£300000 per week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
The money paid is small fry to the people paying the wages, and will be worked out on a balance sheet somewhere I suppose.

As long as the 'fans' are paying to see the circus, the ringmaster will pay the clown.

The more 'fans' pay to see the clown, the more the ringmaster pays the clown.

I suppose a lot of people are paying money to see a clown.

Reactions: TVC

MarkF

Guru
The money paid is small fry to the people paying the wages, and will be worked out on a balance sheet somewhere I suppose.
As long as the 'fans' are paying to see the circus, the ringmaster will pay the clown.
The more 'fans' pay to see the clown, the more the ringmaster pays the clown.
I suppose a lot of people are paying money to see a clown.

That's entertainment! The money comes from salary, bonus's, endorsements, shirt sales etc Same as in most sports, even minority spectator sports. I did read somewhere that Mark Cavendish was on his way to $10m nett worth, not bad for pedaling a bicycle.^_^

Just getting ready to watch Boro v Leeds, before setting off to watch Bradford City v MK Dons, hope to back in time to catch the KO of Palace v ManU. A little respite before I watch Almeria v Malaga, then it's MOTD. Have to up early to coach my junior football team.

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
That's entertainment! The money comes from salary, bonus's, endorsements, shirt sales etc Sames as in most sports, even minority spectator sports. I did read somewhere that Mark Cavendish was on his way to $10m nett worth, not bad for pedaling a bicycle.^_^
And Tiger Woods has apparently managed to accumulate half a billion yankee dollars for hitting a ball with a stick. Even at his new wage, Shrek would have to put in another 25+ years to get there, and frankly, I have my doubts.

Not as simple as that. I've often thought of doing those things but then I think "why should I? Having been going the match for almost 50 years I was here before the greed that has ruined the game in the last 20 years". It was a massive part of my life then and still is now. I meet some good mates on match day and taking my son to the match from when he was 6 or 7 created a lasting bond and now he is in his mid 20s and lives away, it helps us make sure we keep in touch. Going to Wembley with him to the 2009 cup final was one of the best weekends of his life (so he tells me), even though we lost. If I stopped going to watch my team, not only would I no longer be able to do something I have enjoyed all my life (for myself) - there really is a big difference between watching at the ground and watching the same game live on T.V., but a huge part of my social life would disappear.

You are contributing to the greed. Simple.

Irrespective of your "lasting bond" etc, which I completely understand, you are part of it.

Despite my love of football I refuse to pay for SKY or attend matches involving big teams. I support a small team, always have done, and have no interest in becoming part of the nonsense.

MarkF

Guru
Despite my love of football I refuse to pay for SKY or attend matches involving big teams. I support a small team, always have done, and have no interest in becoming part of the nonsense.

My small team, having been totally poo most of my life, reached the PL, should I have refused to watch them?

Lullabelle

Banana
Helps to keep his chav wife in the manner to which she has become accustomed, who needs self respect when your knuckle dragger of a husband earns that much

young Ed

Veteran
awful really! :sad:
he probably claims his mars bars through the club as an expense anyway!
some jobs are worth much much more then this eg: military, mining, emergency services etc and many of them don't even get this in a year :sad:
Cheers Ed

People don't realise how much Rooney is loved by the fans. The last time I was at Old Trafford there was a stall outside selling Rooney dolls!

Oh hang on, sorry, that was a baked potato stall.

My small team, having been totally poo most of my life, reached the PL, should I have refused to watch them?

Possibly.
I have not gone to matches on the occasions when my team have been playing big teams and the entry prices have risen, I refuse to support the greed. Although at times when there is national cup games I do attend if possible. I never claimed to be consistent :laugh:

If my team was to be taken over by someone with loads of money and success was bought then I reckon I'd stop supporting them. I'd much rather they struggled away in the lower divisions and focussed on developing a community club as they do at present; the board do a great job, and have done for the decades that I have supported the team.

MarkF

Guru
Possibly.
I have not gone to matches on the occasions when my team have been playing big teams and the entry prices have risen, I refuse to support the greed. Although at times when there is national cup games I do attend if possible. I never claimed to be consistent :laugh:

My team spent the last 6 seasons hoofing it around the basement league, it was terrible, I had a season ticket but also bought game packages at the PL Lancashire clubs, I'll happily pay for quality and the quality difference between L2 and the PL is immeasurable.

This "greed" is, in general, nonsense. You will have to take my word for it but I saw Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal (amid lesser teams) at the Lancashire PL clubs for less than a match day ticket for an L2 game. Great value. You can buy a season ticket for Man U providing the same, or very near, entrance cost that I have paid at many L1 (division 3) clubs this season.

My team spent the last 6 seasons hoofing it around the basement league, it was terrible, I had a season ticket but also bought game packages at the PL Lancashire clubs, I'll happily pay for quality and the quality difference between L2 and the PL is immeasurable.

This "greed" is, in general, nonsense. You will have to take my word for it but I saw Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal (amid lesser teams) at the Lancashire PL clubs for less than a match day ticket for an L2 game. Great value. You can buy a season ticket for Man U providing the same, or very near, entrance cost that I have paid at many L1 (division 3) clubs this season.

Perhaps I need to clarify just how tight I am - football should cost £10.

MarkF

Guru
Perhaps I need to clarify just how tight I am - football should cost £10.

My ST for Bradford City works out at £8.65 per game. Walk up is £20 (I think). The PL games I saw worked out about a tenner.

OT but Bradford have a great scheme whereby you can buy a "Flexi" ticket and reserve a seat for £50. You then pay £10 for each match day entrance. This scheme has provided more profit than the ST's do (once hooked etc), more clubs should try this.

Top Bottom