2 hours to remove 2 pedal :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keeno

My god what an evening I put in.

I bought some Shimano Ultegra 6620's today to stick on my giant SCR3, simple enough swap I thought. How wrong was I.

Started off ok and took about 5 minutes to get off the first pedal, but I have literally been sat in the garage beating the crap out of the other pedal with a hammer, it was stuck fast. My neighbour must think I am a total nutter as I have been shouting like a lunatic at the bike. Fortunately just as I was about to give up the pedal came loose.

Going to get some grease tomorrow and make sure there is plenty on this time.

Keeno said:

I bought some Shimano Ultegra 6620's today to stick on my giant SCR3, simple enough swap I thought. How wrong was I.

Started off ok and took about 5 minutes to get off the first pedal, but I have literally been sat in the garage beating the crap out of the other pedal with a hammer, it was stuck fast. My neighbour must think I am a total nutter as I have been shouting like a lunatic at the bike. Fortunately just as I was about to give up the pedal came loose.

Owww. Poor bike.

Keith Oates

Janner
Sometimes getting a pedal off can be a problem, greasing the threads as you've suggested should make it easier next time and don't overtighten when fitting the new ones. For me it's usually the left one that's a problem and what I've done to overcome it is to find a concrete block or similar and lay the right pedal and crank along this. Then get a friend to sit on the saddle and you can get more leverage on the pedal 'nut'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maz

Guru
How long was the shaft of the spanner? You get much better leverage on long shaft spanners.

LLB

Shock is more effective than brute force to free a thread. Rest the end of the crank on a breeze block (cushion with a cloth) Use a good quality spanner and give the other end of the spanner a clout (make sure its in the right direction :wacko: )

The problem is that you get an electrolytic reaction between the two different metals and this forms Aluminium oxide in the threads. Use grease as Keith said on the pedal thread and the jobs a goodun :ohmy:

Keeno said:

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is the bike ok????????????????????????????

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Dare I ask whether you know one of the pedals threads 'the wrong way round' - ie, you have to go clockwise to loosen it? I presume you do, since you say you did loosen it in the end, but I remember this one stumping me for ages the first time I replaced pedals.

doyler78

Well I tried for 2 weeks. Everyone that came into the house had to have a go at trying to get it off. In the end I had to take it to the LBS and get them to remove. I tried thumping it, soaking it in hot water, using GT-85. Wanted to change pedals again a few weeks ago. Had the same problem again so didn't even both trying to hard this time. Straight off to the LBS. Damn cursed things.

OP
OP
K

Keeno

[quote name='swee'pea99']Dare I ask whether you know one of the pedals threads 'the wrong way round' - ie, you have to go clockwise to loosen it? I presume you do, since you say you did loosen it in the end, but I remember this one stumping me for ages the first time I replaced pedals.[/quote]

Lol, did that for the first pedal and ony realised by mistake ;) The second was just plain stubborn.

yenrod

I remember once nearly rendering myself disabled when i scraped my knuckles on the chainrings once...not recommended !

Top Bottom