£350 to spend on a single speed - what to get?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

park1

Looking to replace my road bike (57cm Lemond Alp D'Huez if anyone is interested £350) with a single speed as I only use the bike to commute to and from work abotu 3 miles. Most is pretty flat, but there is small steepish hill (about 50m long) at the end.

What do you experts think?

jim55

Guru
specialized langster for that money

OP
OP
park1

park1

Thanks guys, none for sale near me unfortunately, and i'm not keen on buying blind. Any other suggestions.

I quite like the drop handle bars, but would be just as happy with a flat bar.

OP
OP
park1

park1

brand new or second hand ?

Kind of depends on whether I can get something decent for that price. I'd rather get new, but something uprgradable would be nice.

3 miles? Personally I'd walk

Didn't realise i was on walkchat.net :thumbsup: Seriously though I shattered both my heel bones about five years ago. A 3 mile walk on pavements causes aches and pains. Plus, spending money on shoes is no where near as fun as spending money on a bike!

jim55

Guru
well tbh everything is upgradeable!!!lol ,id say get a bike with a good frame and forks as a starting point cos in reality youl prob want to change all the rest .
there is loadsa choice but personally id b looking at something second hand or even buy an older style road bike and convert it if u like tinkering (and they look really good) ,if ur going pre built then most bigger names have a ss offering in their range ,its just finding one at the right money ,no reccs as in "buy this,,,
"what i would say is dont limit yourself ,you may have to travel to get a bargain ,,as opposed to buying blind i think ul b very lucky to find exactly what u want and try before you buy ,unless you spend a good bit more and buy brand new from evans or such ,,,take ur pic"

OP
OP
park1

park1

Cheers Jim, yep I think the search wil be half the fun. Luckily I have a good mate who is a proper cycle head and likes his single speeds so i can get some advice from him. He's bit of a purist though and is all about self building - i'm not so mechanically gifted, and finding the time with a 3yr old daughter, and indulging my other passion which is kitesurfing, leaves little time for the necessary work.
If I can find a frame and some forks, there are some decent bike builders around that can help.

jim55

Guru
there will prob b a fixed gear forum in yr area try london fixed gear and single speed (lfgss forum-theres prob a local "scene "thing for loadsa cheap parts if u go down the self build route

djb1971

Legendary Member
The Edinburgh revolution track is a decent bike but a little heavy. On the lower end of the scale there's the Viking racemaster, it looks lovely with a retro paint scheme but again it'll weigh a ton. The genesis flyer is a lovely bike but it seems to be getting more and more expensive! Wish I still had mine and the day one cross!

The langsters ok but they are a responsive but harsh ride, you should look for a nice steel frame. There's plenty out there reduced at the moment. I've just purchased a jamis Sputnik. It's one of the cheapest bikes I've had and it's great. It'll take guards and a rack and rides lovely. They do one with a flat bar called the beatnik which is on sale at Evans at the moment, it's got lower end stuff than the Sputnik but a bargain.

Just have a look around and ask on here for opinions if you're unsure, most now have discounts on them to start making way for new stock.

Alex11

Looking to replace my road bike (57cm Lemond Alp D'Huez if anyone is interested £350) with a single speed as I only use the bike to commute to and from work abotu 3 miles. Most is pretty flat, but there is small steepish hill (about 50m long) at the end.

What do you experts think?

I love the Giant Bowery personally, I think it's a beautiful bicycle, very stylish and modern.
There is one basically brand new (less than 10 miles ridden) with Brookes bar tape on it in Bristol for £275. http://www.trade-it.co.uk/for-sale-...ot-18054334.html?impression=normal_impression

Short train ride from you in Plymouth and a beautiful bike.

What d'you think?

Top Bottom