1.0 litre 3 pot turbo engines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Not in my experience.
You have more experience than I, I have only driven one once, that was after stepping out of a 2.3 Turbo diesel, I just felt I had to pedal the box more than the diesel, but maybe after time you would adapt.

Johnsop99

Veteran
I've had three V Tecs over the years, 2.2 Prelude, 1.6 CRX and a 3.0 Accord. Best of the bunch by far at high revs was the 2.2. The 3.0 litre Accord just didn't seem to have any poke.
Hondas best VTEC! 800cc of V4 happiness.

D

Deleted member 26715

Hondas best VTEC! 800cc of V4 happiness.
Had one of those last year or year before, the sound when the V-Tec was on song was fantastic, but I was very disappointed in the bike, I'm not particularly long legged at 32" inside, but I was cramped on it, sold it for a RS1200GS which I was also hugely disappointed in as well.

johnblack

Über Member
I just bought my daughter a 3yo Aygo, I drove it the other day and I quite enjoyed it, bit noisy, but was like driving a little go-kart. Wouldn't fancy doing much in the way of long distance driving in it but for local stuff it's pretty good. Don't think it's quite as refined as the the Up/Mii/Citigo, but I got a great deal on it compared to the same age VW Group product.

gbb

Legendary Member
I've just remembered, :rolleyes: my better half had a Renault Captur when they first came out, kept it for a year or so, then bits started to fall off. That was a 0.9 three cylinder turbo, my mind must be going.

Have to say fuel economy was very good, but if you pressed the economy button it would struggle uphill.

From what little I can remember the engine was much more smoother than the C1.

So I've owned one without even remembering....doh, what a plonker :blush:
This may chime with my MILs observation. She has a 1.0 turbo Clio, maybe 17 or 18 plate. She finds it 'lacking' on hills.

They have been around for a few years now with most manufacturers having them in their range. Sometimes in quite big cars.

What they like then, do they have the 3 cylinder out of balance vibration and noise and what about longevity, torque, grunt etc.

I keep reading this term by petrolheads, but what on earth is 'grunt'?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Child 2 has a VW Up! For longer journeys it can be fatiguing. 70 mph around 3000 rpm. But driven as designed, i.e. a city car, it's perfectly acceptable.
Presumably a bigger more family orientated 3 cylinder car would have more appropriate gearing.

D

Deleted member 26715

I keep reading this term by petrolheads, but what on earth is 'grunt'?
Effectively it is like torque the ability to accelerate, probably if we were riding together & we came to a hill your legs would have more grunt than mine to get up it, I would drop down to the lowest gear & just keep steadily pedalling, I would not get out of the seat. You on the other hand may decide not to change gear & stand on the pedals, use reserves in power that you have available to help you get up the hill at the same speed or even increase. My current engine probably could be compared to a 0.5L without turbo, although after eating vegetables I sometimes wonder!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have a 1.5 litre, 3 cylinder BMW. It is in a 7 seater and is perfectly fine to drive in all conditions. I have had some 'tasty' cars in the past and still regularly drive some and am not disappointed at all with the engine. I can only just about tell it is a 3 cylinder.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I just bought my daughter a 3yo Aygo, I drove it the other day and I quite enjoyed it, bit noisy, but was like driving a little go-kart. Wouldn't fancy doing much in the way of long distance driving in it but for local stuff it's pretty good. Don't think it's quite as refined as the the Up/Mii/Citigo, but I got a great deal on it compared to the same age VW Group product.
In our ageing C1 I have driven non-stop from Oxford to the far end of the Isle of Skye and also From Oxford to Orleans France non-stop. Yes, very go-karty and not an engine in a high state of tune I wouldn't think, but on both occasions the little car went just fine. Purrs along on the outside lane of the motorway quite happily (unless big hills) and not the fastest acceleration around, but otherwise was just peachy! Love it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The Captur (from what I can remember) was an easy going comfortable car and very practical.

Wonder if they are screwed together better now. We had one of the first when they came out.

I wouldn't have another one though, not because of the engine, but because of poor build quality.
we have a dacia stepway which is basically the ugly duckling of the captur but the same tech underneath, we have had ours nealry 2 years and its great for the sort of driving we do,It certainly has a lot more power than the 1.6 4 cyclinder in the vauxhall we had before , i am not saying its a powerful engine but seems to have more torque as a hill the old car used to struggle to get into 3rd the dacia will happily get into 4th and keep accelerating .

johnblack

Über Member
In our ageing C1 I have driven non-stop from Oxford to the far end of the Isle of Skye and also From Oxford to Orleans France non-stop. Yes, very go-karty and not an engine in a high state of tune I wouldn't think, but on both occasions the little car went just fine. Purrs along on the outside lane of the motorway quite happily (unless big hills) and not the fastest acceleration around, but otherwise was just peachy! Love it.
That's good to know, I haven't really driven a car of that size for a number of years so more down to my experience. I must admit, the small cars I had when I was her age were dreadful in comparison to the Aygo, the kids don't know how good they've got it!

Top Bottom