20 mph speed limit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Chris Rea is starting off tomorrow for this years Christmas holiday in Wales

Its about time someone brought him a sat nav

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There are lots of jokes going around at the moment about this. People in Wales don't want it. Its crazy that on the A470 going through our village is now 20mph, but the lane that I live on which is a single track road and I can drive at 60 mph if I am really stupid enough to do so.

People ignore the 30mph roads as it is, so they won't take any notice of 20mph signs.

Cars are going to be releasing more emissions due to the low speed so villages are going to have to suffer the consequences of that.

Drakeford is being a bit of d**k with his responses to journalists and I think not enough though has been given to exactly where and in what places and circumstances the 20mph rules are enforced. In my local town, the 20mph is started nearly a mile from the town itself.

Watch this space as they say.

Tenkaykev

Guru
As Mao said (about the French Revolution), it's too early to tell yet.
Read an article recently where it was argued that he was in fact referring to the 1968 kerfuffle.

And also makes it much more pleasant for the pedestrians who aren't intimidated by huge lumps of metal whizzing past six inches away

The railway station by me is on a fairly busy road. Theoretically a 30 but it's not a nice walk down a small pavement with cars passing inches away at speed. I genuinely feel safer on my bike.

I'll take a more roundabout route now that avoids the main road if time permits.

Whilst I do broadly agree that 20mph is "a good thing" (tm), even though as a driver it can be annoying on what seem to be not-that-residential through routes, one curious but unsurprising effect is it smooths out traffic flow. This actually makes it harder to pull lut at a junction or cross the road as a pedestrian. Noticed the latter in Whitladies Road in Bristol, a shopping road but also a through route.

That's interesting. I've found it far easier to cross roads that are now 20 rather than 30.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
That's interesting. I've found it far easier to cross roads that are now 20 rather than 30.

My observation was on a specific, quite busy, road. With a 30mph limit traffic was bursty, so there were lulls. At 20mph traffic was pretty much continuous, so to was harder to spot a gap to safely cross. The corollary is that average speeds were presumably higher with the lower speed limit. This is in no way an argument against the lower speed

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Speed limits without enforcement are pointless.

I would disagree with this. I know several drivers who simply do not break the speed limit. Not because they're worried about getting a ticket or killing someone, but because they know what the speed limit is and don't break it. Maybe the drivers of the car(s) behind them have the same mindset, maybe not... but that limit is being enforced by the vehicle in front. :smile:

Top Bottom