20 mph speed limit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

1695225649070.png

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
An interesting thing (I’m sure everyone agrees) about exponential functions is that the derivative of e^x is also e^x. This means that the rate of growth of an exponential function also increases exponentially. As does the rate of growth of the rate of growth, and so on. Is there any type of function that has the potential to grow more quickly? Not that I know of. Compound interest is an example of exponential growth which is why it’s good to be earning it and less good to be paying it. Einstein described compound interest as the eighth wonder of the world.

Simples

e ^ (e ^ x) or (x / e) ^ x etc.

Last edited:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
In my opinion, all driving, good or bad, is a choice.

Indeed, many people might not know they're making that choice, or their ability to choose has been inhibited by poor emotional behaviour from other people in their lives, so perhaps it's a parent, a partner, the landlord or the boss at work who is creating conditions that prevent people from choosing not to drive?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Cheeky sod, I ain't that old. ^_^:laugh:

Had a bit of banter with someone in the pub last night. I'd overheard him talking to the barmaid about cramming for an exam and getting a "b". Slightly nosily, I enquires what he'd done, intending to congratulate him on his result. Turned out it was his O-level in whatever back in the day, and he said they used to write in chalk on slates back then. I was even older than him so responded that we'd written in cuneiform on wax tablets and didn't have slates in my day

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Apologies for going back on topic after all the entertaining side-tracks, to which I've contributed, had two visits to Cardiff this week, and the vibe seemed to be everyone driving at 20(ish) and everything running smoothly. I think I had one bloke up my arse wanting to put a
move on but only one out of dozens of other motorists who seemed cool with it. On the other hand a couple of conversations suggested it would greatly delay their jobs (multiple short trips in town looking after old people, my Dad for instance). My two (anecdotal) experiences suggest to me that smoothing out traffic speed helps keep traffic
moving and that the average speed is likely not much slower.

Doesn't seem a bad thing overall

Drago

Legendary Member
Had a bit of banter with someone in the pub last night. I'd overheard him talking to the barmaid about cramming for an exam and getting a "b". Slightly nosily, I enquires what he'd done, intending to congratulate him on his result. Turned out it was his O-level in whatever back in the day, and he said they used to write in chalk on slates back then. I was even older than him so responded that we'd written in cuneiform on wax tablets and didn't have slates in my day

You sprog. In my day we had to paint on dave walls for our exams.

albion

Guru
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/n...eeting-road-safety-concerns-b6296-wolsingham/

Seems they are all simpler than Matt Baker, who has the family farm near there.

figbat

Slippery scientist

Totally get this, completely understand the logic, but what it also says is that there is a threshold death rate that is acceptable. One person in ten is OK to die. The line not shown is the one that says "Not hit by a vehicle traveling at any speed - 10 out of 10 pedestrians survive". Reducing speed minimises the risks, but is that it? Are there also actions put in place to prevent pedestrians being hit by vehicles? Reducing a speed limit is relatively quick and easy but it isn't the only solution and certainly isn't the ultimate solution.

For balance, I responded to the consultation about implementing a 20 mph speed limit in my village, in support. It has subsequently been enacted along with many more around my way and I do my best to adhere when in the car or on the motorbike. On bicycles I have been known to go faster based on my own dynamic risk assessment.

Top Bottom