorway M40, M25, M3, M27 and could get 60+ mpg from my Citroen C4 Picasso diesel. To get this I drove all the way at 60 mph on cruise control down the inside lane, this meant an extra 5 minutes at the most on any single journey up against the 80/40/90/50 speeds in the cut and thrust of the outside lane :smile:

I think the evidence is clear on this case.

With the mileage being achieved per gallon, this guy is driving like a muppet.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think the evidence is clear on this case.

With the mileage being achieved per gallon, this guy is driving like a muppet.

Or he weighs 10 times as much as Miss Piggy.

Kies

Prior to retiring I was commuting 1000 miles a week, mostly motorway M40, M25, M3, M27 and could get 60+ mpg from my Citroen C4 Picasso diesel. To get this I drove all the way at 60 mph on cruise control down the inside lane, this meant an extra 5 minutes at the most on any single journey up against the 80/40/90/50 speeds in the cut and thrust of the outside lane :smile:

I see more and more people using the inside lane and cruising along at 65-70 mph . Some with big engined variants

donnydave

Über Member
I've since learned to not mention anything at all that might be interpreted as pro-car on here,

I drive my car for pleasure, not even to particular destination for any real purpose, and I'm quite unconcerned that I get somewhere around 8mpg, then spend the rest of the day cleaning and fettling it. One of my favourite games is to drive around and find a Prius to overtake before we run out of fuel. My happiest weekends have been spent doing this with a couple of mates round, few beers, find something that needs angle grinding or welding and pretend we actually know what we're doing. Best not mention it. Ah....

screenman

Legendary Member
We have no idea how many miles the person does at the weekends, take for instance my son and his wife when she is riding a national series it can be Scotland one week Cornwall the next etc.

I have a 100 mile commute most days now, but thankfully I have a works vehicle and a fuel card to do it with, if I didn't I couldn't afford to do it myself.

Then when I get to work my wagon costs £300 to fill up and usually uses a couple of tanks a week averaging approx. 5mpg :wacko:

Yup, climate change is all my fault :rain:

FWIW I used to have a BMW 3 series coupe. It looked stunning in metallic blue with 18" M sport alloys. Sadly though you couldn't see the exterior when you were driving it, and the sombre interior nearly had me slitting my wrists, traded it the first chance I got!

Judderz

I don't like BMW or Audi drivers, they think they own the road.
No we don't...typical stereotyping at it's worst. Had a Vauxhall driver not use his indicators at a roundabout whilst on the phone yesterday, so 'ALL' Vauxhall drivers are now tossers?

I bought a BMW 316i Compact, mainly for BMW's reliability, plus the one I bought was a 1998 model with only 63k miles on the clock. 2 Mot's later and passed both times with nothing spent. Can't say that about the Vauxhall, Peugeot, Ford, or VW I had prior. A no brainer really....and it's cheaper on the insurance than the 1.4 Peugeot I had.

Top Bottom