11 Speed, Single Chainring MTB - Won't It Cross Chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbine

Was wandering around Halfords earlier and thought I would have a look at the bikes on sale. Noticed a MTB with 11 rear sprockets and single chainring. So, won't a setup like this cross? Or, does it have a special chain, etc? Have I missed something?

U

User33236

The single front ring sits closer to the centre line on the rear cassette meaning you only go 5 or so cogs either way from the centre one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Note that SRAM advertise all gear combinations (including big/big little/little if that's what you want) as being useable on their compact double groupsets.

OP
OP
woodbine

woodbine

User33236>>>>>>> Thanks. That makes sense, but I would imagine that if the chainring was mounted in line with the centre rear sprocket, ranging between 6 sprockets either way must be on the limit.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Note that SRAM advertise all gear combinations (including big/big little/little if that's what you want) as being useable on their compact double groupsets.
And they totally are

User33236>>>>>>> Thanks. That makes sense, but I would imagine that if the chainring was mounted in line with the centre rear sprocket, ranging between 6 sprockets either way must be on the limit.
The majority of 1x users aren't really going to care much for a little extra chain wear(if there is any?) Considering most of the systems appear on MTB, CX and gravel bikes a bit of crosschaining is probably the least of the stresses it will endure

Levo-Lon

Guru
I have 11 speed mtb..
you only really use the extremes for short periods..
plus your on narrow wide front sprocket and a thinner chain so not that much twist.
it works beautifuly as it happens

OP
OP
woodbine

woodbine

Thanks for all the info. I run a 30 year old MTB with 18 gears (Uniglide/Biopace). Suddenly I don't feel quite so guilty for occasionally running in large outer front ring and large inner rear sprocket occasionally.

I'm considering getting a modern hack for everyday use so the 'retro' can have an easier life in old age (some drivetrain parts are getting rare too, so lowering wear would help). Poss new or nearly new, but not big money. A MTB mainly for road, but preferably with no more than 18 gears - as I'm too lazy to swap through more. Definitely want Shimano, etc quality drivetrain - but lots of new 18 gear bike seem to have cheap gears.

D

Deleted member 1258

Single speed?

Fixed

outlash

also available in orange
Just bought a cross bike with SRAM rival 1 and so far, it works fine. What you have is alternating thick/thin teeth on the chainring (and I believe jockey wheels) that help to keep the chain in the right place.

Top Bottom